Add More Quests to Generation Zero

Ok, when in Denmark you call for an elevator, this button will light up:

Veeery funny, but Danish is a beautiful language. Very much like Dutch, but a bit more down your throat. “I fart” actually means something like “on my way”.

3 Likes

You just made my day.
How did I not know that!??

Oh… Now I get it :grin: Well - thanks for nothing then, you’re welcome! :rofl:

Seriously though, I don’t think the updates are as bad as you imply. The main problem is that the replay value is still not as high as it could be - once you have all challenges and all experimental weapons, you’re still left a bit without a higher purpose - for now… :thinking:

Danish a beautiful language is a bit over the top I think even though I just enjoy being in Denmark. To me as a “fjellape” (Danish nickname for Norwegians- translation would be mountain ape)
I sometimes want to pull out that potato you guys put in your mouth before talking :wink:
But a few Carlsberg/Tuborg always help me understanding Danish and even talk Danish :grinning:

3 Likes

That I can certainly agree with (and even the original story was arguably paper-thin, but at least there was exploration as a motivator, and possibly loot).

And it’s a bit sad because the world of GZ is great, and it’s great to have purpose therein. But at the same time I appreciate that quality content takes time, so I could work with playing something else for a while, and then returning when high quality DLC/updates drop.

It depends a bit on what you want from the game, I guess.

One of the big selling points for me is “atmosphere.” The world seeming believable as “Sweden 1989, except killer robots are out to get you (and apparently already got everybody else).”
Each update so far has tried to chip away at that:

• “I’m fighting for my life, but I took care to put on make-up and a halloween costume.” Really?
  • “I spent much of my time running from robots, so I sewed 40 pounds of metal junk on my clothes so they’ll have an easier time catching up with me.” Really?
  • “This robot once killed one of our team, and as a result, it seems able to shrug off more damage.” Wait, why?

etc.

And I’m not even that hardcore, I can believe that when there are FNIX tanks from the tank improvement lab™, there can be “FNIX weapons”, in a manner of speaking, from the weapons improvement lab™. Others require an explanation for the experimental weapon as well.

(I mean, I’ve already kinda accepted that pistol silencers drop from tanks, which makes no doggone sense whatsoever, so x weapons seem a small step at that point.
I do appreciate that x weapons make the game feel more sci-fi though, rather than “1989 except for the presence of bots”, and some people are understandably bothered by that change in tone.

Personally, I’m more concerned about power creep. If you feel you must add weapons to keep people entertained, fair enough. I don’t need that, but I do appreciate that the “Rambow” or the LMG that were discussed could be fun.

But adding a new tier that just devalues what we’ve already got is a no-no. Improve horizontally by adding new weapons classes, not vertically by adding a new tier to existing weapons. The only reason I can see to “go vertical” is that it’s cheap (can use existing models).)

I appreciate that some of that is a matter of taste (though there are probably better games for people into the outlandish outfits, or a wide variety of weapons, or power creep, or … It just seems weird to take a game whose uniqueness derives in part from being none of those things, and develop it into a direction in which it will be an also-ran at best. :slight_smile: ).

But I think it’s objectively fair to say e.g. that “kill_challenge = 1000x + 500y + 250z” may look like a nice polynomial, but is the cheapest way to make “content”. It has no story, no explanation, no new mechanics, nothing. Its only redeeming feature is that you can ignore it, and its damning feature is that if you don’t, the fact that the game rewards you for robo-scalps now makes you run towards rather than from machines, and once you’ve killed a thousand of a type, what you’ve killed most of all was any chance of ever experiencing them as terrifying ever again.
In fact if anything, killing thousands and thousands of the same machine would be more likely to make me tired of the game and quit, rather than take a break and return to buy DLC.

Speaking for myself, I’d rather have no updates than “cheap” updates, at least then I could feel good about the belief that they’re probably fixing bugs or developing awesome DLC or something. :wink:

2 Likes

I adore the Norwegian language! It is by far the most beautiful, singing, smiling, happy language of Skandinavia. Even Siri Kalvigs dialect made me fall in love with her instantly in the 90’ties. And when I returned to Denmark after five years, I was almost ashamed of the plainness of my own language.

I sincerely apologise for us Danes calling you guys “Fjellaper”. We only say it because it is funny, and I assure you that we say it with a lot of love :hugs:

I know, was travelling Denmark every summer having a blast for several years, just because I enjoy being in Denmark, pretty girls, good food and beer, a happy enjoyable people to me…talking about it I want to go back…keep the beer cold for me Denmark :wink:

1 Like

As usual, @Ennui, you sum it up beautifully. A lot of crowd pleasing (Oh what a wonderfully patronising thing to say :grinning:) has gone into the game lately. But if it can finance further development of the good stuff, I’m willing to forgive. During the last few weeks I’ve done therapy one on one with myself trying to achieve consolation with the terrible things that have happened over the last few updates, because I must admit, that it will be difficult for me to walk away from this beautiful game :wink:

2 Likes

I totally agree with you, and where is the terror, the anxiety, the horror I learned to love early on?
I’m sorry to say I’m getting increasingly more bored at every update, a few sessions and I take a break from it, but still I always come back to check it out cause I really love/loved this game.
I hope the next update will implement a new element of terror into this game…fingers crossed :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

Yeah I agree with you @IanForce . Even just a little touch of human interaction in the game I personally think brings more livelihood. I don’t know if you have played Bioshock but I really like how they implemented the whole “recording” system. There were NPCs in the game but the chances of running into them were less likely since your trapped in an underwater city. The thing that kept the players involved in the story were recordings you found around the map which draws the player in without having to have a huge plot to the story.

Even if Avalanche scraps NPCs this would also be a really cool idea in my opinion.

1 Like

I really like the ideas of hard core and minimalism you outline here, guys. I feel that is the original direction of the game and should stay emphasized.

I also see the other side, however. This is kind of a niche game. It needs players, because the studio needs money. Because we want more [story, missions, bug fixes…].

Rewards for killing robots is a big part in this, even if it means that they drop arbitrary weapons and attachments. And even if it means that there are unrealistic rivals and experimental weapons, and the game turns a little bit arcady. We have the option to ignore this vastly, playing our own GZ.

Also imagine dead robots only dropping big-boy gun ammo and huge equipment we could neither use nor carry around as a realistic human being. We would not gain anything from fights. This game - at least in part - lives from grinding. Fighting hard for getting valuable stuff. I would not want that gone completely.

1 Like

I feel that wasn’t well executed in the base game.
Actually finding survivors is one way to (try to) address that, but if they’d played their hand better in the base game, they may not have needed to change the tone so much.