Poll: Fun or Realism? Which do you prefer

Do you mean fun as in, creativity, color, bizarre, and abstract ideas?

1 Like

pretty much :smiley: fun as in not really realistic, just cool

1 Like

I think that’s still way too vauge as a definition. What do you consider the definitve verison of “fun” and “realism”? Do you mean realism as in advanced controlls and mechins like in simulation games? Or do you mean realism as in the grounded tone the game intially was, or the current weight mesurmant for the inventory?

And what is “fun”? Because I’m in the camp that loved what the og release and what Alpine unrest was. Grounded and dark tone. The “unrealistic” liberties in machine technology were reasonably explained enough to fit the dark tone, it wasn’t out of place. Is fun the mind-numbing rng grinding we have now? I think what you mean (and correct me if I’m wrong), is that you think fun is letting the player carry 8 weapons at all times and become essentially an unkillable god with the EXP items. Take more liberties about how real of senisble something is for the sake of more “fun”

this poll should be rebranded as, do you want
A: grounded dark tone, with heavy focus of connecting the gameplay and story. Making the gameplay real within the bounds of the games setting and universe.
B: Less focus on the tone/story and thus more disconnect of gameplay and story. Essentially taking more liberties with that’s considered realism. Becoming more of an arcade shooter

3 Likes

no, that’s not what the poll is about^^
I don’t care if it’s vague, it’s enough to answer my question

1 Like

But what’s the point if you’re the only one who gets it? The question is vague so people will have a hard time figuring what you mean or use their own interpretation of what fun and realism mean to the games context. Because like I said before, realism can be and for many is fun. You make realism sound like it’s a bad thing with “fun” being the only other option. Creating a “do you want good or bad thing” kind of poll.

7 Likes

I agree, it’s pointless to have a poll if your going to fight everyone you disagree with.

2 Likes

I would like realism in the form of a bar of the enemy’s presence, which is reduced by the shooting down of machines. Furthermore, the machines should be tied to resources that have to be mined and produced by him. Or a little in the direction of survival: Eating and drinking as well as temperature and sleeping. Introduction of huntable animals and fishing.

Not sure if you’re referring to me or someone else. But what I’ll say despite that I’m not expecting Generation Zero to be realistic as a simulation game like Arma or something else. That’s not my point, what I’m saying is that Generation Zero at its initial release presented itself as a somewhat grounded game and serious about its tone. Of course, GZ’s type of machines couldn’t have happened in our universe 80’s but in GZ it was reasonably explained with the military getting more funding after WW2. And with the cold war, I’m sure that funding strengthened since Finland was the only country between Sweden and the Soviet Unioin. Hence even the EXP weapons reason to exist.

However then comes the EXP sledgehammer and EXP medical items (including the med ammo) wich sorta exist for no reason what so ever. I’ll argue that with Rivals and then post FNIX rising that GZ has created a ludonarrative dissonance for itself. Rivals are only uniqe in name, they dont serve a different mechanical purpose than to be farmed and give us RNG exp items. Wich isn’t neccerlly bad but I’m still thinking to myself “Why are they carrying these supposed rare guns around? Is FNIX helping us getting stronger or is he just stupid”. Rivals have no real strategy cause it’s the same enemy with the only difference being health. The only strategy is hoarding more ammo and meds. Rivals should have been something like this. Machines that actively work against you, machines that have learned your strategy. And the idea of EXP guns (not the sledge that’s dumb) is actually a good way for progression and giving the player more ways to play around. But it’s the way we get them that’s boring cause it’s the typical video game loot. Plus healing friends with bulltes (exp med ammo) just doesn’t make sense at all. There’s no lore presentation of them in game. That would have made them so much fun to get the guns, if we actually knew their place in the games world other than what the name says.

EXP med items ( plus med ammo), meele and the resistence as a whole feel so disconnected from the story. The resistence just exist behind the scenes, they dont do anything then give us orders have us do all their dirty work. There has been no effort in giving reason and lore behind the EXP items. We only get them randomly through the hoard mission but not looting them from machines itself. It’s an external force that goes to whichever FOA facility made the plans, steals them and now some random teens are now scientist and can make them.

Meele is just domb, like I’m not even gonna argue more about it. Yeah machines aren’t possible but at least there was a good reason behind them in lore, but how the hell is being able to kill a machine bigger than a house with one bränboll trä made of wood! it doesn’t even make sense with the metal sledgehammer. Are the machines made of cardboard?

