Rise of the Resistance

I got the achievement, and it shows on my user card. Click on my profile pic and see for yourself.

1 Like

I guess, it’s just because of the count of your posts. Or maybe beecause of the likes you got. Who knows?

New user of the month. I got it too in july 2019. :wink:
In the menu you can find the “Users” tab. There you can browse different user’s stats, and filter between daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly, yearly and all time stats. :blush:

1 Like

Interesting story.
I like how the combat is realistic.
But I did not think that THAT many people survived just in my opinion from playing the game I thought that Survivors were rare if you found them at all.
I DO however like the fact that you have your characters return to the places that they were before.It brings upon the idea that these characters are humans and that you can relate to them.
Like with Kieth and the Teddy Bear or when Dustin returned to his old house, with the Ring or when he went back to the graves of his friends.
Btw I liked how you immediately killed of Julia’s old boyfriend and she immediately starts hitting on Dustin.
Over a good story but in my opinion they seem to progress too fast.
Just me tho.

1 Like

Let’s face it, it had to be done. Besides, she likes Dustin better anyway.

If that was so why did she not dump him right away and start with Dustin?

This is great, keep it up my friend. :+1:

1 Like

Thanks, I am writing Chapter VII right now but progress is slow. A lot of big events are about to happen, but I had to make some changes bcuz of the Base Assault Update. Nevertheless, I still want to finish this story and I am trying to make that happen.

Chapter VII

“What!?,” I asked, astonished.

“Come on,” he urged.

I sprinted after Mark to the comm center. Sure enough, there was a human voice coming out of the mic.

‘Is anyone out there? I am with a group of survivors. If you can hear me, please respond. We hope you will join us, with these machines there is safety in numbers.’

I grabbed the mic,” I can hear you.”

“Hello, who is this?,” the voice inquired.

“My name is Dustin,” I answered. “I am the leader of a resistance group on Ostertorn. Who are you?”

“Finally, we’ve been looking for another group for so long. We thought we were the only ones,” the voice answered. “I am Sven, I lead a group of resistance fighters. We are well equipped and hidden. Would you be open to an alliance?”

“Definitely,” I answered.

“Can you make it to the town of Boo?,” Sven asked.

“We can try, we’ve never been up that way before,” I answered.

“We’ll be waiting for you in the Boo church tomorrow,” Sven informed. “Make sure not to attract any attention when you come here.”

“Ok, I’ll see you tomorrow,” I agreed.

I closed the channel and turned to face the others.

“It could be a trap,” Michael stated.

“I know,” I answered. “But we have to try.”

Mark walked out and announced the news to the others. The rest of the party passed quickly as I thought about what tomorrow might hold for us. Eventually, I returned to my room. However,even in the comfort of my own bed, I couldn’t sleep. I laid awake for around three hours before exhaustion finally took me.

The next morning, the base was alive with excitement. I grabbed some coffee and joined the others in the main area. The time had come to choose a team that would make contact.

“I want Paul and Ben with me. Mark will remain here to keep charge over the base. Michael, Thomas, and Hans will provide overwatch,” I ordered.

“Ok, sounds good,” Michael agreed.

“Why do I never get to come? You guys always get to go,” Keith complained.

I looked at Ben. He shrugged.

“Alright, you can come,” I said. “But only if you agree to do exactly as you are told.”

“Yay,” he cheered.

We quickly geared up and marched out towards Boo. It was late January now and there was snow everywhere. It crunched under our boots as we walked along. Michael, Thomas, and Hans followed us at a distance.

About an hour later, we first sighted the top of the Boo church. I could see several figures in the belltower as I drew nearer. I approached the front door and knocked. The door was opened immediately by an old man.

“Ah, come right in,” he greeted.

We followed him inside to the pulpit. Sitting behind the pulpit wasa strong looking man.

He stood and addressed me,” Greetings, you must be Dustin, I am Sven.”

“Correct,” I said as I shook his hand. “I would very much like to create an alliance between our groups.”

“As would I,” Sven agreed. “It is good to see that we are on the same page.”

Sven motioned for us to sit. I sat down and waited for him to speak.

“How strong are you?,” he asked.

“We have around forty people and lots of guns and ammunition. We are currently holed up in the Muskeddon Port Complex,” I replied. “How about you?”

