Difficulty Continuity

So Pre-April 2020 was a difficulty I never experienced. I started playing sometime in late April after the patch.

Pre April 2020: Difficulty A
April 2020: Difficulty B
June 2020: Difficulty C.

That is 3 robot behavioral changes in 4 months. April being my favorite so far. Just saying. :smiley:

Are the behavioral changes something that will forever be tweaked between updates, or will there ever be some continuity? As in ok we now have 5 difficulty levels to make everyone happy. No more behavioral tweaking.

[This post has become long by accident. I do not apologise :smiley: ]

I have been playing Generation Zero since the very early days and I did fall in love instantly, setting, robots, ROBOTS! :cupid: Later on I fell out of love again, when heavy bugs and glitches were still a thing (that was back in 2019), had to stop playing after being 60hours in the game roughly, mostly solo. I was sad…

Earlier this year I got back, this time in co-op, and the difficulty was still okay (hard! challenging! sort of a player choice "stealth VS run and gun VS traps etc.) with a few exceptions. And those exceptions are most likely bugs and glitches (wall-glitching robots, non-stop chase/combat, very quick rocket spam etc.- has all been adressed by the latest patch afaik). I say most likely since I am not yet sure ^.^ Following some discussions and player reports about their experience here on the forums I am left with two thoughts/questions:

1. The perceived difficulty of the game hinges on so many factors, that the developers cannot rely on those player reports in written form alone to tune the game. Watching live gameplay should help the developers more, if they need that help.

2. Many things that happen in the interaction between player(s) and robots are not 100% clear to me as a player, especially early in the game. As in “Is this a bug or a feature?”

Which leads me to the following thought. If I cannot tell the robots abilities are meant to work like they do, how should I react to that scenario as a player? This is where love and frustration happen, as well as the other states of emotional attachment to the game :blush:

So here is what I think is happening: The mystery around the Robots and the World that you find yourself in as a player is a major part of the atmosphere and a core part of the game for me. Gradually learning about the Robots, adapting my tactics and approaches to what the machines do is another major part of the game and the atmosphere from my perspective.
Since it is necessary to keep the player in the “dark” for quite some time about the robots and potential weapons and tactics etc. to get this kind of atmosphere and gameplay dynamic going, you are obviously loosing some players on the way there because they do not have the patience / feel irritated / get frustrated. They feel like the game is too hard, unbalanced, broken. Unfair! or they just expected something different! And I do absolutely understand that. A game cannot get everyone in, unless it drops down to the most basic foundation and removes everything else. Generation Zero is not such a game. I am happy about that!

So, when discussing difficulty, i feel like the community does need to step out of their own experience and try to figure out some common points of scaling the difficulty against/with in order to arrive at some form of constructive feedback. Otherwise it is just us players swapping stories, which is totally cool to read in most cases btw. but not helping anyone making a better game or “understanding” how the game “is meant to be played” or tuning the difficulty in a meaningful way.

As for the point of how the player can understand his enemy and how mysterious and unclear that needs to be for how long? I cannot tell :smiley: The developers need to put their vision of that in the game. And leave it at that. Adding 3 difficulties is already really good and helps more people enjoy the game.

So, in the end, do we need to keep discussing difficulty as “a perceived 1 person experience” or is that maybe more like sharing battle-stories and comparing tactics. Does the game maybe need a “fair warning” screen? I have seen that in other games along the lines of “please do not expect to be a hero winning every battle from the start - this is a challenging game and stopping to fight is not loosing the game - experiment, co-operate, adapt, survive (or something like that)” Might be good to tell people what is coming their way in order to ease them in. Sort of thing.

And finally coming around to the posted topic: I really hope that the AI / difficulty tuning is not a permanent process for this game. Swaying with forum opinions might kill the game in its core. Taking into account what people feed back to the developers, I think the team does know what they want and do not want in their game. As far as I can tell, this is still the Generation zero i played and loved in 2019, just a better version. a much better version.

2 Likes

I always thought that the robots were and should be far superieur in their aiming, armor and fire rate. I often try to get away from the battle, when I need to refill my resources, and I always inwardly laughing when they keep tracking me for a long time, making it hard for me to get away without a fight. Especially the apocalypse hunters, they are really persistent. I like that, I feel they are supposed to be driven to get you. This makes it a wonderful game.

1 Like

Absolutely! The robots are out to get you and they do! The amount of time they can track you could be limited for gameplay reasons or kept indefinite for “realism” reasons or calling it immersion reasons maybe. I do not mind them following a lot, I would hate to loose the ability to back out of a combat entirely though. Mainly to give players some room to experiment without dying everytime. Since the latest patch it seems like I can get away from them again and can do my “experiments” :wink: Their aiming, armor, weapons should feel superior - and they do! Loving that! I just read/hear that a lot of people are confused by what the robots do. And I sometimes wonder if in a situation if i encountered a new robot ability - say…superior tracking in the dark with broken line of sight or if the robot just glitched and has perfect aim and track on me always at any time - I feel like the game has gotten that under control in the last patch and I really hope more people give it another go. I am certainly trying to get people to check it out (again) to try to get the better of those nasty robots ^.^ because we can!

I am still wondering about one thing for example: Some robots occasionally get into a mode where they do not stop firing. That is one of those moments I mentioned. I can tell myself “oh it shortcircuited” poor thing or I can say “well this looks like a bug, robo is stuck shooting” - In the end, I try to immerse myself into the gameworld and accept the shorted circuit theory ^.^

1 Like

Same here. It’s all about have a positive view about it. For instance, In the last DLC, you need to get some really heavy equipment, and you could think; How do i carry tons weighing armor plates in my backpack? I just think it’s been loaded onto a truck, unseen, and it is transported to where it need to be, instead of thinking this is ridiculously unrealistic.:rofl:

1 Like

You guys think as I do. You give meaning to something as opposed to whining about it. I expected robots with multiple sensors and tracking prediction computers to be far better than I at shooting. I learned to run and hoard supplies a long time ago.

June 2020 has them all short circuiting now. :laughing:

1 Like