Deployable sentry turret and more Traps

I was thinking something like that. That would be pretty cool when defending your base.

I wish for there to be tripods in the game, not the WotW tripods, but machine gun tripods that you can put in your base to defend against the machines. It would be interesting to see how this will be put in the game in the future.

1 Like

Same discussion topics merged.

//Mod

strictly speaking; a tripod is not a automatic turret.

I can see how a transportable tripod could be beneficial to the gameplay, throw a tripod on the ground, fix your KVM or PVG to it and get a increased accuracy and reduced recoil.
When the rockets start hitting too close for comfort, remove your weapon, pick up your tripod (witch goes back into the items quick menu) and start running :slight_smile:

If you put down a tripod and mount weapon on it, it becomes mounted weapon (aka turret). Set the weapon to automatic fire mode and jerry-rig the firing mechanism to hold the trigger down. Once the weapon starts to fire, it is essentially an automatic turret since it doesn’t need any outside intervention to fire.

Since both concepts are essentially the same, with only one difference (automatic turrets have their own, independent tracking mechanism while tripod mounted weapon needs player to do the tracking and aiming), both discussions can be in one topic.

What if there was a Player Controlled Turret that could be deployed and controlled, but would only last a few minutes. what would this look like?

Another similiar idea, in safehouses there are mounted machineguns for better defence

Several topics about Turrets merged into one topic.

//Mod

Well, it would look like Tediore weapons in Borderlands 3, especially like The Boo+.

i think that i whould be useful if at important safehouses there is diffrent mounted weapons and traps so you coukd have a cool battle defending your base with your friends, and i think that the ksp 58 is perfekt for having as a defence.

1 Like

This would be an awesome addition to the game imo, but a question… How would the reload system work? Would they gradually fill over a period of time, or would we have to manually reload them?

As much as I love this idea, I’m not sure how the bullet problem would work…

Manual reload issues:

• you’d have to reload every safehouse individually
  • some guns might require lots of ammo which could make fast travel a solvable issue, but an annoying one

Automatic reload issues:

• this would vere off the real life aspect of the game
  • you could sit there for ages without running out of ammo
  • how would the Devs know how much ammo would be enough due to in-game difficulty, and what machines we might face

What do u think could solve the issue @Swe111 ?

Here’s a variation of Swe111’s idea, solving the bullet issue:

• At some specific safehouses, there are weapon tripods placed.
  • You can use any LMG you carry to mount on it (KVM 59, KVM 89 or N60).
  • Mounting a weapon to a tripod isn’t instant, instead it’s some seconds, e.g 5 seconds (not realistic, i know but better to wait some short time than realistically 2-5 minutes).
  • Once the weapon is mounted, all the ammo you had in your inventory for that specific weapon is given to the weapon, in the form of one, long ammo belt.
    And if you happened to have both ammo types (FMJ and AP), all is given to the weapon and you can change the ammo type with the same key bind as normal.

And there you have it.
You can use your own weapon and ammo to defend the safehouse. Downside of this is that you’ll be giving up mobility (running around) but you’ll gain constant fire (no reload), depending on how many bullets you had in your inventory.

Dismount can be done 2 ways:

1. Instant - your LMG with all of it’s ammo is left on the tripod. (Good if you need to exit fast but you can get back behind the weapon when needed.)
    or
  2. Longer - you need to wait some time, e.g 5 seconds, for dismounting your LMG from the tripod and collecting ammo, after which, your LMG with remaining ammo is put back to your inventory. (Good when you’re done enjoying your rat-tat-tat-taa and are ready to move onwards.)

For MP security, once you’ve mounted your LMG, only you can use it. Just like bikes are. Those are individual as well. This way, no-one can steal your mounted LMG with all of it’s ammo.

5 Likes

Would the tripod have some kind of armor on, or around it, or would it just be plain? Because logically speaking, it would have some kind of armor, just because…well…huge bots are shooting at you.

Maybe there could be two different kinds of tripod. One armored (longer setup and/or reload time, in exchange for better protection). And another one thats unarmored but faster setup and/or reload time.

