Co-op mission system and progress

I’ve read from various sources that co-op progress is persistent, and one source that said it wasn’t. I’m very curious about the co-op mission progress. I have a small crew that likes to play co-op games all the way through together from beginning to end, so it really matters how the co-op mission system works. A lot of games have the host be a special player and the other players are essentially “guests” who can’t start missions, complete missions or make the story move along.

Ideally the system would be almost exactly like Dying Light; anyone can start a mission, talk to NPCs (I know there aren’t any in GZ), start a new phase of a mission, or just wander off and start a different mission. Does anybody know the exact details of how this works? Can one person start a mission and another finish it? Can anyone start a mission? Can two missions be done at once with different players working on different ones? It sucks when three players can’t do much but shoot and follow the host around waiting for him to do things.

Multiplayer mission saving

In a multiplayer game, your mission progress will only save to your local profile if:
• You are in the host’s game when the mission is started.
• You have previously completed any necessary prerequisite mission.

You can still play missions started by the host without the above, but any progress you make together on that mission will be lost for you when you leave the host’s game.

In the mission log you can see whether a mission you are playing will be saved to your profile or not.

1 Like

The multiplayer progress is just completely wrong. It is not “seamless drop in/drop out”.

They should list it as “only play multiplayer if you are all exactly at the same spot…exactly…or your game will break”.

A live game MUST…repeat MUST allow players at different progression points jump in together and EVERYONE gains progression. Even if you haven’t done pre-requisits. The mission could simply not “complete” until you complete those. But then the game should remember “oh yeah you did XXX earlier #mission complete”

The games Destiny and Destiny 2 did that portion well (as an example).

Deffo agree with you.
My 2 daughters and I created 3 brand new characters. One daughter hosted, rest of us joined.

End of session no main mission progress was saved except the hosts.

I’m thinking, maybe because the host started on the beach first before we joined, and saw the starfish swimming in the sea plus the crabs on the beach then this would make the mission out of alignment so would not count as a prerequisite. I’m joking of course but on a serious note this is totally unacceptable in today’s market.

How are we supposed to complete all missions achievement for example. That will require 2 full playthroughs; one solo and one multiplayer. Crazy thing is the side missions seem to work ok.

Nope just nope - not gonna do it. Such a shame that what the game offers is cool but a basic requirement has been left out. I have no idea why this design choice was followed from the start unless I am missing something obvious. I am open minded and would love to know why?

If Borderlands, Sniper Elite, Zombie Army Trilogy, Destiny, et al can do it and have been doing it for years why the hell can’t this be implemented.

Wouldn’t be so bad if you could copy the hosts progress but then this would challenge the achievements system so would not be a good choice.

Is there anywhere we can check what the devs are intending? I can’t play this game in its current state…

Just guessing, but I think this could be an issue of the latest update with seperated worlds.

It worked before. My friends and me started playing just on one players game and I continued when playing alone.
Well, no matter if you started a game, continued it, joined a coop game directly by following an invitation from the dashboard or joined a multiplayer game out of the game, the progress always was saved in your single world.

Now it’s different.
If you start or continue a game, you’re able to choose the world to safe the progress in. But if you join a coop or multiplayer game, you don’t have this descition. That means, the game currently don’t knows where to save the progress which means that it won’t be saved for clients.

Sounds like an accident and I hope it is one and not intended.

What’s missing in the game is a selection of character and world (for saving progress in) before joining a coop or multiplayer game.

Personally, I would prefer if clients weren’t able to start missions that the host hasn’t initiated because I frequently run into problems where there are items missing or doors that won’t open and I really don’t want to have to go into co-op to find that one missing item knowing the host I just joined will have the same problem I did when a client picked up an item on the world I hosted. This mostly refers to collectibles but sometimes mission progress is “bugged” because a client started collecting mission items that I can see in my Log but are “missing” from their assigned area when I go to look for them. Certain missions have to be completed with co-op set to Anybody as opposed to Invite Only, particularly The Ringfort and the Bjorntunet defense The Resistance. I had to start a new world just to be able to see mission areas that clients have completed