More missions please

There almost wasn’t one.
There was a limited amount of backstory that happened before the game starts, but after a short lead-in of “I tried to find people, they weren’t there”, the story we actually experience is almost exclusively a loop of,

• I shot a bot
  • I found out some backstory
  • I shot a bot
  • I found out some backstory

It’s not until very late that we’re learning about (and experiencing!) current events, rather than about things that happened before the start of the game.

(And that’s as far as I’ll go here, because, spoilers.)

It is relatively easy to stock up on .50 cal. Preserve some, let’s say 30 rounds, or use an ammo box for that, and go kill a prototype harvester. I usually get ~60 AP and 60 FMJ from hat. Voila.

Of course you cannot use that thing as the only weapon.

But again, we are off topic.

For me this creates the atmosphere in the game, gradually finding out. And it gradually increases involvement and difficulty. Not saying there is no room for improvement, though. I just appreciate the approach.

It is now, yes. I was saying, during beta, the purple .50 felt more like the experimental in terms of damage output, but that was offset by ammo for it being rare.

I like the current tier 6 .50 and the drop rate for its ammo just fine, but if I had to choose between lowering the ammo drop rate or having a damage output like the tier 5 or below .50, I’d always pick “less ammo” over “feels like a pea shooter.”

I don’t mind the gradually finding out.
I do mind that a) there is not much to find out, and b) that we get almost no story (that we experience / that happens as we’re playing), only backstory (that we find out / that happened before the game starts).

Add to this that there are no cut scenes, and seemingly not much in the way of scripting / set pieces (beyond “while this quest is active, there will be certain bots in this location”), and you get an experience that may well be fun (it was for me), but does not produce much in the way of highlights or narrative.

Insult to injury, while skirmishes can be memorable to the individual, my favorite one happened crawling through the long grass advancing on the dog pack by the southern lighthouse in the night, vastly outgunned with the shitty gear. That’s one of my top 3 memories in the game, and I’ll never experience anything like it again, because, RIP crawl.

So yeah, fun things can happen (semi-randomly), but generally not so much in the service of a narrative.

(Let me once again mention Spiking the Guns, which not only was interesting tactically, but also because we didn’t just learn what happened there, but an important property of the ticks that felt strategically relevant looking forward. I wish there’d been more missions like that.)

Not sure I agree. But I am not through, yet.

That is the whole premise of the game, no?

Let’s hope for the future!

2 Likes

I dropped a radio inside (before it all kicked off) so afterwards I was able to get back inside and explore every inch. So, do that and you’ll be happy, and content. :smiley:

1 Like

Tell you what I liked (which was a bug, now fixed), which was to be wandering through the forest and suddenly hear gunfire in the distance. Well you had to go and look (and saw a Harvester raping a house), but I would love randomly spawning missions where you hear a firefight in the distance and fo and look to find live human defenders fighting from a house or a barn against a pack of machines, and you get to rescue them (whereupon they tell you they are staying put, or running for the ferry). it would gove the sense of being in a world where not everything depended on you - that there was “story” happening by itself. Now, clearly this would be false, but that wouldn’t matter. Once the coding was written for one location, it could easily multiply. I love the idea of having to go round all the Radio masts, aligning them in some way, but on your way, you hear desperate survivors fighting for their lives…

I get that the game is the game and when you finish you finish, but you’ve got this fab world created, and all you need is some action to continue in it.

3 Likes

Cut scenes are fabulously expensive and for such a small team a waste of resources, I think. Graham said as much in one of the weeklies… But the immersion in Alpne Unrest is better than before (at least I’m finding so…

1 Like

I feel strongly that cut scenes are not the style of this game.

2 Likes

I completely agree with you. For me all cut scenes remove my immersion surgically - the film is clearly about somebody else, and I only get to inhabit “his” body in order to “play the game bit” before the next cut scene where the professionals take over. Screw that!

Strangely, I got exactly the “it’s not about you” experience from the base game. I’ve often described the game setup as “arriving late for the apocalypse”. I felt very immersed picking through the wreckage, and learning about what had happened, and how it had gone down. I found all these little pockets of normal lives cut short. There’s that small love story across a few missions too, that got me.
I’ve seen a few odd things happen that lead me to believe something else was afoot in the world, and the way the main story played out, that thought still seems viable to me. It would suggest the living world I think, just without the survivors and “resistance” (who sound more like an inconvenience). I feel like the only one here who doesn’t think NPCs or human survivors were good idea. (I won’t buy the DLC for that reason.)

1 Like

Yes, I thought that until i was wandering through my forest and heard an engagement in the distance - the curiosity was intense, as was the feeling that at least someone wasn’t out looking for me!

The DLC is a gas. They’re getting the hang of more involvement and immersiveness, not to say immediacy. They haven’t got the NPCs right yet, but it’s fascinating all the same.

1 Like

I have no idea how that would work! Bless your algorithm - I get nothing from any Harvester of any level or any description that I can use, except one Advanced medkit. I only take them down out of spite.

I have never had a weapon, or any ammunition for a weapon I carry. Ever. Not one time. If I’ve got enough medkits, I no longer bother to search them, and that includes Rivals. I have spawned three Rivals on the new island, and all three are Harvesters.There’ll be nothing on them - not so much as a pair of socks. I’ll look, just for the pleasure of being disgusted, but I already know what I’ll get. Nearly all my Rivals are Harvesters - I’ve had three Hunters (from which I’ve had the three EX weapons I’ve got) but all the rest, and three more now.

