Experimental ammo

Some serious and busy people been spotted playing hardcore military shooters (like ArmA’s or Squad), where you are guaranteed to meet an armored vehicle and all you have is assault rifle. But they still play it, despite rouns being hours. Oh, and they may don’t like guns/equipment that have certain factions, but still have to use it, becase that only options they have.
And if you know where to shoot, it won’t “take forerver” even with “unfavorable” guns. Killing FNIX Tank takes around 60-80 .270 SP on Guerilla. Even less at weaker diff’s. Destroying FNIX hunter takes 5 shots on average with exp. pvg90, but I’ve seen average people spend more than that on the adventure.

You see, I’ve arrived in GZ at Apr’20 patch with buddies (the one with ridiculously deadly machines). We choose from start scaled Guerilla, knowing NOTHING about game. That was… traumatic experience. Which led to “game getting dull, duh” to the point that playing Guerilla with rusty guns to get same thrills. And mostly I see people like overkills playing adventure mode with experimental pvg90+kvm59, sometimes even with scaling disabled. It’s quite rare to see someone playing Guerilla nowadays and lobbys like that, that still has quests are worth to stay for a while.

Same too: “no stone unturned”. And to make game exciting I’m actually spending stuff I’ve been hoarding instead of dropping/recycling.
I have a lot of ammo too, but I’m still usually getting more than I’m spending (even without salvaging skills) if I don’t recycle and I’ve upped the game cycling guns, deciding on specific ammo weight in storage.

Thing about this topic to play game with a bit more variation. If people in most cases ended up playing Vanguard build with only experimental MG+railgun - this is a bad design.

1 Like

I hear you there. I agree with what your saying.

I believe I play on adventure, only reasons are you don’t get better drop rates, you don’t get more xp, and on gurilla it just takes to long to kill stuff. Most of the time, I don’t have hours to play a game. So in my short time I don’t want to waste it killing a few machines.

Personally I don’t like the reaper. He’s good to kill if you need experimental weapons but not much else. I have all of those I want.

I also don’t like when games turn enemies into bullet sponges , and the player is squishy as he’ll and call it harder. I call it annoying. Making enemies smarter as you increase difficulty with some additional damage and health is a better way. I’m not a dev, nowhere close so I actually don’t know how possible that is.

2 Likes

Anything is possible, given that you have enough time, manpower and money. And even if you have all three, you still need to consider if the time spent on implementing this or that is beneficial to the game and players.

For example: if you have two choices, between idea A and idea B, but:

• Idea A takes 40 work hours to code for 3 devs and benefits about 15% of players
  • Idea B takes 10 work hours to code for 1 dev and benefits about 65% of players

What do you think, which idea devs would choose? A or B? :thinking:

I like the idea of experimental ammo, it fits into the theme and feel of the game, but I would suggest just dropping it into the current system as a pickup from bosses or only craftable at certain places with rare drops from tanks or something. not too accessible and tbh it would be overpowered anyway if I can craft hundreds of edge tech ammo at a bench in a church with some steel and powder I salvaged from 9mm pistol bullets.

imagine having to fight your way into a FNIX facility past hunters and tanks just to make some good ammo at a bench there, a twist on the dungeon raid from mmorpgs.

But I can ehco that once I got my exp pvg90 it has stayed in my #1 slot until I ran out of ammo. if only I could put a red dot on it :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I like the idea to have a special work bench which is heavily guarded and also the drop from high tier enemies.
My thought in making it craftable was only to reduce the coding and developing time. They could also make it cost existing ammo types but that would not fit into the current system with the different materials.
Somehting like to craft 10 exp .50 cal bullets you need to use 50 regular .50 cal bullets.

We could also get it from assignements.

Exactly! In this way, the daily missions and especially the weekly ones would have a real meaning. Strongly agree.

1 Like

Depends. If idea A brings more to the game, and make it a more interesting I would take that option. We all know it takes money to make money. I have no problems spending money on a dlc if it keeps me playing the game longer and it doesn’t get stale.

Now if option B is let’s say base building, I would diffently go with A.