“We also have forty to fifty members,” Sven began. “We have guns but a limited ammo supply, but we do have a few squadrons of operational Vraken fighters.”

“That is great!,” I exclaimed. “If you need ammo, we have plenty. We can give you some if you need it.”

“Thank you so much. That would be a big help,” Sven said gratefully.

“We have a military stealth boat that we could use to transport it to your base, wherever it is,” I offered.

“Our base is hidden on the island north of Himfjall,” Sven explained.

Just then, my radio crackled,” Hey Dustin,you’d better be careful. There is a convoy of machines headed up the road towards your position. New ones too, I haven’t seen this kind before.”

“Who is that?,” asked Sven.

“My overwatch,” I answered.

“Do you not trust us?,” Sven asked, shocked.

“Hey, we already had to fight another group of survivors, so we could never be sure,” I replied.

“Wha-”

“Its a long story,” I cut him off. “Ok Michael, I read you. What do they look like?”

“There are two types. Little ones that look like bowling balls, and large ones with missile launchers and treads,” Michael answered.

“Do you know what these are?,” I asked Sven.

“No idea,” he quickly replied.

“Wait,” Michael exclaimed. “They have Soviet markings on them.”

Kaboom!

The rear end of the church erupted in flame and debris.

“Michael, we’re under fire,” I shouted.

“Negative, none of them have fired yet,” Michael responded. “They are still unaware of your presence. Plus, do you know the size of the gun that would be needed to make a hole that big? It took out half the church! A weapon of that size must be pretty long range too.”

“FNIX must have a new weapon,” Sven suggested.

“What did you say,” Ben asked in shock.

“FNIX is the name of the AI that leads the machines,” Sven explained. “We found a journal of one of the scientists that built the machines.”

“Ben here used to work for FOA,” I explained.

“I’d like to see that journal when we get out of here,” Ben said.

“Let’s focus on getting out of here first,” I advised.

“Our base is closer, we should go there. We can use the comm array to let your group know what happened,” Sven suggested.

“But the comms must be being monitored,” Ben broke in. “That is the only way that FNIX could have known about the meeting.”

“We didn’t mention either base during that conversation, so the bases may still be safe,” Sven argued.

“I agree, we should go to Sven’s base,” I said.

I picked up the radio and informed Michael. “Great, what about Keith?”

I looked around. Where was Keith? Then I saw him. He had gotten hold of a rifle and was charging at the Soviet machines!

“Keith stop!,” I shouted, but it was too late.

“Die you communist scum!,” he screamed and opened fire.

It was a good thing that he was a bad shot as he missed. However, he got the machines’ attention. They swiveled to face him. He did a sloppy reload and fired again. This time he managed to hit one of the larger ones. It let out some sort of robotic shriek. Then, the machine unfolded it’s treads and stood up on them like legs. A minigun dropped down in the center of them. I saw the barrel starting to spin.
The spray of bullets hit Keith in the chest. His cry was cut off and he fell to the ground, lifeless.

“Keith, Nooo!,” I shouted and ran towards him.

Ben and Paul were ready for this and grabbed my arms. I struggled in my rage but they were too strong for me.

“There is nothing you can do, you’ll just get us killed and the Resistance will lose both of it’s leaders,” Ben yelled at me.

“I don’t care,” I yelled back.

My father’s words ran through my head;

‘If anything ever happens to me, look after your brother. Keep him safe.’

I had failed. The thought pierced through me like a cold knife. I began to cry.

“Keith, why wasn’t I there for you, I failed you. I’m sorry,” I sobbed.

I had stopped thrashing now. Ben hugged me.

After a while, Paul spoke,“Well, I guess we had better get going.”

“I am not leaving Keith here,” I responded. “We can at least bury him.”

“I agree,” said Ben.

I walked out onto the field where Keith lay. I crouched down and touched his hand. His body was already cold. I lifted him onto my shoulders and carried him over to where the others were digging a grave in front of the church.

After we were done, we set off for the base. We did not meet any machines at all as we trekked solemnly towards our destination. And two hours later, we reached the ferry. The trip passed quickly as I thought about what had just happened.

When we arrived at their base, we were ushered inside and welcomed warmly by the other members of the newly founded ‘Resistance’.