I get my .50 al ammo from Normyra, or Tanks, but you have to use .50 cal on Tanks to get it (they give me whatever I used to bring them down, thus I use .50 cal, two or three rockets, and finish off with 7.62 - that way I get what I need…

I have this with Prototype Harvesters as well. Military or FNIX can be a bitch about loot.

I’m not sure whether I’ve actually missed a mission or environmental story-telling, or experienced it but took away something different from it. Could you elaborate (perhaps using spoiler tags or PM as needed)?

I was very, very wary of it. It’s certainly a change in tone. Between having regular quest givers in hideouts that wanted orange juice, and suitcases to loot, the DLC felt weirdly like “Dead Island in the snow.”

It kinda works, but yeah, change in tone. That said, it’s kinda nice that they kept the one style in the main game so there’s a clear separation. But something had gotta give. It didn’t have to be meeting quest givers, but something had to happen.

It could’ve been “You make contact on the radio, you build trust, you finally go there to meet them, but when you arrive, they’re all dead: Your communications allowed the machines to triangulate their position.”
(Yours as well, but you were in motion and alone, so the other survivors were the more attractive target.) The weapons you find on their corpses are your quest reward, but they’re a cold comfort. (This latter bit is of course already the case for weapon you take off army people; the difference here is that you first build a relationship with the people so it matters when they’re gone.)

Heck, even if you never meet the people, there could’ve been something more personal: “Strengths in Numbers” could have been such a mission. Right now, you hear the message, but by the time you get there, people are gone, and that’s it.

That could have been multiple hops, learning more about these people at every step, bonding with the in their absence.
For extra credit, you could’ve found pictures of them, so you could identify them in the final mission (keeping things a bit vague here, because, spoilers), as a kinda brick joke.
(Yes, that would’ve been a somewhat clichéd and heavy-handed ending, but our genre here is '80s scifi/action.)

etc.

And this is just random stuff I’m pulling out of my butt at 5am, making it up as I go. The main game should have been able to beat that twenty times over. :crying_cat_face:

(The DLC on the other hand had one one hop story, Father and Son, that I nonetheless liked, and it wasn’t because the questgiver was alive, it was because of the environmental story-telling at the destination.)

Spoilers

It’s a bit of a bitter-sweet ending. The estranged father you’re looking for is dead, but he didn’t die alone, and he spent his last time in his son’s room, and passed looking surprisingly peaceful. I found that rather touching for some reason.

tl;dr The story-telling didn’t necessarily need alive quest givers, but it was very weak and needed to step up its game somehow.

1 Like

Yes, and that in itself I have no problem with. (I might yet buy FO76 which does a similar thing.) It’s the combination of all the above factors. Or to boil it down to one snappy line,

“If almost all your storytelling is in artifacts you find, you’d better get some world-class writing.”

If you have many decent tools in your story-telling toolbox, none has to be fantastic, yet they can still synergize into a very decent whole. If there’s only one tool, it’s harder because everything (well, all storytelling, anyway) depends on it, and for the main game at least, the storytelling fell short for me.

@Ennui

I’m not sure how to dig out the parts, but it was the Veronika and Olle story. One mission in that was The Girl Who Cried Wolf, and there’s a note.

Summary

“Veronika,
Call me a coward if you want, but I just couldn’t face you, not right now at least, sorry. Fredrik kindly offered to pick up my boxes and stuff at your house on his way to work.
But let’s have that cup of coffee soon, like we said, okay? Maybe at Kålleby Fika, like old times.
Miss you. - Olle”

Over the pieces it looked like an awkward split, they miss each other. I think maybe Olle committed to the break, but as soon as there was trouble with the sirens or murders or something, he went looking for Veronika.
There’s also a mixtape, with the description “Happy birthday, Veronika! Love, Olle”. The mixtape is apparently one of the only things she kept after she and Olle broke up.

1 Like

Nice eye for the detail here! :slight_smile:

Thanks, Safe Harbor is another one.
I indeed remember reading this; it however didn’t quite hit home with me at the time, partially because it seemed about #20 on the list of her priorities at the time (“If she doesn’t care, why should I?”), and partially because I was cursing so much because I think there were no quest markers at the time, and I basically had to check every house in Kålleby, and then check every house in Kålleby again (see quest log), all while under fire and, at the time, being severly outgunned. :slight_smile:
I think I generally need a bit more than that to get emotionally engaged; with the exception of the main NPC, in GZ quests, people tend to appear, and then disappear or die long before I could ever bond with them or form a deeper interest in them.

1 Like

One of the reasons I bought this game was to practice my Swedish. I followed as much of the story as I could from answerphone tapes and reading the letters in world instead of the mission log window in English. I found it quite immersive to be going into a house and skimming a note left on the fridge - some of the details hit home a bit better for me that way. Then there’s the graffiti here and there… “Öppne inte, utomjordisk kolonisatör härinne!” gave me a good giggle.

@Ennui I have professional practice for collecting side information like this and building pictures (especially during serious chaos) so things like this jump right out at me. I don’t assume everyone immerses like I do.