Constantly crashes on Xbox Gamepass multiplayer sessions

Platform: X-Box GamePass

Description: After 20 to 30 minutes of playing, the game lags and stops shortly. Then it crashes to desktop. It often Happens while being in the inventory but also during fights and while looting enemies. It First started after the latest update.

Steps To Reproduce: Continously After 20-30 minutes

Images / Videos: n/a

Host or Client: Host and sometimes Client. Only in multiplayer.

Players in your game: 2 including Host

Specifications: Win 11, VDSL LAN

How can we solve this?

Thanks

2 Likes

If I got it right, win11 still is not on the list of supported os for GZ.

As it doesn’t matter if you play alone or with others (it’s always a multiplayer game), but happens to you just when playing with others, it seems to have its reasons in the network speed or stability, the amount of transfered data, something technical due to the unsupported os or the gamepass version itself. Maybe you read it yet, but the pc gamepass version got a wrong update last time.

Okay thanks, so deleting an re-installing the game might do the trick?

I’m not sure.
There are too many possible reasons.
I even don’t know if you’re free to descide whether you install an update or not on pc gamepass.
You can just try… Or wait for an update that fixes thus issue.

Deleting and re-installing did not help. I have the feeling that the game is crashing even faster now.

Gamepass recently accidentally received a big upcoming update early. That might be causing instability and those crashes.

If so, you’re just gonna have to wait for an update or fix.

I would guess that this got something to do with the version issue that Vlad mentions above! Shared this with the team so they can take a look.

Having the same issue but also on Solo player, unable to fix it by reinstalling. Also using Win 11, so probably something the game has to fix, what a dissapointment to be honest.

Yeah, I get that it’s an absolute annoyance! The team is working hard to fix this and we hope to have a solution soon!

Are we talking more/less than a week from now?

My squad is also experiencing this on GamePass PC version. The crashing seemed to be at random though we noticed a strong tie to opening containers.

Our error was a generic memory error 0x05 style.

Did anyone have DLC that the host didn’t? I believe that used to be an issue when I played it on PS4 ages ago.

All of us had just downloaded the game and were w/o any DLC.

My gaming partner and I are also experiencing the same issue as described in this post, but I’m here to add more details that might be relevant:

Both of us experience CTD as described, complete with the error message about a fatal exception 0x05.
Upon tying to reload the game, the application will not start and instead an error message pops up stating something to do with permissions or licencing. If i can get my partner to join me again we will attempt to play the game until it crashes and take a screenshot of the resulting launch error message.

A system reboot will allow the game to launch again sucessfully. Annoying because my partner is streaming on twitch and a reboot creates a break in the stream.

We usually host on the win10 machine, so windows 11 support does not appear to be a factor here. I run windows 11 and i will often see a CTD shortly after joining a new session after the host crashed.

Neither of us have any DLC for the game. Its hard to justify buying DLC for the game when it is unstable like this. (We are loving the game and really enjoying the streams so we would not hesitate to buy DLC were it not for the crashes).

Possible crash triggers: We would mirror the OP comments. Crashes seem to be triggered by inventory interactions. But also, there are occasions where we will be in a fight but only one of us can actually see the enemy, shortly after which a crash will be experienced.

The following video may be helpful:

The video begins after a system reboot (because of the permissions error).

t+6:08 a crash occurs. Its not clear why.
t+25:00 another crash while the host is trying to change clothing loadout (during the battle beforehand, from about 20:00 there is a suggestion that the enemies the host can see are actually different in number and position to the client player)
t+51:50 there is a discussion of another issue, possibly related where the FMTEL assignments must be completed in the order they are taken and not all progress at once as would be desirable. There is also an issue where only the host or the client are actually able to progress the assignments - even if the host makes the kill on a hunter for example, they do not see the 0/5 progress to 1/5.
t+1:11:55 there is a CTD for the client (that is me). The stream perspective doesn’t show this, but i was fighting and not looting at the time.
t+1:24:20 there is an enemy that is not attacking us. Not sure if this is intended gameplay but there is another CTD on the host side shortly afterwards.
t+1:40:13 both players are using inventory systems (one is recycling, the other is storing items). CTD.
t+2:08:18 host drops stuff on the floor. CTD for client
t+2:12:42 client loots a robot, host CTD
t+2:28:18 Client unlocks the safehouse but host does not
t+2:34:20 another host CTD during a battle. Client had just respawned and attempted to use the storage box.

I chose to link this video in particular because of the high number of crashes - the game is genuinely this unstable but in other streams our patience and willingness to “play through” is much lower.
In another video, client drops some materials for host to upgrade their storage. There is a CTD as she interacts with the dropped stuff and the materials are lost upon restart.
In other streams also there are some good examples of the desynced enemies, as one player watches the other shooting wildly at trees on the horizon, while the other player is in fact fighting for their lives against several enemy runners (or other enemies).

It is possible that some of these issues listed above are not related to the CTD instablity but my working theory is that the networking code is desyncing to an unrecoverable state over time, and results in a crash. The other observed behaviours would seem to evidence this.
Also note that in every case of a CTD, upon restart the host and client are compelled to mute each other in game. Upon seeing this screen you can see that the connection quality is 1 out of 3. On the client side the connection quality is mirrored (player 1 has green and player 2 is green status).
Our internet connection is 120mb broadband, both machines using ethernet connection to router and network test shows latency/ping at 16m/s. There is no issue with connection to the internet on either machine that can account for a 1/3 connection quality showing for either of us.