Game is slow on AMD A6-6310 APU

Hi,
I’m having the same issue I see others having of super slow, laggy movement but none of the fixes are working for me. It happens right from the start, not after respawning. Here are my system specs (if the pic uploaded). I know they’re not the best but I can run games like Vermintide without issue. The biggest difference I can see between my system and the fixes that are posted is I have an AMD graphics card and I don’t have the option of choosing to run the game off it. Hoping there’s a fix out there I haven’t found as I’m really excited to play this with some friends.

To play GZ, you’d need a proper PC (modern desktop or laptop), rather than using old notebook from 2014. That’s the reason why game runs slow.

Back in 2014 when your A6-6310 APU was launched, it wasn’t top of the line either. It was entry-level APU, designed to run low demanding daily workloads like Office, internet browsing and multimedia.

While your APU does have integrated Radeon R4 graphics, on average, the graphics performance is comparable to Intel’s HD Graphics 4200 or a dedicated Radeon HD 7470M GPU.

Also, your example of running Vermintide doesn’t compare since Vermintide was released in 2015 while Generation Zero was released in 2019. Between the two games, there are huge differences in graphical workload expected from GPU.

Only fix is to buy new, up-to-the-date PC.

2 Likes

While I agree with everything you said this is the exact issue with console. I don’t have the PC version but I’m sure it will run way better than my current PS4 Pro version. If too many machines start to gather in a small area the FPS drops to a ridiculous rate, thus is nothing new as it has been around since launch.

I left GZ for at least 6 months and figured it would be fixed by now but it’s still there. Not as bad as before though.

Also I get this strange audio glitch all the time, where you hear pinging noises constantly and only restarting fixes it. It’s really loud too, comes out of nowhere.

Reasons why consoles (PS4 and Xbox) at times may also struggle with GZ is because GZ is borderline game on consoles with very little if any room for expansion game wise, without being too much for consoles to handle.

Considerable FPS drop when plenty of machines are at the same area is one good example and proof of consoles capabilities.

For other aspects, there have been requests of adding more wildlife into the world to make the game more realistic. While PCs can handle all that without issues, consoles can’t. Latter is also explained a bit more in-depth by devs in one of the older dev streams, at 00:15:22,
link: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/437997329?filter=archives&sort=time

I’m not saying that consoles are great for gaming but it should be optimized to work on console.

I shouldn’t have to purchase the game on steam again and start over because it’s not optimized for console. Plus if I bought it on PC wouldn’t I need to start over? There isn’t a login to save progress across platforms that I know of. Also I have seen the same happen on the PC version so it’s not really the hardware it appears to be a software issue.

There are a lot of small dev teams that put out ports to console that just work. I play The Forest on PS4 and while not perfect it runs beautifully That had something like a 5 year early access for the team to optimize it.

Why does a game like Red Dead 2 play so well on console? I played that on launch and never had major issues like GZ. Rockstar obviously has more resources to put into a game before launch to make sure it’s ready to go.

Yet when did we get to this point where we accept that games are now released as unfinished? When I was a kid with a NES, Super Mario came out on a cartridge, the game worked as advertised, and it never changed. I can insert that same cartridge today and it still works. Now we buy something and they can change the entirety of the game from what it originally was with a patch.

While this can be good it can also ruin the experience that we originally agreed upon when it was initially purchased.

BTW I realize this isn’t a GZ issue, it’s an issue across the board with all games in the current climate.

At least there is no microtransacrions.

Thanks for that Devs.

I have the game on PC, Xbox and PS4, and the PS4 version has the most performance issues.

Sorry, my full AMD system begs to differ, average 70-80fps running 3440x1440
There are games that have AMD issues, but this doesn’t appear to be one

I agree. The topic is a bit misleading (although it doesn’t say AMD graphics cardS), since it’s not a general issue with AMD graphics, but more about the specific APU the OP is using.

So OPs problem is the age old one… laptop is using the iGPU instead of the AMD dGPU. Is there no way to manually switch this in the AMD drivers?

Corrected topic title.

//Mod

OP has notebook, not laptop. Also, there’s nowhere to switch to if there isn’t physical dedicated GPU in that old notebook.

One option would be jerry-rigging dedicated GPU with riser cable and external PSU powering that GPU but that’s a lot of hassle where buying new PC is far easier and safer as well.

1 Like