Or, as a third option, it could depend on the gun, ammo capacity, etc.

When i was writing my idea, i visioned it as a plain tripod.

Though, my tripod idea is better suited for MP, since other player(s) can distract the machine(s) while you’re shooting at it with your tripod mounted LMG. Or vice-versa.
For SP, that feature is more of a hindrance since you don’t have no-one to draw machine(s) attention away from you. Unless you throw flares/fireworks.

As far as armor goes, that is more of a visual eyecandy than actually effective protection. Because during my entire time in GZ, machines always find a way to hit you; either directly with bullets, rockets splash damage or mortars from above.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Plans for base building?

Discussion moved to proper topic.

//Mod

Aloha making my first post in here :slight_smile:

My ideas are:

1. being able to make shock/ explosive tripwires

2. more mine types e.g. self made ones with nails or sth

3. remote detonation stuff like c4 etc

pls lemme know what u think - also this is a suggestion for the devs to add to the game :slight_smile:

Traps are very cool and useful especially at the beguinning where you dont have strong weapons and less ammo. They work very good against groups of runners and lower tier hunters.
The problem is have is that the further you go the less useful they become.
That is because of two reasons I see:
1st: Damage pontential of explosives
Propane tanks and fuel cells from machines do work for runners and hunters up to fnix tier. I would say above that you need more of what you usually carry (lets say 5-8 tanks). Large fuel cells do a little bit more damage but also weigh more. You can combine them with bigger explosive tanks or cars to do more damage. But they do just not enough damage to use them effectivly in late game. I cant remember when Pontus even pick up a propan tank. Probably most players do rather carry 5 kg more ammo for their exp weapons and to more damge with them.
But even if the damage would be higher we still have the second problem.

2nd: Ways to attract enemies.
We have radios and seeker lures and thats it. Both do work for fast enemies that immediatelly react and run towards the location like runners and hunters. They are almost useless to attract harvesters and tanks. Harvesters are just no fast enough and Tanks just run somewhere but not to the radio. They have in general a rather random movement pattern.
Flares are not very suitable because the enemies stay at a distance and fire at the flare.

So what I imagine is higher damage for large fuel cells so that you can do significant damage to machines. I also would like to see a gas tank with combustable gas. If you shoot at it the gas make a bigger cloud and mix with oxygen and become explosive. Now when you shoot on a machine that stands in the cloud the sparks will ignite the gas and it will detonate like the fire wall attack of apo tanks or Reaper.
To attract machines better the boom box could play the sound twice as long.
Since Harvesters are so slow we need a different way to attract them. I’m thinking about the cpu of a Tank for example or some other valuable components you could take from destroyed machines (maybe the Heads of Hunters and runners). If you place those on the ground the Harvester tries to salvage them and moves towards them.
For Tanks we could maybe use a comunication module of harvesters that we manipulate so that it calles for help for a longer time. That could be a good way to plausible attract Tanks.

Regarding the sentury gun I’m not a big fan of it to be honest. If they are as useful as hacked machines it would be a waste of time to build them and carry them arround. If they shoot like hacked machines they would not target compoents and therefore do almost no damage. The only use I see is to attract machines. If they are destroyable they are gone in seconds since they are stationary. I would rather invest the programming time in making a pet runner which is movable.

First i enjoy the Ksp 89 and N60 and impress by quality of model and animation.

I may not be the only one playing solely as Support/Gunner role and with the add of “prone”
I think be able deploying your LMG on ground and cars,rock,etc will be a great addition.

My idea is the bonus given should be:Less recoil with accurate automatic fire, trade off to be unable disengage quickly.

Most of LMG have bipod already the Ksp 89 have none or in folded position as it should be with no heat shield but i’m neat picking here.

i’m curious to see how many player think it will be a good adition :slight_smile:

Same feature request (tripod/bipod) topics merged.

//Mod

created an account to reply to this, but i run a spotting skill tree. that means the damage boost perks, hacker, all that jazz. a crossbow would be fun for me, as i’m already playing support, rather than full on damage. i’m currently using a .50 cal, and when me and my buddy get on the spotter role is fun.