Dates with Death, and a poll

And now we all just got even more curious :wink: It’s perfectly okay if you don’t want to answer :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

She said she would in another thread.

1 Like

I ignore Rivals - I just think of them aas more powerful machines that are stupid enough to broadcast their presence. I look for them on the map from time to time and if they have strayed too near a safehouse, I will go there and kill them, but it’s just out of spite.

I have two experimental weapons - the AG4 and the .50 cal. The .50 cal only does what I thought a .50 cal should do in the first place, so that fixed an unreality issue for me (and I like the humm), and the Ag4 is just such fun to fire, since it looks so destructive and cool, though I am unconvinced that it kills any better then my AG4 5*. the Plundra was welcome, though very possibly unnecessary, and I keep in it guns I never use but can’t bear to throw away (like the rest of my house).

I think the DEVs are definitely listening to criticism and suggestions. I’m not sure that they have listened necessarily to the right ones. I would have moved the game more towards the original concept, and less towards the Doom-Mongers.

After all, we now have: 1. More powerful Weapons 2. Storage 3. Bosses 4. Hordes 5. NPCs, but they haven’t fixed the mines and gas tanks longevity, which is central to ambushes and stealth and gueilla warfare.

I hope the next rwo or three updates take up back towards the promo video.

1 Like

Oh, okay, I’ll check. Thanks.

I have to agree about the Guerrilla tactics , mines are almost useless , and so is the Rocket Launcher, all other weapons are great and okay, but they need to fix this.

1 Like

Well, not useless but difficult to use (since you have to stand too close to them), and the 84mm, which would destroy anything short of a Main Battle Tank, has no more force than a hand grenade which would only damage a Land Rover IRL…

I think I might make some thought-out suggestions for the future, bringing it a bit back our way. Having said that, there is heaps in Alpine Unrest to love…

What i mean is that both mines and Rocket Launcher do only minor damage to Tanks and Harvesters, i understand in the beginning they were overpowered, but a mine takes 5% Health from a Fnix Tank, and if i remember correctly, more than 14 Rockets are necessary to take down a Tank. I just don`t use them at all because of this matter.

Hum. I use mines when I am fighting a Withdrawal In Contact with a too-large group of Hunters. Two will cripple a Hunter, and I drop them in sixes behind me. Rockets I use against groups of Runners at which they are wonderfully effective. One into a group will take down four out of five and leave the fifth smoking. I use them on Hunters, again in groups because one rocket will damage three Hunters equally. It will do x damage to one, fired directly at him, but x-1 damage to all three… They should be more powerful, because it it is difficult to aim and takes an age to reload. So I use both, but in specific circumstances.

I also use mines to cover my flanks when I am defending a position with difficult access in front (for a Hunter), but a sneaky way round the side. When it goes off, at least I have had some warning of being out-flanked. Likewise in barns, or Warehouses, where a Hunter can waft in behind you. Useful, both, but need adjustment…

1 Like

The way you use them is actually useful, that i must say, i must be too much used to using mines and rockets against armor units or waves of enemies that i don´t even consider using them in that way.

It’s totally of (this) topic. Put mines next to things that blow up more.

1 Like

That is a pragmatic way to see it. Actually, I like that. You are quite smart, @Bootie, but you are also so much older than me :wink:

And my first drop from a Rival was a 12G experimental shotgun. I was VERY unlucky! Anyway, now it is in the Plundra and I’m ready to move on. Like you I think of the Plundra as a weapons safe.

Yes, but it seems like there’s a lot of players that love these recent changes … :thinking:

1 Like

Yes, there are, and in that sense it has worked as intended. They were many of them calling for them, and they pretty much got a wish-list. For me (and I shall start a discussion on this where we meet sittiing down) it could be structured better.

1. the RIvals should be announced by Chummy at the end of the last mission. He says, “I will have to take measures against you…” You have finished the Main Missions (which are enough to keep you interested so far) but you have Rivals (and Experimental Weapons) to keep you playing thereafter. That’s what you do after you have finished - not needed before then, and sometimes even resented!

2. Do you remember a silly desktop app that did nothing except watch your mouse moving round the screen - oh, ages ago? Wherever you are on the map, the Rivals should turn towards you and make their way to kill you, no matter where you are or what you are doing. It may take them longer than whatever you are doing to get to you, but that’s not the point - they are Hunting you. Perhaps, it starts whenever you kill a machine - even a single lonely runner. It would give a sense of the Enemy being AWARE and taking action. You don’t need Experimentals before that, and if you wanted them, you could ignore all the side missions and just do the main ones, get your weapons and then go and do the Side missions, while being hunted by Chummy and his machines

I will think more on this…

2 Likes

I like number 1. @Simulacrum_Protogen once mentioned that Rivals and especially experimental weapons should have been introduced by story (something about page 1 in the screenwriters handbook). And I totally agree. Number 2 needs more work. Some players like the calm moments between fights. Being constantly chased might be too stressful to be enjoyable. But it does make sense that a rival tries to confront you.

2 Likes

Ah yes, but it is a slow-motion pursuit ! They don’t run - they’d overheat, they move. Imagine that it starts when you kill your first machine in the session. Chummy is AWARE (we know he knows who or what you are) and the SIGNAL goes out. You have to look at the map and decide: “Have I got time to finish what I am doing before they get here? Do I need to lead them away? Or do I kill a machine deliberately and prepare for battle! have I got time to kill that one, and avoid the others?”

They move towards you no matter where they are, even at the other end of the island. By the time you’ve finished the game, you are prretty blasé about machines - you’ve killed 40 tanks, but you can never quite relax, because they know you are out there, and you are constantly pitting your wits against Chummy, and he against you…

And this forces the playstyle.

Well, yes and no! You have to keep on your toes, have to be aware that there is a MIND out there somewhere (even if you can’t find it). But on the other hand, i could manage my adventures so as to keep out of their clutches if I chose, but I couldn’t get sloppy. I hate dying, but it normally only happens by accident now. But if the Rivals swept up machines with them as they came, you could have a blast-battle if you wanted and that’s the point of the Rivals in the first place. This would produce both Immersion and Doom-Mongering - i.e. both sets of fans happy…

How about this: once in a while one or two rival tank becomes aware of your position and starts RUNNING at you? Harvesters don’t, they are not made for running. But tanks are. Now, that would be a good scare to hear two running, stomping tanks approaching, and you would have to act quickly. Only once in a while to maintain the “Oh sh!t” effect and still allow for the quieter moments. I would love that.

@Flick, we are not entirely on topic. Hope that’s okay.

I have six live rivals being currently ignored - four of them are harvesters, two hunters. Never had a tank…

1 Like

My first was s harvester. My second was a tank.

We are completely off topic now. :wink:

2 Likes