Adding a distance indicator to waypoints

I was thinking, could this feature be a useful addition to GZ?
Here’s a picture from GZ’s twin, TheHunter: COTW.

The devs may have thought about this, but perhaps they deemed it unecessary.
Is this feature more useful when hunting fluffy bunnies than killer robots?
As of now there are no means of measuring travel distance in GZ, not even when looking at the map.
Placing the marker in the middle of the screen like in TH, would probably get in the way of combat, so my suggestion would be to add a text line under the compass bar, appearing when a waypoint is placed and counting meters in real time, looking something like:
Distance to waypoint: 500 m

What do you think? Useful or just a waste? :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Definitely useful imho.

Especially when tracking a rival it would be nice to know how far it actually is. I don’t think immersion would be a good argument because why then could you have a look at a virtual map and have the position of all rivals there.

Maybe add an option to have all distances to tracked rivals/missions and waypoints or waypoints only (or no distance if you prefer it this way).

1 Like

Yeah, not sure how they would do that, though. It’s possible to both have an active waypoint, an active mission and a tracked rival or location, all at the same time. I’m sure there’s numerable ways of doing this, though, and of course it could all be optional. :slight_smile:
If we look away from the HUD for second, I think there should at least be some way for you to measure distance on the map. After all, that’s one of the main reasons to use a map IRL. :wink:

True. This should be quite easy mathematically. One could do it even on paper since the coordinates are shown for the location of the cursor but it would be more convenient to have it displayed in the game :slight_smile:

I think this also would be a welcome addition to those who want to play without fast travelling. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Spotting Intel skill, level 2.

Or when you place the waypoint and hover over it in map view, it’s distance from you is shown.

I won’t waste 2 skillpoints on that! :joy: Anyway, that’s called rangefinding, and it’s limited to your line of sight. Not exactly what I was referring to here.

Really? How have I never noticed that? :open_mouth: Thanks for pointing that out! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks a lot for that tip. That also means that the game already calulates the distance than it should be relativly easy to show it below our waypoints on the compas?

1 Like

I’m not a coder, so, i don’t know how easy/hard it is to add.