“Where is your comm system?,” I asked Sven.

“Right this way,” he responded and walked off.

I followed him down a long hall. Some of the doors were open, and I glanced through one of them. Inside was a massive stockpile of ammo. However, this was not ordinary ammo. This was Vraken ammo. There were missiles and bombs too. I let out a whistle. Sven came to see what I was staring at.

“Yeah, we have the ammo to run about a hundred missions,” Sven informed me.

“Wow, that’s impressive,” I responded.

He led me into a room filled with techy looking equipment, and motioned for me to sit down in one of the seats. He brought over a microphone and turned on the radio.

“Hello?,” I heard Mark ask.

“Mark, it’s me,” I said. “We’re at the other base.”

“Did everything go alright?,” Mark asked curiously.

“No,” I answered. “We discovered that there is an AI that is leading the machines and it is called FNIX. Also, it must be able to understand what we say because it used some sort of long range weapon and blew up half the church in one shot.”

“Is everyone okay,” Mark inquired.

“Keith was killed by a large force of Soviet machines,” I answered sadly. “Michael got photos for you to study.”

“Dustin I’m sorry,” Mark said.

“Me too,” I admitted. “But, we learned alot about this group and we formed an alliance with them. The Resistance has been born. However, I will not announce anything over the radio, FNIX could be listening. How are things going there?”

“Everything is quiet, its kinda nice. I will be waiting here for your return,” Mark stated.

“Ok, we’ll head back in a couple of days,” I informed him.

I closed the comm and walked back out to the others. Sven slapped a beer in my hand as he walked by me. We sat in one of the hangers looking out across the water towards Ostertorn. Everything felt strangely peaceful considering what had just happened. I was sitting a little ways away from the others, looking up into the night sky. The stars glimmered overhead, and that , was when I saw it.
Something was cutting it’s way through the sky. It left an orange trail behind it as it sped towards Ostertorn.

“Hey guys, what’s that?,” I asked.

Everyone rushed over. The object was no longer traveling straight, it was starting to arc downwards Ostertorn. I watched as it sank below the treetops. Moments later,there was a blinding flash. A giant fireball loomed in the distance and a deafening explosion could be heard. Out of the fireball came a cloud that shot straight up and billowed out at the top. A mushroom cloud. Someone had fired a nuclear weapon at Ostertorn!

End Act I

3 Likes

man at party interrupted by robot invasion watches many friends die moves on within a day gets into relationship with one of the dead friends girlfriend about a day after watches more friends die moves on in a day 3 days later travels to a radioactive island kills group of people for the first time gets over it escapes that place groups with others to fight robots brother dies finally has emotion.

10/10 enjoyed very much

1 Like

Wow lol, I love that breakdown of the story. was very funny to read. thx so much.

I think that it is very interesting how little effort or emotion he seemed to have for his brother.It was the twerp’s own fault that he got killed.He should of had more common sense.So I just see this as an ohh well, get them next time for Dustin.
Good story so far, but I feel that Dustin was the type that was always off somewhere partying with his friends.Hence that Fact that he was not that shook up about the fact that his parents were dead as well as his brother.But as soon as one of his friends dies.He goes into an Emotional explosion that leads him into a relationship with one of his recently deceased friend’s girlfriend.
if I said that right.

The story with Keith’s death is very simple. He was conditioned by society to see Russia as “the bad guy” :thinking: . It was sort of his fault too, but the programming was the biggest cause of his death.

i didnt really think he cared about anything until his brother died nothing really affected him much except that.

Act II

Chapter I

I stood there in shock gazing at the wonder that hung over Ostertorn. The mushroom cloud illuminated the nearby clouds with a fiery orange. I watched it until it had faded away into the night.

Julia…

…Was the first thought into my head.

Was she safe?

I rushed to the comm center, I had to know. To my relief, Mark responded immediately

‘What did you guys do?”, he asked.

“It wasn’t us,” I answered. “Is everyone there alright?”

“Everyone is fine here, what about you?,” Mark replied.

“We are a bit shaken up, we weren’t expecting it,” I admitted. “It looks like it was closer to you though.”

“Yes, from what I can tell it landed in the farmlands,” Mark agreed.

“Any luck on locating FNIX’s superweapon?,” I inquired.

