Spiking the guns: missing object

So, due to the light/fog issues, I’ve been putting the ”Spiking the guns” mission aside until the update. Now I’ve finished it, but there are one mission object missing.
According to the Fandom wiki, I’m missing a letter from a soldier to his sister, and apparently it’s not crucial to the mission, but where the heck is that letter?

There is also a collectible that I didn’t find, but I guess that’s not the letter.

I really tried to search the forum for an answer, but no luck.

I don’t know about the letter, but for the collectables there should be plenty location sources on google by now to find the one you don’t have.

Yeah I guess. But I’m more curious about how I could complete the mission without all the objects…

I’m sure Aesyle will know…

1 Like

In many missions, while there are additional mission items to be picked up for additional lore, not all of them are needed for mission completion.

For example: The Hellmouth mission in Alpine Unrest DLC.
In there, there are 4 mission items in total but to complete the mission, you only need to pick up 2 mission items, leaving other two as optional ones.

Also, this is made so that players won’t get stuck on completing the mission. If you have enabled POI icons, these will spoon feed you through the missions (e.g go to X spot, pick up Z item) but they won’t lead you to the secondary mission items.

This remembers me the good old times, when there were no POI icons in the game what-so-ever.
I remember that i had hard time completing Flying Objects mission, since all i had to go on, was the mission items themselves and what they said.

Optional reading on how i (and all others) back then had to do the mission

First off, mission tasks. Do note that additional tasks didn’t show up until you completed the previous one. And where i got stuck, was “Locate Fredrik Blom’s house”.

I did find the phone book that listed his address.

And i also found the map of Lilla.

So, looking the map and phone book, i had to figure out where he lived. It took me quite a bit of hard thinking to figure out where his house was. Another option would’ve been going through all the 20+ houses in Lilla but i’d rather figure out the exact location based on the clues given.

Eventually i figured it out and found the house. From there, i found additional clues and got stuck on the next task of “Go to Dr. Ingrid Granqvist’s house”. Since all i had to go on, was the newspaper article.

After another session of brainstorming, i figured out where her house was, so i was able to continue with the mission.

This was how GZ was in the beginning and it was so with ALL the missions. I find it very enjoyable, despite getting stuck. Since once i figure out the solution, the feeling of completion is far more rewarding. :relaxed:

Now, there are POI icons, spoon feeding players through the game. With those, i get a feeling that i’m like a rat in the tunnel, following the rope and incapable for thinking for myself. :confounded:
Relying heavily on POI icons will get players stuck, once the POI icons aren’t dead accurate anymore, just like seen in here: Woodcutter Side Mission Help (minor spoilers)

1 Like

Okay, I see.
I guess optional objects are better than players getting stuck. Will the items remain even if one completes the mission?

Good old times. I sure remember running around scope reading all them post boxes in Salthamn in one of the early missions. :smile:

There was a time (early this year or so) where when you completed your mission and didn’t pick up the optional items, game rewarded all items to you after you Continued your game at later time.
Now, the game shouldn’t award missed mission items to you, instead, they remain in the world until you find them and pick them up (just like other collectables are).

OK, thanks for the info!
Unfortunately I think that letter is gone, since the artillery part of Torsberga was locked as I returned today, and could not be unlocked.
Oh well. :man_shrugging:t2:

(You might as well lock this topic now)

Try in a multiplayer game, sir

1 Like

Sadly, i did the Spiking the Guns mission way, way back (early April '19), and i can’t remember where that note was. Perhaps someone else has an idea of it’s location.

1 Like

Thanks for the advice pal, but it’s not that important. I was just a bit curious about howbit works. :slightly_smiling_face:

Only trying to help sir. :slight_smile:
You’re most welcome.

1 Like