Round shadow on water surface

Platform: PC

Description: I just noticed this strange round shadow on water surface.

Steps To Reproduce: Try to spot it when the sun is low over the horizon and directly behind you.

Host or Client: Host

Players in your game: 1

Specifications: i7 10700K, 32G RAM, RTX 3080

I presume it’s the same issue as in my post over here: [IMPORTANT!] Popular Bugs List - #187 by gzbugs

It’s likely a side effect of using screen-space reflections - the scope of the gun ‘obscures’ part of the image, and this part doesn’t show up properly in the ‘mirrored’ surface. At least that’s what I guess it is.
As to how it could be fixed - I think the SSR process should not include weapon models at all, but I don’t have any clue as to how the engine handles stuff like that.

No, it’s something completely different.

It is visible even when not using a scope (this can be clearly seen on my video).

I saw similar thing at night in dense fog - a shadowy shaft.

Take note that the shape of the scope corresponds roughly to the ‘shadow’ in the lake. That’s not to say that this must be the reason for this, but switching to a scope-less gun should clear that right up?

Well… it’s the same even with med packs or flares in hand, so it’s not the scope thing.

Well, it was worth a shot. Leaves me stumped, but at least that’s off the table. Thanks for trying it tho - hope someone else chimes in with a better diagnosis.

Looks like a faulty reflection of the sun to me.