Assault rifle attachment

Would like the The M203 is a single-shot 40 mm under-barrel grenade launcher designed to attach to a rifle.
Specially Automatgevär 4 which I like.

2 Likes

Seems like the devs have been trying to avoid any sort of underbarrel/forearm attachments like vertical foregrips or accessory weapons like the M203 or the Masterkey shotgun. More or less something along the lines of “we didn’t model the gun with the handguards/forestock that would support those items” or some such…

I’d love to see them added, myself. Those sorts of attachments were starting to become a thing, around that time period… Late Vietnam saw the M203, Masterkey showed up some time around then or after… ‘Predator’ was 1987, that had both the M16/M203 and the M16/Masterkey setups…

They’d probably want to avoid them for another reason; accessory weapons means alt-fire modes, lot of companies struggle with the idea of implementing them…or seem to, for some reason or other. Added complexity. Sure, but with benefits!

Yeah, I think that’s the case. It would add another layer of complexity to weapon mechanics. It would probably require a lot of time and resources just for this one feature. I don’t doubt that it can be done, it just seems like a lot of work.

Perhaps if they could be fixed attachments (non-removable) for certain guns only? Though, that wouldn’t necessarily make it any less complicated :sweat_smile:

For one thing it would need a separate trigger switch or a way to switch to the lower weapon. Which that could be solved with it needing a weapon slot on the weapon wheel so the weapon takes up two weapon slots. Then the animation of reloading it. Would make for a nice DLC to buy the weapon attachments for a few select weapons. Then you would have to “craft” the attachments to fit on the weapons. Which once crafted cannot be un-crafted.

Bad idea.
Sounds like opening the door for more issues.
That’s a new system which always is risky to implement.

On the other hand I would suggest to “simply” use the alternative firing modes. Switch from full auto, to burst/single shot and then to grenades.

This triggers that different ammo is needed and that the animations for the attachment become activated.
Now you can switch ammo types through the different types of grenades that may be there.

For switching back to full auto just change firing mode again.

It usually seems like accessory weapons have to be a feature included in the original vision for the game, such that some development time/work is devoted to making it a possibility to begin with. Like for an ALIENS game, it almost wouldn’t be ALIENS without the possibility of the M41A Pulse Rifle…so, they factor that in ahead of time and put folks to work on making it work as a given. I can’t think of any games that have added such weapons after the fact, though I could easily just be forgetting something, or have not touched/heard of something to begin with.

Most games avoid it, if they can. Worse still, if the feature is only going to be applied to a single weapon in their lineup—forget it. The first HALO title, I remember hearing about how they wanted to include a grenade launcher as part of the MA5B assault rifle, but that was going to be like the only weapon that would get such a feature, so they gave up on the idea and turned the launcher part into a flashlight instead.

Other games that have done accessory weapons have also tended to share them across a wide variety of weapons, or at least most weapons of a single class (like, say, ALL ARs can mount a GL), or to go even further and have ALL weapons have some sort of alternate use. The original Killzone went that route; one AR got a GL, the other got a shotgun, one of the launchers had a laser-guided mode, another launcher had a burst-mortar mode, practically everything had some kind of alternative use… The World is Not Enough and the original Perfect Dark went a similar route, everything had some kind of alternate setting, mode, or special function.

GZ is different.
Most of the stuff we now have wasn’t originally planned. Many of it came into the game because of ideas from the community, which of course may have been changed slightly by the devs to make them work.

So, there is still hope for many many new features. If they are possible to be added.

Personally, I like games and look for games that are not the same as each other but offer variety in what they offer. Just because a game has something in it, doesn’t mean every other game needs it too.

2 Likes