Crash after crash

My specs:
Win10 64bit, 1909 Build
Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.6
16 GB 3000mhz RAM
GTX 1660TI 6GB
MSI B450 MOBO
All drivers current to include GPU, BIOS and chipset
Nothing overclocked, all settings on Ultra.
A bit more than 50 hours of game time so far.

No set pattern to crashes whatsoever. When they began, they tended to be as I was closing in on a safe house. Then they happened during battles with any and all robots and for the past week or so, completely random. Higher graphical settings produce fewer crashes which is the only constant.

For the past 2 days, my crashes have on occasion caused the entire system to crash and there has been no record in event viewer to share. When the game crashes, I send a crash report every time so there are dozens, perhaps near or more a hundred, reports that Avalanche has from me.

1 Like

These crashes only occur with GZ. No other game, no other program, nothing. Also, I close everything when I play so there are no other open processes other than system processes going.

1 Like

So this just happened… a complete system shut down.

• Provider

[ Name] Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
    [ Guid] {331c3b3a-2005-44c2-ac5e-77220c37d6b4}

EventID 41

Version 6

Level 1

Task 63

Opcode 0

Keywords 0x8000400000000002

• TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2019-12-31T23:42:20.274689500Z

EventRecordID 9583

Correlation

• Execution

[ ProcessID] 4
[ ThreadID] 8

Channel System

Computer DESKTOP-E2CHAPO

• Security

[ UserID] S-1-5-18

• EventData

BugcheckCode 0
    BugcheckParameter1 0x0
    BugcheckParameter2 0x0
    BugcheckParameter3 0x0
    BugcheckParameter4 0x0
    SleepInProgress 0
    PowerButtonTimestamp 0
    BootAppStatus 0
    Checkpoint 41
    ConnectedStandbyInProgress false
    SystemSleepTransitionsToOn 2
    CsEntryScenarioInstanceId 0
    BugcheckInfoFromEFI false
    CheckpointStatus 0

Heyo, thanks for the report. There’s been numerous other reports thus far about crashing, discussed and documented in this thread. The devs are aware of this issue and are looking into it.

I reckon once the holidays are over we’ll see some solutions coming up :slight_smile:

1 Like

This might point to FPS related stuff. I wonder how an FPS limit of 60 would stabilize games for some forum members playing on PC.

A complete system shutdown, however, would seem odd being cause by a game. I’d advise to systematically check your hardware for instability. Begin with a 3DMark stress test (try FireStrike as well as TimeSpy, on different resolutions). You can also try FurMark, but that one is at your own risk. Some call FurMark a “power virus”, for a reason.

The first component that comes to mind is the power supply during high-demand gaming as the graphics card usually drawn the most power). It could be to weak, or broken (and hence too weak).

This might be completely unrelated to other crashes you experience with this game. Event ID 41 from the source Kernel Power only tells you that the system’s shut down was unexpected or incomplete (interrupted).

EDIT: My advice assumes that you don’t see a blue screen (BSOD).

You also might want to look at CPU and GPU temps during gaming. If they are unusually high, they might point to a problem with your cooling solution. A CPU, e.g., might shut down hard when tripping the 105° threshold.

No BSOD at all pegnose. It’s bizarre. And the crashes and shut downs only occur with this game. Of the over 2 dozen games I regularly play that are intense graphically, including Metro:Exodus, this is the only one for which there is ever a problem. I tried playing Doom’16 yesterday at full 4k, something that the GTX1660ti can do but not at a full 60fps, and it was stable for over an hour of playing with no shutdowns or any other issues. CPU and GPU temps are fine with the CPU hovering around 75 and the GPU near 70. I’m running a thermaltake PSU, 80+ rated, that is fairly new. No issues with the power supply ever before and again, this doesn’t happen with any other games or programs. I am convinced it is software caused.

What is the Wattage and exact model of the power supply?

Playing at 4k with a 1660ti might lead to VRAM bottle-necking (nut sure, though) and reduced performance and power draw. This might cover up any issues you might have.

Maybe you can post your full PC specs.

Full specs in my first post. I just tried playing again. 3 crashes in 20 minutes. The most recent event viewer info:

Faulting application name: GenerationZero_F.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5de0eb78
Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00007ffce97d4940
Faulting process id: 0x3144
Faulting application start time: 0x01d5c0f06b7276fb
Faulting application path: G:\Steam\steamapps\common\GenerationZero\GenerationZero_F.exe
Faulting module path: unknown
Report Id: d0191fe0-9d4b-4758-8470-2dca2fc13559
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

New thing? I was not prompted in any of the 3 crashes to report the crash. That is the first time that’s ever happened.

I’m not sure of my exact model but it’s an 850 Pegnose.

Yeah, that should be enough in whatever way you connected the cables.

FWIW, I had a complete system shutdown recently. I wasn’t even gaming. I could not find anything, suspecting my power line to have had a hick-up. If that happened to you only recently and in close succession, it might have a completely different cause.

That is known to happen.

1 Like

After posting this, I moved my settings to Medium and moved to another part of the game, mainly away from the Apocalypse machinery. Lo and behold, no crashes for the better part of 2 hours. I am floored.

What was the new region level when you travelled there?

I always appreciate experimenting. But you just changed 2 things at the same time…

Ah yes and I recognized that so today I spent 3 hours, no crashes, with ultra graphics and avoided all apocalypse machinery. So I hope that there might be something to that. 0L0, I traveled to the western shore and worked on side missions, namely finding all the bunkers.

On a map, when you hoover on a region you’ll see on right a table with region level and score. What level is it on?

The Mountains Region and Farmlands. Mountains is 4, Farmlands is 2.

OK, and level of region you were crashing on?

4 and 2.

Of note, I have had many hours of crash free play. I suppose about 6 at this point. 2 crashes today thus far and both times were when I faced the apocalypse machinery.