Streamlined inventory management

As many have pointed out, a major weak point of the game is inventory management.
Players constantly need to enter the inventory system to drag down the correct item, which is very stressful in combat.

IMO, the game should have a system similar to games like The Division, with one button being dedicated to health, another for decoys, and another for grenades.

Basically, players would drag down their preferred throwable and players will use them immediately when you press that button. When you’ve run out of that type of throwable, the game automatically assigns the next available type.
Perhaps you could even have a system where you hold the button down and get a command wheel to select which item of that type they want to pick, so you don’t have to enter the inventory screen at all.

3 Likes

They should get rid of the useless emoji command wheel and instead use it for throwables and weapon selection.

4 Likes

I don’t mind the emoji wheel.
Instead, you could open a throwable wheel just by pressing the throwable button.

1 Like

@stoeckli They don’t need to get rid of the emote button, but changing it to LB+RB / L1+R1 would free up the LB/L1 button while still allowing emotes.

Having that extra button would be useful for a lot of things:

• A button to change ammunition types (and get rid of that awful ammo attachment system in the process).
  • A modifier to switch to an extra four quick slots.
  • A wheel that replaces the D-Pad quick slot menu entirely, freeing up the D-Pad for… Whatever.
  • A comprehensive wheel (a la Far Cry 5) which allows quick manipulation of your inventory with different positions on the wheel for weapons, throwables, placeables, medkits, etc…

These are just a few quick ideas. I imagine the community working together could come up with dozens.

@Hogge I’m not saying I want 1-button quick-throwing; I most definitely do not. I think having to sling your weapon and pull out a throwable/placeable/medkit makes timing an essential part of your tactics. Of course, it will be much better, when there is no input lag or failure to switch weapons/items.

But you’re absolutely right. Even when everything works perfectly, extended combats pretty much require hiding in/behind things as you adjust your quick slots. I shouldn’t feel exhilarated because I managed to get a Tick or land mine into a quick slot and pop it down before a T3 Hunter caught up to me.

I imagine all of that wouldn’t be as much of a problem in co-op, with the other players providing cover-fire, but in solo it sucks rancid donkey’s balls.

P.S.: Awesome thread.

2 Likes

For me it is the constant management of ammunition with weapons. So i carry multiple weapons usually 2 of each caliber so i can just do a quick weapon swap so i can stay in combat longer. There are a few things i could suggest.

• Don’t divide the ammunition up so much. For instance 9mm rounds that are used in pistils are generally the same that would be used in a sub machine gun as an example this could be done with other ammo types for new guns in the future.

• Auto load the ammo on pick up instead of having to do an inventory spring cleaning after every 5 buildings just so you can maximize the space of your inventory.

• or add an ammo pouch in one of the skill trees to separate them from the standard inventory area. Same for a medical bag. this would be a massive help.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Please add fixed slots exclusively for meds

Since this topic talks about old grid style inventory, i’ll lock this.

Any further talks about the new list style inventory can go here: New Inventory system complications

//Mod