And that transistions into the weapon wheel that is getting added. As a UI element, I don’t mind it cause it is easier for the eyes to focus on one place instead of the disjoined ui we have now. But then adding the function that all 8 slots are free of restrictions is just…Why? With exp guns and items we were already OP AF. But now we can become actual gods. It’s a fact at this point the inventory is messy and hard to navigate. The weapon wheel solves a problem the devs didn’t bother to solve, a problem they created themselves. Being able to bassically use 8 guns at the same time KILLS stratergy and for me “”“fun”"". Sure we have more direct options but do we really? Sure we can still make traps, but is that needed when the game has focused more on grinding and hoarding ammo than given us more reasons play to around? To experiment with strategy and tactics?

The thing that has ruined and destroyed the games initial tone for me is the constant shortcuts satated above as an attempt to create more “”“fun”"". There are way more examples of this but I think my examples get the point across. You might have noticed I linked to segments of this video I made twice. It’s bit of a shameless plug but I explain everything better there than I possibly could do here. Generation Zero is killing what made it fun for me and many others. A somewhat grounded game with dark presentation of machines invading Sweden! HELL YEAH THAT IS GREAT. Alpine Unrest is peak Generation Zero when it comes to tone and atmosphere. Sure it had cheesy dialogue that’s pretty cringe but it didn’t insult the player’s intelligence. It placed a good foundation for the future. Wich now I have no hope for.

To me these sound more like bugs that havent been fixed. But for some bugs are features I guess.

6 Likes

I voted for fun because I like the gaming part of games. You know what I mean?

Thanks
-Mitchell

6 Likes

I know many will disagree with me but i think realism, realism but still fun. Not things like strange cartoony elements and game mechanics but an enviroment that exept the machines looks like a Swedish 80s island. And also that the combat feels like real life and not like in call of duty where weapons have no recoil and are lighter than cotton. And not things like in games where you get perks like jump higher, stuff that whould destroy the feeling of the game.

6 Likes

I agree with comment section that asks to elaborate terms “fun” and “realism”.
I’ve interpreted poll as “arcade’y VS hardcore’y”. I voted for latter, since game provides much more things to play around, than I saw people willing to put extra effort to use. They tend to choose “no-brainer” options, which are winning by quite wide margin.

2 Likes

that’s a good interpretation of it :slight_smile:

Well seeing how someone elses “Fun” can be utter crap, I go for the safe bet and choose realism then.

4 Likes

Realism. I’d love the game to have being cold and/or wet causing damage so that you needed to wear appropriate warm clothing. Weapon and clothing damage and wear so you’d need to repair them, or else your clothes would not keep you warm or dry, or your weapon would either jam, or its suppressor or sight become useless. The need to rest or sleep, the need to eat and drink, even prepare and cook food (aka fishing/hunting).

And that would be fun. Realism IS fun.

2 Likes

The problem is that realism can be fun for people and not for others. Some people like realistic games and others do not. Some like both and play both types of games. I love Squad and Insurgency Sandstorm for the realism and gunplay. I also like battlefield.

I for one, would not think clothing durability systems and eating and drinking would make GZ more fun. If I wanted to do that I would play The Forest

5 Likes

Ahh the forest, good stuff.

I agree tho, this isnt a game focusing on environmental punishment, as much as Looting and Shooting and getting our butts kicked by Inti-human military grade death Bots.

The story surrounding the machine and our resistance is more the focus.

3 Likes

There plenty of things that still could be done to add to the realism of the game without destroying it.
World size, believability, freedom within a world, and Rules/cause & effect

As for “fun or Abstract Ideas” I think it should be limited to keep from over distorting the world and gameplay. The Machines are the “Fun” and the Exploration has “fun” elements, like the Unknown.
Rewards also sit in the “fun” category.

I like realism for familiarity but I play games to escape certain parts of reality to have fun.

1 Like

I like the realistic fun. Face it, you’re not going to find military ammo just lying around in homes, cars or places like that. So it’s necessary to have some ‘freedoms’ when making the game. :grin:

2 Likes

Definitely more fun games but with good graphics. Sometimes realistic games are very boring and there is simply no desire to go through them further.

I prefer if the game went into a more realistic direction (again this is a game where there are robots that should’nt even be standing), but my main concerns are just adding more content and weapons as well as greater expansion of the current crafting system.