Ammo box in inventory

Hi guys.,

Right, before today (just) I have never seen the Ammo box that you pick up and put in your inventory. Suddenly I have two.

How does it work? Can you just unpack the ammo you want and stack it in the inventory, or is it only a defensive thing, so you put it next to you while you are defending a safe house or something, and reload only from it, taking four or five seconds while a Dog jumps on your head? How useful is it? And how much ammo do you get out of it (for, say, the 7.62)?

Equip a weapon you need ammo for, empty the weapon mag, put down the ammo box, like a landmine, approach and interact hitting E (pc). You will get some ammo for the weapon equipped. Repeat twice. The amount of ammo depends on its kind. I think 3x20 7.62 rounds. Do not try with a grenade launcher, you will get chaff rounds, similar to emp (unless you really need them).

Attn. A couple of times I got nothing when interacting, a bug? That means I got eg just one yield not 3 as expected :grimacing:

1 Like

Thanks Baz - Iā€™ll give it a go on the morningā€¦ :))

Youā€™re welcome. Attn, I edited my post.

In my experience the place-able Ammo Boxes will replicate the ammo type you have loaded in the weapon you have out when you interact with them (worse, if you donā€™t have a weapon out, say youā€™re carrying a gas can or medical kit, you still take a ā€˜useā€™ off the deployed kit, but get nothing)

If the weapon is unloaded, you can get undesirable outcomes (unwanted types)

The amount of ammo you get from them is also a bit weird, you should get more pistol/smg ammo than AR/Sniper ammo, but since it seems to be dictated by clip size the output is odd.

Ok then, I will try next time with a weapon loaded.

Oh, donā€™t know what to do now! I looted a whole base looking for 7.62. The first five boxes gave me about 150 rounds of 7.62 between them, and then the next thirty gave me not a single round. I had to kill eight runners and ended up with less than I started with, but two ammo boxes. I thought it might do it, but donā€™t know whether to have five rounds left in the weapon or none! It just gives you one mag full, does it? Does it load it straight into the weapon, or put it into the inventory? If you interact with a full magazine what happens?

And is each one worth 240 rounds, or 3 mags of 33?

One full mag, so you can kind of cheat with 762 by equipping the IA76 (loaded with AP if thatā€™s your thing) to get 30, whereas if you have the AG4 you only get 20 from memory

That explains the grenade launcher, didnt get anything worth having from the ammo box for it.

Chaff rounds from the ammo box: I do not know if it is intended or a bug.

When I found my first ammo box I thought it would load the ammo straight to my weapon. Id go to retrieve ammo from the box and get nothing. Had to empty an inventory slot before it would retrieve ammo for the equipped weapon. Wasted two attempts before realizing this. Be careful.

Thank you for that, Iā€™ll make sure I have a slot free.

AG4 I have the extended magazine, so 33 for me. At least I hope so!

I am really not sure it works that way. Last time I tried with an extended AI76 45 rounds mag, I got 3 times 20 rounds (60pm). The best is to try.

I think you get only ammo with the standard ammo capacity of the weapon (extended mags dont work I think) because I have AI 76 assault rifle with the extended mag and only get 30 AP rounds

I tried it out, and have the extended mag for the AG4, and got 20 rounds a popā€¦ Still it was better than nothing - Iā€™m happy with 60 rounds of 7.62 out of a loot-box, and I get to choose which! But next time i might do a weapon swap with one of my ā€œportersā€ firstā€¦

With a loaded weapon or unloaded ? You got FMJ or AP ?

I loaded Ap, left a spare slot in the Inventory and got that same round back. It ignored my extended magazine, and gave me 20 rounds each time. Should have taken them to a safe house and swapped the Ag4 for the AI-76 for that process, which would have given me 100 rounds a box instead of 60. Iā€™ll know next time. Still it was worth 60 rounds of 7.62 for each box and Iā€™d found two. Much more than I normally get.

Thatā€™s Interesting :slightly_smiling_face: