Advice on last skill points

I am level 30. I will soon to be level 31 and I have yet to choose a specialization. I have the survival tree maxed out with 4/5 of the first combat column. I have the survivor and commando specs available.

When I first started playing 4 months ago my plan was to use the survivor spec as I made a little rule for myself that if I could not revive, than that character was dead and I would start over. However I always have an abundance of adrenaline shots.

I am now thinking to forgo a spec and take chemist and lock picking from the tech tree with my last 2 skill points. Sorry long winded.

Basically, commando or the ability to pick locks. Thoughts?

Could you post a screenshot of your skill tree?
There was some discussion of skills over here, maybe some of that might offer some insights?

It’s hard to suggest without knowing your play style. Are you a sniper, or a rambo or quite what?

Thanks for the reply and link

I like to snipe but I would describe my playstyle as more of a guerrilla style. I ambush and retreat into a barn or house, out the back door and flank. I love having hunters chase me around.
If I dont feel like fighting I find it pretty easy to avoid detection. Just wonder if all the loot behind locked doors is worth it.

I think there’s one mission behind a locked door somewhere. (Someone can correct me on that one.)
The locked green huts are ok, but rarely special. If you ever want to try co-op, if you host others can open the locked doors for you and they stay open.

If you like sniping, I think you could get the marksman skill with two skill points, if you wanted it. That would eliminate all weapon sway. From what you’ve said in the op I’d probably go with commando over lock picking.

Thank you. You’re input has been quite helpful. The link to the skill thread as well.

Hm. I seem to remember that I was able to unlock a door before I got lockpick (at lvl 12 or so). Would make sense that that was mission related. Unfortunately I don’t remember anything more. And march_protocol is already lvl 30, so he/she would be past that point for sure.

@march_protocol If playing was fun for you without lockpick, then there likely is no good reason to get it now. Personally, I like to look behind every closed door in a game. And those two-door supply-shacks can give real good cover in fights, they are often located at strategic points (bunker doors). Also the ammo itself is nice. But on the other hand, ammo is plenty, particularly in bunkers, and no unique or special weapons are behind locked doors, or secret entries/exits or otherwise remarkable rooms. Just single rooms with some goodies.

There is one place on Himfjäll where there are always a lot of enemies and this two-door shack is super helpful to fight from. But that is a single occasion in the whole game, I’d say (or maybe one more quite central in the Mountain region).

EDIT: Oh, there could be one door in the DLC you would likely be able to unlock without lockpick. Would make sense. Maybe someone can confirm?

Spoiler

The boiler or generator room of the hotel during the “Fighting the cold” (?) mission.

The mission behind a locked door is “the spotter” its found in a locked militarystorage close by the windmills NE on the basegame map. When I played through the story without using points at all 0-31 I found that mission to be the only only in the basegame where you needed lockpicking.

Meaning you cannot complete it?

Unless someone else has lockpicking in your group then no you can’t complete it. I ended up opening my game up and someone joined that could unlock the door for me.

2 Likes