“Well, I figured out how FNIX knew where you were meeting. There was another Tick attached to the comm tower. We disabled it and left a reprogrammed Runner to guard the building. It will alert us if anything tries to get in,” Mark explained.

“That’s great news,” I said. “So we are okay to mention locations now?”

“I still wouldn’t talk about the locations of the bases on an open channel but I think its fine,” Mark stated. “One other thing, the shot came from the south. That means that it must have come from the South Coast area. Other than that I have nothing.”

“Then maybe we should pay a visit to the South Coast region soon,” I suggested.

“I think you’re ri- Mark was cut off by a blast of static.

A few seconds later, the radio crackled again and Mark’s voice came through,” Sorry for the interruption, there is another signal in the area.”

“Where is it coming from?,” I asked.

“It’s coming from, wait, this can’t be right,” Mark said in disbelief. “The signal appears to be coming from the Forest Region. But listen to this, the source of the signal is thirty thousand feet up!”

“What?,” I said.

“It’s too weak for me to intercept but you are closer than I am. Why don’t you give it a try?,” Mark advised.

“Uh, you do realize that I have no idea what I am doing right?,” I told him.

“Just hit the switch below the microphone and turn the largest dial until you can clearly hear the transmission,” Mark instructed.

I did as he told me. The static was loud as I rotated the dial to the left. I turned it back the other way and briefly heard a voice:

“nynone read m-”

I slowly adjusted the dial back the other way. The static cleared and I could hear the voice:

“This is Commander Vladimir of the Soviet taskforce алый (Scarlet). Our aircraft has been damaged by SAM weaponry. We are going down somewhere over the forest. I can see a large logging camp below us. If you are receiving this message, please try and reach us. Our Antonov An-12 should be easy to locate.”

“Mark, did you get all that?,” I asked.

“Loud and clear,” he responded.

“I am gonna try to find them,” I announced.

“You want to save Soviets. You do remember that Soviets just killed your little brother right?,” Mark asked.

“They are humans just like us,” I said. “They didn’t kill Keith, machines did. Maybe Commander Vladimir will know why. Besides, we’re outnumbered 10 to 1, we need all the help we can get.”

“Well, good luck,” Mark replied. “You should head towards the logging camp first. Then listen for gunfire.”

“Alright, I’ll make my way there,” I agreed.

I turned off the comm and walked back out to the rest of the group. Sven glanced up as I approached.

“What news?,” he asked.

“Mark has traced the weapon to somewhere in the South Coast Region. The nuke detonated over the Farmlands, and we’ve got a Soviet taskforce going down by Garphammar,” I told him. “I am heading out to find the taskforce and bring them back here.”

“Okay. Are you sure you can trust them?,” Sven inquired.

“Nope,” I said as I walked away.

The members of my group followed me to a boat. We piled in.

Sven and a few men reached us just before we left.

“We’re in this together,” he said as they climbed in.

Michael steered the boat away from the base and towards the shore. Ben waved to us from the docks. He had stayed behind to learn what was kept from him about FNIX.

Minutes later, we reached the shore. It was very dark, a wave crashed over my foot as I walked up the beach. It was freezing.

My foot made a squishing sound each time I took a step. We kept up a steady jog towards Garphammar.

About ten minutes later, I sighted the piles of logs that lay scattered around Garphammar. I stopped to listen. I could see smoke rising from the far side of the logging camp. Sporadic gunfire also came from there.

I rose and sprinted down the hill. I could see a few runners patrolling the facility. I ran right at them. As I neared, one of them heard me. It turned to look and its eye flashed to yellow.

I drew the sword that Mark had made me. I flicked the switch. Flames shot up the blade and I brought it smashing down on the runner’s head. Sparks shot out and it fell over in a heap. The next runner turned and let out its alarm sound.

It got halfway through before I beheaded it. The other three runners turned and were cut down by gunfire from my companions.

I continued through the camp on my rampage, cutting down five more runners. Then I ran up the hill towards the smoke.

At the top of the hill, there were the remains of some sort of crane, and a massive cargo plane!

I looked at the aircraft, on the tail was the red star of the Soviet Union. I could make out the insignia PS-124. Black smoke billowed out of the engines. There was a hole 6 feet wide in its left wing!

