Save file lost after sync issue (PC)

Start game.
Your files are not in sync with cloud. Had newer files on my comp so choose those over the cloud.
Start the game have to agree again to the terms. Said and done.
Enter the menu. Start new game…¨
Now wait a minute. I had 4 chars. One lvl 31. I had finsihed the main campaign. Today was the first day I planed to go to the dlc island (alpine).
I had exp weaponry.

Now after the patch 16 october i have nothing.
So where do we go from here. Can u fix this?
Want my old save back. that is all.

Kom igen nu grabbar. Detta är ju inte skoj alls. Jag kommer nog börja på en ny save men asså. Det är runt 160-200 timmar som är borta. Motager hjälp gladerligen. Tacksam för alla hjälp eller kompensation om det inte går att lösa save-filerna.

Annars gillar jag spelet. Tummen upp

Ps i Created this forum account only to get some help.

Platform:
Pc
Description:
Well i started the game and the files where out of sync.
Steps To Reproduce:
Not sure i can
Images / Videos:
nope
Host or Client:
Well never got that far.
Players in your game:
forever alone
Specifications:
i5 and a gtx card 8gb ram. but pretty sure that for my issue this is not needed

Clickbait titles aren’t welcome in here, so, i changed the topic title to reflect best what the issue is about.

//Mod

There were no patches for PC in October. Last patch for PC was 22nd June '20. So, the issue lies somewhere else.

Few questions:
Is your Win legit or pirated?
Is GZ legit or pirated?
Do you use any 3rd party mods (e.g from NexusMods)?

As per Code of Conduct - Forums,

English only
As this is an English-speaking community, we require that posted content be in the English language, so that it can be well received and properly monitored.

So, keep any communication to English only.

How was it click bait? I needed support.
Gz bought on steam.
It says in steam “hello and welcome to another update, everyone!” - Letter from devs 16 october.
no 3rd party mods.
So where do we stand?
And i will refrain from using anymore swedish.

That is to let people know about the progress so far with the console issues, which is written in the Dev Letter, link: https://generationzero.com/en/blog/news-from-the-team-october-16th

However, posting a dev letter doesn’t mean game got an update. PC haven’t seen an update since summer.

Do you mainly play offline in Steam?
Since that would explain why game wanted to sync up to Steam servers once you established connection to Steam to download Alpine Unrest DLC. And at that point, something went wrong and your save got wiped.

Btw, which version of GZ you currently have? (You’ll see the version number in Main Menu, bottom right corner.)

I only play online. Steam is online so to speak. Ill have a look at what vers i got. Just to clarify. I had alpine installed since i got the game. So i didnt install it now and then this happned. It has been installed from the start. I just saved to go there untill main story was complete.
v1858983

You have the latest game version (same as mine) and it’s strange that Steam pops-up the sync conformation. :thinking: Each time i end my gaming session, GZ is automatically synced with Steam, to keep both saves (local and online) up to the date.
Unless you closed the PC down before the Steam sync was completed. That could corrupt the save.

Here, i’m at loss what happened. Due to this, i’ll poke a dev to help out in this matter.

@SR_knivspark, care to look into this matter?

Issue so far: At some point, GZ presented Steam sync error for OP and once OP selected local save (online save was older), the game wiped the save.

1 Like

Hey @edefestlr :wave:

Sorry to hear that you have gotten this issue, losing progress is a real bummer :frowning_face:

I guess THIS is the steam cloud sync pop-up you got? And since your local saves were more recent you decided to upload those to the steam cloud?

It’s difficult to know exactly what happened here and this is the first time I see a report about this particular issue. Especially if you are just using one machine to play GenZ, makes me wonder why there would be a difference between the cloud save and the local save… momentary internet connection loss perhaps? Game shutting down (crashing?) when the cloud saving was supposed to happen? Hard to say.

Sadly I’m not sure there’s much we can do since…

1. The save is already gone (unless you have a local backup setup with your PC, Windows recovery, OneDrive or something like that)
  2. Steam Cloud sync is a Steam feature, and although Generation Zero has support for it we do not handle that feature as it’s not something we have built for the game, but rather something that Steam provides that we support.

It won’t bring your save back, and it’s not much, but a lot of users manually back up (create copies of) their saves before and after each play session as a precaution instead of using Steam Cloud since we’ve had issues with saves getting corrupted. This could be worth considering to do if you decide to start over and don’t want to risk something like this happening again.

Your local save file(s) can be found here:
Documents\Avalanche Studios\GenerationZero\Saves\YOUR UNIQUE STEAM ID

Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for reporting!

1 Like

Well i guess it is what it is. Whatever happned it is sad. I did start over again. Funny u dont really realise how much one has actually done in the game b4 it is gone. Like all the collects, challanges and clothing(had fashonista completed at least) and the countles rivals and other big Ard’unz i downed.

Right now im trying to speed run the game. So i can get gear good enough to go to the Alpine island. Hahah I want to go now but i think i will need more than a 2 star meuser and a 1 star klucke. =). Thanks for help. It happens.

Oh and i guess this thread can be closed now. Pz

1 Like

As per OP request, topic closed.

//Mod