The new inventory is a disaster!

The new inventory is a disaster!
I’ve never commented on a game yet, but this update is forcing me to do so!
I spent 120 hours in GZ and played through until the current alpine update. I ignored bugs and the graphics errors as much as possible :see_no_evil:, but now it has become unplayable with the new inventory!

1. I can no longer access my assigned weapons. It says that it is assigned to places 1 and 2, but is not equipped
  2. Inventory is now far too confusing! Before that, you could see at a glance what you have and what you don’t and which ammo fits which weapon.
  3. I am one of the players who likes to sort their inventory. For ammo, colors, shapes or whatever … which is no longer possible! Damn!
  4. Before, you could quickly change your weapon with one click during a fight, now …
  5. Why the hell are you asked how much ammo you want to loot? Who would please come up with the idea of ​​counting them? Why and for what ???
  6. It now takes twice as long to loot. Neither you loot everything individually or take everything with you, even what you don’t need at all. Only to then remove the things from his own inventory.

Sorry but this is not a brilliant achievement that was put down there, but crap. “Verschlimmbessern” A beautiful German word for something that has been made worse by an improvement.
The whole thing makes me really angry, sorry! Would love to continue playing and complete the final tasks.
Please dear developers, I love this game (you too, but not now), please either make it better somehow or even undo it, or give us the option in the settings to decide which inventory system you would like to use.
I want to keep playing! But not like that, I can’t. It is impossible. PLEASE and THANKS :hugs:

4 Likes
  1. i fixed this by changing character

2. it gets quicker to use once you get used to it

3. i agree with this i often spent time sorting my inventory into weapons and ammo exetera

4. i find that if you have to change weapon during a fight then that is a result of poor planning

5. maybe so you can split ammo in multiplayer?

6. i don’t understand what you are trying to say here

in my opinion the new inventory system has improved the game for me.

4 Likes

Use forum search, like so: Can equip only one main weapon after March 2020 patch [Workaround]

At first glance, it is complex. But now we also have hotkeys that make new inventory easier and much faster to manage than the old one was. It just takes time to getting used to it, IF you are willing.

It is possible, albeit a tedious thing to do.

To order your inventory (and Plundra), any new item you add will be the last item in the list. Removing items and adding them back can get the list in the order you want. Just like it was with Plundra sorting before the new inventory came.

I’ve manually sorted my inventory and Plundra to keep my items in the neat order i want.

Screenshot (click here to view)

Below is my ammo tab:

• inside Plundra, i’ve put all the ammo that i constantly use at the bottom. Also, i never clear out the Plundra of any ammo type, leaving minimum of 1 round in there, so the ammo order list won’t be messed up.
  • on my inventory side, my most valuable ammo is on top while lesser ammo types are at the bottom.

You still can switch weapons since you can equip up to 3 weapons at once (2 main, 1 side).

It’s stack split mechanic since an event your weight is near 79.990 and if you pick up more ammo that exceeds your weight, you can’t sprint anymore.

Also, it’s there do drop/take the amount you want, not the whole stack as it was with the old grid inventory system.

To make it much faster, on PC,

• press “E” to pick up currently highlighted item (if it’s multiple items in stack, press “E” again to take as much as specified)
  • press “R” to pick up all items in loot table
  • press “Esc” to close loot window, without taking anything (except the ones you took with “E”)

Speaking of that, how are you supposed to loot fast in your perfect world? :thinking:

Oh, one more thing;

This is supposed to mean what? Why say how many hours you’ve played? Bragging rights? :thinking:

2 Likes

So here’s another issue I have with the new inventory system. Let’s say that I want swap out an AG5 for a AG4 or any weapon using a different ammo type from the one in my inventory. I need to drop off the 762 for the 556 ammo but I have so much in my storage that transferring becomes a scrolling simulation. In my inventory I have 6000 rounds of 556 FMJ and 2000 rounds of AP but I just want 1000 in my inventory and need to start at 6000 and scroll to 1000.
Maybe on PC you can type in 1000 and it’s quick but on PS4 you need to manually scroll to the amount you need. Now do this twice for FMJ and AP plus if I want to change out to an SMG then I need to do the same for that ammo type.
I like not having the restrictions on slots but it can be complicated.
So honestly I can’t be bothered to switch weapons unless it uses the same ammo type.

