Not intended for solo play

I started a new game after the June update and it is torture
way more machines than I can handle alone and trying to play it smart doesnt work
kept some trees between me and a runner, it was doing a great job of blocking the bullets and he charged into it but before i could finish him off a f tick came out of nowhere
outside of the salthamn bunker i was attacked by a Hunter, i died and respawned in the bunker but it was still there shooting where i died. its constant firing attracted more hunters and i had to slowly and painfully chip away at them, with my Möller as it is the only weapon i have with ammo. eventually i get them after multiple deaths but multiple runners and hunters chasing me through the town got annoying and i had to quit.
might need to just play it more with other people to make some progress

2 Likes

I agree. It is really hard now. I remember when I played for the first time, and I enjoyed the fact that I wasn’t thrown right into combat from the start. Now when I restarted after the June update, I feel that there are too many robots on the starter island. I have died many times, and I end up only having ammo for the Möller. I doubt that I would have enjoyed the game if I played it now for the very first time.
I liked the lonely, scary feeling of the starter island before the May update. And I liked the slow pace. Now it is a little too much action for my taste.

5 Likes

On the other hand, I can totally see how the game could have been quite boring if you started the game in coop, and spent 30 minutes of exploration without even seeing an enemy.

1 Like

@kakarron / @haxxlinus, do you know if there were a large amount of robots on starter island before you restarted your games? ie, were there less robots on starter island when you were using your save data created before the June update? Just wondering, as I have been thinking about restarting and seeing what it’s like. I’ve ventured to starter island to see the robot issue for myself but it doesn’t seem to have changed as there aren’t very many robots. I’m guessing if I remove my current game save and start over, there will be many more robots? Just confirming :slight_smile: Thanks

1 Like

I started playing before the May update, and I remember that it took me a while before I saw any robots at all. And when I saw them, they were quite few in numbers. However, I didn’t visit the starter island to compare the number of robots before I restarted.

1 Like

I just restarted a new game since my old save is still bugged an unplayable. As someone who’s been playing since launch and know many of the tricks of the game, I can say that the starter island is basically a boss-level fight without the equipment to actually do it. Multiple packs of Hunters roaming around, tons of dogs everywhere. It was just friggin HARD. Died about 6 times, no adrenaline to be found, keep getting thrown back to Stenhaga Farm constantly. This is not what I consider fun.

Honestly if this would have been my first time playing the game without knowing some of the strategies, I would likely have refunded it right there. That’s not what I call fun or balanced gameplay.

4 Likes

Hi guys like @Crunchmeister said , day one release buyer here aswell , new players are getting a raw deal on first island as of Mays update onwards till now , Kudo’s too them for getting away from starter island’s , it was much better at day one launch let’s hope they can tweak it back a little for the New Player’s , :+1:

@boston_51 i started again on second console , to see what it was like ( update b4 Bike’s ) , if i was a new player and no practice in straffing them and the general mechanics you learn with hour’s in game i had it hard , New player’s have a lot of running and dying to do , lol , anyhow it was more suspense and paranoia when i played on launch day ’ it just needed a little more , im sure they will strike a balance soon :+1::coffee:

hard to tell because i had a lot more weapons, ammo and skills unlocked so it didn’t seem too bad before starting fresh, i would have probably given up on the game if this was my first experience with it.

The hunters on the starter island are just too much. There are way too many of them considering the only gun you’ll likely have ample ammo for is the Moller. I looted the hell out of everything and I had next to no ammo for my rifle or shotgun. Those rounds got eaten away quickly by the 2nd pack of hunters. By the time I got to the 3rd, all I had left was pistol ammo, no medkits, no flares / fireworks.

I logged in again earlier. I’m at Stenhaga. I have no ammo, no supplies, and the place is crawling with hunters again. There’s a pack of them right outside the barn. I can’t even leave the safe house without dying and getting thrown right back to the safe house.

Perhaps the super hardcore 1337 players consider this to be fun, but I certainly don’t.

1 Like

i’m finding fireworks but too scared to pick them up until they fix them :fireworks:
at least watching the race stream proved that you can actually get away to the northern part without having to fight a lot.

Best approach I’ve found for starting out solo right now is:

• Clear Yttervik, including looting all of the nearby cars.
  • If there are no runners just outside of Yttervik other than the first mission one (it seems they can randomly spawn near the group of cars on the road due south of Yttervik), continue, otherwise completely reload the game (this should get rid of any random spawns in the area around Yttevik))
  • Head due south, first to coordinates 4077 by 2330, then to 4115 by 2460. Both areas should only have ticks, and will have a couple of spots you can loot.
  • Then head due north to loot the shipping container at 4128 by 2150.
  • Back track to Yttervik, then head down the main road to 3916 by 2336 and pick up the mission ‘The Hunter’. Proceed carefully along the road north from there to BjörknĂ€s to collect the Meusser hunting rifle.
  • Work your way the rest of the way north up the west coast of BjörknĂ€sskogen to 4577 by 1387. You should only encounter runners and ticks, and should have enough ammo for the Meusser to deal with the runners.
  • Fast travel back to Yttervik, then head along the main road all the way to Iboholmen church.

Once you get to Iboholmen Church and get the 12-gauge pump action, you should (if careful) be able to deal with most stuff on Iboholmen right now provided you don’t try to go to Iboholmen castle and are frugal with ammo. Make a point to fully explore BjörknĂ€sskogen and the isthmus that’s southeast of Yttervik, you can get some good loot early on by doing so, as well as decent XP (there’s a hunter about halfway up the east coast of BjörknĂ€sskogen, and a couple of second-tier runners on the isthmus, so do be careful doing this).

1 Like

I agree that the number of Hunters on the starter island is a bit too high. We don’t need them roaming in packs, encountering individuals should be enough to teach new players what they’re like, and learn how to fight them without getting swamped.

That said, it feels like the June patch either buffed weapons or nerfed enemy HP. A Dilapilated Pump-Action Shotgun with birdshot can take out a Hunter with five or six shells. And with explosives back to being powerful, setting traps works great against them.

2 Likes

Agreed on both points, with the caveat that the lone hunter north of Yttervik about halfway up the BjörknĂ€sskogen coast is a bit close to the starting point

1 Like