Add More Quests to Generation Zero

Quest Concept:

I do have to admit I have played countless hours of this game (100+) and can say it is a pretty solid game. The game has an interesting concept and is very immersive, beautiful, and fun. My only complaint would be how lackluster the story is to the game. There is no NPCs to bring a fun experience, not much of an interesting story, and also lacks in an overall content. What I mean by this is, we look at games such as Fallout New Vegas, Grand Theft Auto 5, and Call of Duty seeing on how their accomplishments mainly derive from not only fun game play but compelling stories and quests.

The story on Generation Zero is bland and from what I can recall is also predictable. A Swedish teen returns home with his house in shambles meanwhile discovering that the island has been taken over by robots. Now he must survive the wilderness by fighting off robots and taking back his home. See what I mean, its just a boring/predictable plot that never really grabs my attention. So what I was thinking is that you add a couple NPC “survivors” around the island that you can take quests from!

Examples:

• (Character)'s house has been taken over by robots and you must clear them out, in return he will give you an item.

• (Character) needs to be brought to a nearby town to reunite with his family as they were separated.

• (Character) needs help turning back on the power for his generator, find fuel cans and help get it up and running.

These are just simple examples of what you can do for side quests. Not only will they help build your reputation around the island but they provide you with different options for loot rather than just walking around and searching through abandoned homes. Side missions are just a start of what you guys can create but also just a solid story that allows relationships to bond with NPC’s and interesting characters to help bring the story together. Just simple quests/missions like these will not only up the standards of this amazing game but bring more content to the table for new and old players to enjoy.

Also, if anyone is wanting to discuss more about this feel free to DM me on discord (Grinkle#6357) or just reply I like hearing suggestions.

1 Like

I like the idea with quests.

I have done all main missions, side missions, collectible, challenges, Steam achievements, experience weapons and is at level 31. Nothing more really to do now, expect enjoying the great nature and kill robots for fun.

It would be great to have a source for new quests and missions.

1 Like

Hi @Grinkle, NPC’s have been discussed here a bit, and even though I fully support your request for more missions/quests, I’m not too keen on the NPC idea. The whole premise for the game is, that you (and your friends) are alone on the island. Also, my experience with NPC’s is, that they tend to be very artificial. A message from the dying breath of a NPC (communication) could probably work, but I’m not sure that interaction would be convincing. Anyway, I hope we’ll see some communication with the resistance soon, but I don’t expect to interact with them. We’ll see what happens :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

It is also important that all quests/missions have a purpose for the story, else it is just a trip in the beautiful nature.

2 Likes

I posted some suggestions a while ago…

https://forum.generationzero.com/t/suggestion-procedural-missions-bounties-for-more-replayability/

Oh wait - did they actually implement 2 of my 4 suggestions with Challenges and Rivals ?? :wink::sunglasses:
My guess is helping NPC’s is in next update…

I agree that while the game is spectacular in some regards, there’s a little bit of backstory (that happened while we were away) and pretty much zero story (that we experience). That, I suppose, is where the Zero in Generation Zero comes from.

I’m with @IanForce though in that I feel that the “world without humans” aspect is vital to GZ. The emptiness as you explore.

The quest suggestions incidentally are very Dead Island. :smile: (Not a diss, I got a fair bit of mileage out of those games.)

Add to that that while the landscape looks fantastic, characters in GZ tend to look pants in GZ. You can build something that doesn’t look horrible, you can’t build something that looks great. I don’t offhand remember whether any of the gestures include facial expressions, so can we be sure these models are even face rigged? Getting a mission from a very limited character is bad enough for immersion, but one whose face doesn’t move while she speaks? Meh. That incidentally is one of the reasons I’d proposed “Slumped over, perhaps with an army cap or baseball cap obscuring the face, gives you a mission with their last breath, then dies.” so you can’t see how bad they look / the lack of expressions, and they expire before you notice the limit of their dialog. Or, you know, monologue, really. But that only works for so many characters before it becomes ridiculous.

There’s of course ye olde, “Deposit what I want in the location I tell you, and you’ll receive payment in the same place, without ever seeing my face, or entering my space.” that is both arguably justified by fear, and saves a face-to-face meeting. Would have to be a curmudgeon though (the “I’m not interested in your life story, do you want the deal or not?” type).

So yeah, if we were to have NPCs at all, and I’m not convinced we should, they should probably be NPCs we never meet.

Another option would of course be an outside party giving us missions/suggestions, as long as it’s clear what’s in it for us.

1 Like

That what the saddest apology I have ever seen.

1 Like

same here, everything that can be done, is done, now just accruing kills. would like to see some follow up quest as mentioned, like re-clearing some old areas with new purpose.

… or add at least a few more skill levels … :innocent:

At the moment it’s a waste of potential XP points, at least in my eyes. But I guess all those points accumulated by now are lost, if they decide to add more levels.

Oh and I miss the “optical sign” that a fight is over, like xxx XP gained

I have absolutely nothing against that, from a certain point on, it’s mostly quality of life stuff, anyway. In fact I have a character that feels (slightly) more capable than my level capped one, at half the levels, just because the build is better.

And Swedes are not like that at all. Swedes are (generally) social, trusting, and caring people that I’m sure would collaborate and support each other in a crisis situation. Borderlands NPC’s wouldn’t work at all in this setting IMHO.

Yep, I tend to agree. Or they should at least be very dying :wink:

Yep, I agree again. Again, I would (generally) expect Swedes to collaborate.

Yes, @ameinild, you should be ashamed of yourself :joy: (just kidding, mate)

2 Likes

Those who aren’t get deported to Finland? :smile:

Obligatory Fin-link. Watch the vids if you haven’t. :wink:

Or Denmark. We have some big issues with immigration here. Cultural collisions, you know :wink:

The worst thing is when they bring their food along :joy:

Strange, in many countries, the foreign food seems more popular than the foreigners!

1 Like

I don’t even know what I’m being acused of apologising for !! :rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Yes … well … I was talking about Swedes :wink:

No, honestly, they are really nice.

Do you mean that … errrrm… :thinking: what’s the name of that fermented (rotten) fish (herring?) ? Sjurströmming or something like that ?

:nauseated_face::nauseated_face:

1 Like

Yes, I did indeed! And BlĂĄ Pripps (erroneously claimed to be a beer). They have some really good blueberry soup, though :tea::yum:

2 Likes

I have more questions, Denmark!

You’d humorously taken credit for two of the shittiest updates in recent history, so I humorously pointed out that you should ashamed of yourself. :wink:

1 Like