New shotgun barrel as an "extension" and new slugs

Of course different ideas and suggestions have different levels of priority. I think everyone can agree that more of the map being opened up, more story, more missions, and some new core mechanics all take priority over new weapons, attachments, or ammo types—or even a comprehensive weapon rebalance, machine rebalance, or base defense rebalance.

Even more so, I think we probably all can agree that bug fixes and everything being made to work the way it should—fewer crashes, fewer glitches, fewer FPS drops—takes even more priority over anything new.

The future can be pretty far off, though, so that leaves a lot of room for brainstorming up all sorts of new ideas, and hoping that they’ll see the light of day at some point.

Development work should also be a bit more flexible than “eat the frog, forget the cake.” It is, or should be, entirely possible to split up work in such a way that both major and minor things get done, along and along. Major things should surely get the most time and effort dedicated to them, but the “frog” will be more appetizing if there are a few bites of “cake” tossed in here and there. While the major battle takes place, it should still be possible for a few small victories on the side to be secured. Otherwise, it is easy for people to get burned out…work too hard on the same thing, for too long, you get tired, sloppy, the work gets uglier, you start to care less. Not always the case, but definitely a possibility. Taking a momentary break from a major issue, shifting gears, working on other things for a short while, can help keep the workforce fresher, more interested and invested.

2 Likes

I think there is something to be said about Generation Zero and added content. For me, GZ is special. I can’t put my finger on it exactly… but it seems to stand out amongst other FPS games. I knew from the first time I played it that GZ would be in my top 5 favorite games in my life. I’m absolutely serious… I know most won’t agree, but everyone is different and every game hits differently for everyone.

I could go on and on about what I love about this game and why it feels… different to me. That would take a while and slightly jeer further away from the discussion of this post, but honestly I like that fact that the added content has been smaller, more thought out and “handcrafted” for a lack of a better word. Don’t get me wrong, I love massive open world DLC areas jam packed with 20 missions, parkour, vehicles and a fundamentally changed combat mechanics etc…

But for me, I don’t want GZ to be the big name, run of the mill, generic, billion dollar budget game. I like GZ specifically because it’s GZ. I like that it stands out and takes the road less traveled. I like that it utilizes “niche” mechanics and items that other FPS games avoid for fear of not being milk-toast enough like the last 20 shooter games.

Most players will disagree and I respect those players. But I think there are a lot of players out there who share a similar opinion to mine. In the end, I hope everyone gets everything they want in this game. Generation Zero is a gem and deserves all the attention it can get from those tireless developers who made it happen (and my hats off to them). I’ll be playing this game long into the future regardless. May this unique gaming story carry on into many successful years with add on content and sequels to come.

4 Likes

Although I know what you mean and I absolutely agree, this is not a topic about our opinion about GZ.
@Zesiir could you move this post to a topic that fits more?

1 Like

This is an important point to make and one that I have really overlooked. The bugs and glitches probably should take priority first before anything else. Although I think a lot of progress has been made, IMO.

To your point, brainstorming about weapon attachments and other added content it is nice to do while we wait for a more polished GZ. It would be amazing if the shotgun attachment (chokes mentioned) and shotgun slugs suddenly came along all from this thread. Still, I will be happy with anything even remotely related!

2 Likes

@Zesiir Please consider allowing my post that @Madchaser asked you to remove, to remain. It is in relation and response to above posts. It has my opinions but is also is about add-on content at its core, which is the core of this thread. Thanks!

2 Likes

I’ll leave the post as it is, don’t worry about it :+1:

//Mod

3 Likes

For me, what I like most about GZ is the setting. “Red Dawn” meets “Terminator”… Maybe some folks don’t care for the simplicity of that comparison, but, it is what it is. As an old-school action movie fan, it is unavoidable for me to describe it right away just like that. And I mean the old “Red Dawn”—not the new one.

…and to have it set in a part of the world that is often left unseen, not usually a focus of games set in modern-ish times, and especially not gunslinging action games? Scandinavia gets plenty of visibility in classic fantasy type settings and historical action, Vikings and trolls and all that, some walking-sim style story games and puzzle games, even some real-time and turn-based strategy—but a looter-shooter (that isn’t a PVP BR)? That’s a very different look.

And co-op, on top of that? I love me some co-op. Ever since HALO, every game should’ve made every attempt to include co-op.

GZ was on my RADAR from the very first moment I heard of it, waayyy back when, but I’m the type that is slow to jump on to whatever the newest thing is. I wait and see. I heard about the glitches, the problems, I waited. Things improved, things grew, I got to try the game for free and decided it was worth buying, and so a little over a year ago I got into it, and brought somebody else along for the ride. The co-op makes it for them, too.

More story elements and expansions, I’d love to see. But I’d love to see some other stuff trickling in along the way, as it has—or included as part of a more major release…that would be even better. As I understand it, when FNIX Rising first launched was when melee weapons were also first introduced. The description for that DLC, at least, suggests that it was indeed when the bats and sledges made their appearances. Likewise, it is my understanding that the launch of Alpine Unrest was when the belt-fed MGs first showed up, with the KVM-59 and KVM-89 added in that expansion when it first came out—again, going by the DLC’s description… A lot has changed since, and now those four weapons are just base game items regardless of DLC, but in my opinion that sort of trend is ideal; more story, more lore, more missions—and more this and that to go with it.

Sorry if this does otherwise seem off-topic, but, well, there you have it. And as it has been laid out, it would indeed be entirely possible to add missions that lead to the discovery of such new items, or new mechanics. Which has also been the case previously, with the Firebirds and our Runner companion, etc.

2 Likes

Fantastic. That’s a great comparison. Yeah I think there is something that hits when it comes to the 80’s theme and aesthetics. I agree that Sweden is a theatre that stands apart from the rest. There’s something highly simplistic and satisfying about the entirety of this FPS, making this game extremely replayable. This game is made for Co-op play.

I’ll probably be happy with what DLC they release tbh. Even if it isn’t an expansion but I am certainly hoping for an expansion. I had heard that there were no plans to use any of the unused islands, which blows my mind… I guess time will tell. Maybe some new weapons, attachments and equipment will suffice.

2 Likes