Some thoughts about development cycles

As a (web) developer myself I thought about the update cycles of this game a lot lately. I know that web development cannot be compared to game development even by a long shot. But some general things apply on both.

Development cycles are one of those things in my opinion.

As development tasks are different for different targets, tasks are prioritized according to their importance and development time required to reach the targets. Usually new features take the longest time while feature expansion is usually less time consuming and bug fixing is the one that has varying time requirements depending on the bugs.

When it comes to priority, bug fixing always has high priorities. While some bugs may have less significance most bugs usually have a high priority and therefore are fixed prior to feature development or at least get more attention then the latter one in the same time frame.

One (and usually the last part) of development is the deployment. Features are deployed when they’re tested and cleared for deployment. One may set a date for release for features and deploy them accordingly. This is usually an internal process definition.
When it comes to bug fixing it is common that the fix is released when the bug is repaired and this is confirmed by tests.

I urge you, the project management, to reconsider your deployment cycles. While new features may take months and therefore the release can be adjusted to an internal deployment process. I think bug fixes should be released way more often then new features or feature improvements.

My suggestion is, after an update there should be a hotfix one week later and an additional hotfix if necessary after one or two more weeks. Then you can develop as long as you want/need on features, feature improvements or content upgrades (DLC, more regional features etc.). I think nobody needs features every month but wait for a month (or longer) to have some bug fixes applied is somewhat unnerving.

P.S.: My development and deployment experiences come only from web development and may be not totally appicable. Since English is not my mother tongue it is possible I did not express my thoughts as I would have wished.

6 Likes

11 posts were merged into an existing topic: Avalanche, let us players HELP you!