For me base building killed the game. I havent played it since the 4th. Reminds me of Fallout 4 building, which was crap. Plus I like to build where I want. Not where I’m told.

If I want to build a base I play 7 days to die. I can build anywhere in that game and also build with better materials then wood. That’s what I have been doing since the 4th.

Maybe the next update will bring me back to the game. That will all depend how long that is. So for now Generation zero is put away right beside Fallout 4

Well, base building is optional and you can still play the GZ as usual.

I haven’t played Fallout 4, so i have no clue what’s going on there but i’ve played 7D2D, back in the A18.2. Nice game, especially without zeds. Then again, mechanics in 7D2D are completely different, allowing you to build anywhere (similar to Minecraft).

Base building is not totally optional, you have to participate if you want those experimental ammo schematics.

Thou you can just do easy runs until you have them, and pretty much no need to build base. Just couple walls to protect the truck, to make sure it wont fail.

Well, base building isn’t mandatory. But if you want to have additional content, then, yes, you need to do something for it.

There are other optional aspects in the game:
Assignments → Apex Connect account
Experimental weapons → Rivals
3* and up apparel schems → Rivals
“Mjölnir” → Reaper

Well now we have the exp ammo I wanted but not in the way I wanted.
Lets now hope the devs will tweak them to reduse the overuse of two guns.
At least with the new ammo types other weapons can be a little bit stronger and be therefore more usefull.

Aesyle, I think this is GREAT idea!
While the experimental weapons are a brilliant addition to the game environment, the thought of getting those experimental capabilities through limited ammo instead adds a tremendous longevity value to the long-term play strategy.
I would be pleased to see that idea implemented and refined by the developers.
Thanks for the suggestion!! Good job mate!

1 Like

About that,

In the latest, Resistance update (spoiler, click here to read)

Limited, experimental ammo was actually added to the game. And almost the same way as i suggested it. :smile:

After successful base defense, you get the crafting schematic for that experimental ammo (there are several types) and that experimental ammo can be used with any weapon that supports that ammo type. E.g 9mm handgun HEAT rounds, that can be used by Klaucke and N9.

I’d like to continue this conversation here.

Medical slug on exp. shotgun has great griefing potential with this knockback, although it heal as advanced FAK (for comparison, .50 med. heals ~33 hp)

HCPD (Corrosive HEDP for CarlG) round, I think would be great as “corrosive smoke” (like mili-hunter’s tear gas that works on machines too), instead of usual explody one with lingering damage over time.

1 Like

I have some of the experimental ammo types unlocked and i’ve tested only few of those.

From what i’ve tested, i could tell much difference with 9mm SMG Corrosive ammo, even when using it with 6* Kpist Overdrive mode for synergy. :thinking: I did see the Corrosive animation on a machine but couldn’t tell a difference if machine armor was damaged more due to this.

9mm SMG Explosive ammo is nice. It leaves behind small explosives that attach to any surface (including machines) and work similarly to 6* 12G shotty explosive flechettes, where they explode some time afterwards for additional damage.

Even managed to capture few of those elusive devices when they landed on a wall:

I also agree that High-Corrosive Dual-Purpose rounds would work better as Corrosive Smoke, rather than direct hit, as they currently are.

I finally reached Tylöveden on my current playthrough and am wondering whether the char can obtain exp. ammo blueprints below level 25? Or is it like with the exp. weapons that you need to have your char at or above level 25?

2 Likes

I asked the same question in a different thread. @Aesyle said the requirements don’t apply to the schematics.

4 Likes

As quoted above, there is no level requirement to obtain experimental consumables schematics.

I’ve personally tested it, with my 1st char, that i wiped. Base defence missions are great sources of XP and i’ve gotten exp schem always, despite my char at the earliest time was lvl12 and now is lvl23.

5 Likes

Thank you for the info. Really appreciate it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Unfortunatelly the implementation of experimental ammo is exactly the opposite of what I hoped it would be. Instead of make it necessary for exp weapons to have their stronger effect and limit that way their overusage, the additional effect comes on top of the effect of exp weapons. At least the ammo suppy is limited due to the uranium.