On PC, transfer pop-up has two functions, both with mouse:

• scroll wheel up/down adjusts the value by 1.
  • left clicking and holding on the small ball/dot in the slider, while moving left/right enables very fast scroll close to the desired amount. Similar as you’d use the webpage scroll slider to move quickly up and down.

There are shorter/faster ways for that.

In your example, you’d need to scroll 5000 values (from 6000 to 1000) to get 1000 rounds from Plundra when having 6000 in there.
Instead, transfer all 6000 to your inventory and then transfer 5000 back. Since transfer always starts from biggest number, transferring from inventory to Plundra needs only 1000 values to be scrolled (from 6000 to 5000), when you want to keep 1000 and store 5000.

Of course, it isn’t as fast and convenient as it is on PC but with consoles, you will always have limitations. That’s the nature of consoles and their controllers.

1 Like

So I tested your idea, I transferred 5,984 rounds 556 FMJ from the Plundra to my inventory. When I went to put it back it starts at 5,984 and you have to scroll to 4,984. Granted this is faster but scrolling 1000 digits is incredibly slow.
Guess I just won’t switch weapons.

Yeah, this is the big problem with weapons. Mods and ammo aren’t really stored “In” the weapon anymore, so managing juggling weapons in and out of storage is needlessly tedious.

I think something that is overlooked for new players (or for players who just aren’t sure which guns use what ammo) was that when you hovered over a gun any compatible items in the inventory flashed and vice versa.

This was great it meant that you could see at a glance what was compatible with what.

Now, if you go to your ammo list you have no way of knowing what weapons are compatible as they’re listed separately.

Need to know if you have a weapon that uses 5.56? Pick a gun, go to attachments, go to ammo, does 5.56 show? No. Come back out, and back again. Then pick another gun and repeat.

It’s tedious, and could have been achieved instantly on the previous inventory.

2 Likes

This is even more unforgivable when you remember that one of the guns in Generation Zero is chambered for the wrong cartridge.

Unless you are a serious gun nut, you’re left to guess what ammunition a given firearm takes. Does your AK take the same 5.56 as your FNC, or the 7.62 NATO rounds you’ve been loading in the G3? Because the correct answer should be, neither. (We know the G3 in Gen Zero is a normal 7.62 NATO variant, because the HK-32’s magazine looks nothing like the G3’s, and we know the AK is not an AK308, because that wouldn’t exist until 2018, and doesn’t look much like a classic AKM anyway.)

Matching weapon mods to weapons is far messier now than it used to be, for no real reason.

2 Likes

“This is supposed to mean what? Why say how many hours you’ve played? Bragging rights? :thinking:

Come on, you know exactly what it means, give them a break…

1. It shows the OP is not new to the game and 2) despite all the other problems with the game the OP hasn’t felt the need to complain, until now.

“i find that if you have to change weapon during a fight then that is a result of poor planning”

What a load of…

2 Likes

I opened the game up for the first time in a long time the other night, went to the inventory to remind myself what I had, couldn’t work out what the hell was going, quit the game. With that said, pointing out what is wrong with something is really easy, where as designing something and getting it right is really hard - I’m sure they will improve on it.

i mean if you have to get a weapon out of your inventory in the middle of a fight

Problem being, it’s really easy to accidentally unequip a weapon mid fight, if you go to swap ammo.

There seems to be faster scroll option for controllers as well. Solution here: Please adjust inventory slider [solved]

1 Like

This has absolutely nothing to do with controller limitations. I don’t know if you’ve seen a controller since the NES, but there are a lot of buttons nowadays. Heck, even on the NES controller they could utilize the A and B buttons for quicker transfers. That being said, all you have to do is move your joystick or D pad up or down for much quicker transfer of items. No need to hold down the D pad and the joystick at the same time as was mentioned somewhere else on this forum. It actually works pretty well, Avalanche should just include a tool tip at the bottom of the inventory system. I was also very frustrated by this issue until I figured out the up/down fix. They could further help out by utilizing one of the many unused buttons on the controller. Say, by letting the bumpers advance items by 10 and the triggers by 100.
Loving the game outside of the frustration I had with this issue.