I circled the plane. On the other side of the plane, around twenty men were shooting from behind log piles. A tank and a few runners were shooting back.

I raised my rifle and blasted the tank’s eye out. A few of the soldiers turned and noticed our arrival. Sven and I charged forward past the barricades. I whipped out my sword and began carving up runners while Sven opened fire on the rear of the tank with his G79 grenade launcher.

Two of the Soviet troopers fired RLG-7s at it. The rounds struck it on the top of its head. The joint exploded and the head dropped off.

With the battle concluded, I walked up to the Soviets…

2 Likes

this is so good can’t what for more this should be a proper book or a series.

1 Like

Chapter II

As I approached the Soviets, every one of them stared at me. I looked at one of them to my left. As I looked into his eyes, I saw no hate, I saw no anger. His gaze was friendly but wary.

I strolled towards them, and they parted, revealing a man with an ushanka and an AT-WAD.

He addressed me as I approached,” I see someone picked up our distress call.”

“Yes, we came as soon as we heard,” I answered. “I assume that you are Commander Vladimir.”

“You are correct. All of us survived the crash, but some of us are wounded, including the pilots. Do you have a safe place to withdraw to?,” he inquired.

“Yes, we’ll leave immediately,” I responded.

We assisted them in reaching the location where we had hidden our boats. It was a quiet journey to the island, only the rippling of the waves and the soft hum of the motor could be heard.

Upon reaching the island, the wounded were rushed to medlab, while Sven led Cmdr. Vladimir and I to a private room. Sven grabbed a few beers, and we sat down to talk.

Cmdr. Vladimir spoke first,” Recently, the USSR sent a taskforce into Ostertorn to try and disable the machines. Something went wrong, and it’s leader, Captain Tereshkova called in a nuclear strike. Since then, we’ve lost contact with her.”

He paused and took a swig of beer.

“We were sent in to find her and learn why she called in the nuke,” he finished.

“We were attacked by your machines not long ago,” I spoke up.

“Yes, command was afraid something like this would happen, and did not want to take the mechanized units with them. However, their developers assured us that they were safe,” Vladimir answered.

“Guess they were wrong,” Sven interrupted.

“I’m sorry, but we haven’t met anyone by that name yet,” I told Vladimir. “Don’t worry though, we’ll find her.”

A sudden knocking on the door prevented Vladimir from responding. Sven rose and opened the door.

His second in command stood there looking impatient.

“Sven, Mark is on the comms, and is asking for you and Dustin,” he explained.

“We’d better go,” Sven told me.

Sven walked out of the room and down the hall. We rose and followed him to the comm center.

I picked up the mic and started talking,” Hello? Mark?”

“Hi, I’m here. I just found out something that I think you’ll want to hear,” Mark answered.

“Okay, go ahead,” I said.

“I was able to trace the trajectory that the shell took when it hit the church. I have narrowed down the location of the cannon to the end of the peninsula of the South Coast Region. From there it shouldn’t be hard to find.”

“Great job,” I congratulated him.

I turned to Sven and Vladimir. “This thing is the biggest threat to our survival, we should take it out asap.”

“I agree, who knows what it’s range is? If it can hit Sweden, then civilians are in danger, and we have to destroy it,” said Vladimir.

“Alright,” agreed Sven. “We move out at dawn.”

Sven and Vladimir left while I filled Mark in on what had happened.

Five minutes later, I walked out to rejoin the others. They were in the middle of discussing who would be going. Vladimir and the entire Soviet task force had already volunteered to go, except for the pilots who were still recuperating.

Michael, Paul, Thomas, and Hans all decided to come with me. Sven provided us with four boats and six men to go along with us.

As everyone was loading up the gear, I went to find Ben. I eventually located him in the comm center. He was intently staring at the computer screen in front of him.

“Hey,” he greeted me as I walked in the door.

“How’s it goin?,” I asked.

I glanced at the screen, it all looked like gibberish to me.

“So far I haven’t found much, but it is interesting,” Ben answered. “From what I’ve learned, FNIX is an artificial intelligence created by FOA that seemingly went rogue and caused this mess.”

“Okay, keep it up,” I said.

He rose and embraced me before I left.

I walked back to the others who were waiting by the boats. We boarded and cruised out of the harbor towards the South Coast.

2 Likes