Can't get to Main Menu, stuck "Loading"

-Platform is PC-

Hadn’t played in over a month and after trying to play again, I can’t get to the main menu. Immediately before where the menu should load, I get the “Licenses updated” notice and the EULA, then the Anon tracking and crash report permissions, and then nothing. I’ve let it sit for over an hour and it’s just loading endlessly with my username in the corner and the menu music in the background.

• I’ve already tried verifying files twice with 0 errors
  • I’ve tried reinstalling twice with no help
  • and I’ve tried finding similar issues on forums.

I can reliably get this result 100% every time I start the game.

Wasn’t multiplayer.

It’s definitely not a Host issue, as I can’t even get to any point where anything host related would happen. Definitely Client side. Steam is functioning perfectly and have 0 issues there.

My specs:
i7-6700 3.4GHz
RTX2060 8gb
16gb GDDR5 ram
A basic Acer 1920x1080 HD monitor.
Windows 10 64-bit Home edition

Here’s a pic of the situation: https://imgur.com/33utNg1
I’d post my dxdiag if I knew where it was

Please someone sort this out.

EDIT: I’ve now since posting this have tried restarting my PC, restarting steam, and running as Admin. Interestingly about the admin part, when I try to run it this way, it gives me an error that reads: “Steam must be running and logged in to play title online.”, but still launches the game and then does the above problem.

Still waiting for a reply or suggestions or something at this point. Anything.

1 Like

Hey @Hannibal_Rekter :wave:

Sounds like there might be an issue with your save file… :thinking:

It would be interesting to know what happens if you temporarily move your save file into a different folder and see if you can launch and play the game without it, by creating a new game save. If you try that out please let me know what happens, thanks!

IF you would be up for providing us with a save file that could help us identify and hopefully fix the issue for a future patch.

1. Your save file can be found here: Documents\Avalanche Studios\GenerationZero\Saves
  2. Right-click the save folder (containing “savegame” and “savegame.bac”) > send to > compressed (zipped) folder
  3. Go to https://wetransfer.com/ (No account required)
  4. Click the “…” button and select “get transfer link”
  5. Add/attach the .zip archive with the save file(s)
  6. Upload and copy the link
  7. Send me a DM here on the forum and include the link from wetransfer

Sorry for the inconvenience, and thanks for reporting! :pray:

1 Like

Nice to get a response, and from an actual developer too, thanks so much.

Unfortunately, I’ve tried moving the save file to another location, but the game is unhindered. It just recreated a new exact copy and continued to create the problem. I’ve also tried moving both files, the save and the .BAC, with zero luck as well.

Here’s a link to my save folder:[https://we.tl/t-wJ7ePCax42]

You may need to disable cloud sync in steam

2 Likes

Ah, yes! As mentioned by @kakarron

1. Move/Rename both save files in your folder (Make a copy/backup of them)
  2. Disable “Steam Cloud” for Generation Zero
  3. Launch Generation Zero

Following these steps, @Hannibal_Rekter, do you get past the infinite loading screen on launching the game? And can you start a new game/save?

Thanks for the support @kakarron :pray:

1 Like

Alright so I’ve tried that, and after the first attempt it gave me the “Steam must be running and logged in to play title online” error and didn’t launch. I tried getting it to launch following this, both with deleting the save files before each time and without. A few times it would “launch” but not actually launch or even create a process in task manager either. If I tried launching again, steam would give me an error saying it’s already running. After a number of tries later, it would actually launch, but repeat the original problem. After many more tries it has now reached a point where it doesn’t matter if I turn off steam cloud or delete the save files or not, not only does it repeat the original problem, the game doesn’t actually close when I close it. The process is gone from task manager and the game has definitely closed, but steam says it’s still “running”.

This is getting confusing. I still appreciate the replies here and hope you all still keep trying to help any way you can.

1 Like

That’s odd :thinking:

I was unable to reproduce the issue using your provided save file. Tried booting the save in offline mode as well but no repro.

I’m starting to think that it’s nothing wrong with the save file, but something else.

Have you tried logging in on Generation Zero on another computer? If you have access to another PC that you could borrow temporarily it would be interesting to know if the game runs correctly on another computer.

IF you try to run GenZ on another PC and you have the same issues as before, please try WITH and WITHOUT your save file, following the steps provided earlier: Can't get to Main Menu, stuck "Loading"

By enabling cloud save again, you should be able to continue your progress on another PC.

I’ll poke some more technical people in the team and see if they have any theories!

1 Like

Well you be pleased to know, that it finally works! Looks like the patch that came out today either fixed something or at least changed the code for the UI for the main menu which made it load finally I guess. It worked first for my laptop and I immediately noticed the cassette tape loading icon in the corner was different.

Anyways, whatever happened with the patch, it fixed my problem. Thank you so much for all the help. Really appreciate it! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’d like to report that I have the exact same problem as Hannibal.
Played for over a hundred hours and wanted to come back to the game after some months I didnt play.

• tried verifying
    -tried reinstalling
  • tried moving the save file
  • also enabled/ disabled cloud sync

I dont have the issue that the process behaves strange in the task manager. It appears (with about 70% cpu load) and it disappears when i close it.

strangely, I didnt get the “Steam must be running and logged in to play title online” error when I tried started it in offline mode. Its the black loading screen with my profile name and the cassette loading sign every time to infinity no matter what I do ;-(.

Any new ideas to this one?
Thank you.

Edit: Okay, I figured it out.
I almost forgot about a mod i installed way back (I think it was clear sight with gas mask). As I uninstalled I realized there where some files left in the folder. Deleted them, installed again and everything is running fine. Even the old savegame and progress seem to work. Classic mistake. Sorry for bothering you guys. Maybe this can still be of help for someone.

1 Like

It helped me! I forgot that one outdated mod on so I deleted that and a bunch of the dll. files from steamapps/common/generationzero and verified game files. Cheers!