Why is exploration loot so... weak and unrewarding? Even in jumping puzzles?

Yep. This is also how I feel about the rewards part. I am an explorer in any game that allows exploring. I get great pleasure when I find something new in the game.

2 Likes

Yes, I agree.
But that doesn’t cover every person.
By giving an additional chance of getting a reward in form of a valuable weapon, attachment, combination of that, some lore or a good amount of other items those other people could get encouraged to invest more time into exploration.

Just one positive and repeatable example:
Alby church. Most times I visit it there are up to two adrenaline. One up in the tower and one on the roof of the church.

Other examples are the locations where you find the unique glasses. As reward for exploring this location you get a special apparel.

Now you could say, there are tons of collectibles which can count as reward for exploration. That’s correct, but something to use is more worthy for most players. And the 50th 1c Meusser isn’t useful.

1 Like

Oh and I sure do enjoy the exploration alone. I actually mostly only use the “0/2 Weapons” markers to know places I haven’t explored yet, and I get more fun out of decyphering what happened in each destroyed house.

…It’s just that the hardest ones to reach (jumping puzzles, some quests, etc) still feel incredibly unrewarding, when they could’ve been part of some sort of storytelling.

I point again to this reply I gave above:

But I agree, it would be nice to see more combinations, such a 3C Glock with a 3C mag, or a 2C MP5 but that’s fully kitted with a 2C suppressor, mag and red dot, because it was found near the corpse of a special operations agent or something.

The game is FULL of environmental storytelling, so might as well take advantage of that and use gun attachments as another vehicle to tell small stories about who they belonged to, or how they were used.

Maybe it’s a case of “the system is already directed in the way I’m suggesting; it’s just not fine-tuned to the degree I expected yet”. And if that’s the case, I can’t wait to see what you folks roll out next.

PS: Oh, and indeed props to your level designer. My whiny diatribes aside, I really really like what I see in this game. My criticisms come from a place of love, not hate (and wew, did I fall in love with this game fast).

1 Like

It’s good feedback nonetheless. :+1:

2 Likes

A lot of this would be redundant if we could use a crafting station to upgrade weapons the way we do clothing gear. Also the accessories for the weapons. It would make the low quality loot good for something at least.

2 Likes

Weapons should not be removed as loot from machines. It makes perfect sense to find them on a machine corpse. The machines loot them from dead humans along with a lot of other random stuff. Have you ever wondered about those FNIX loot boxes they have at bases that have seemingly random gear in them like radios, fireworks, ammo, attachments, and other stuff that machines have no use for? I believe they use these boxes as dumping points for gear they have picked up to be studied later by the AI, or possibly to be recycled for materials they need. Harvesters harvest needed resources for the machines; so why not the other machines do something similar. The only ones that don’t have misc stuff on them are runners cause they are too small to pack around extra gear. And rivals having the best stuff as far as loot makes total sense cause they are tougher. Think of them like mighty dragons that have collected the loot from a bunch of dead adventurers who thought they could defeat it.

1 Like