Gas masks need to be revamped

@ObligatedRug050 and @Madchaser do you guys use gasmasks often? I haven’t wore them since I last searched Bergfinken’s lower gassy levels for stims and resources. That’s more than a year ago.

2 Likes

The same for me.
But just because how they work… And because their small effect on gas.

If they would be more easy and fast to use (i. e. by just pressing dpad down) and would have a greater effect I would use it more often.

That’s the reason for this topic.

The masks as they are actually are not really worth to use. Just in one or two bunkers where you have enough time to select it and don’t need your guns so that you may run just with medipack selected.

1 Like

I know, I was just asking a question because I am curious what you guys do.

2 Likes

Same for me, can’t remember last time I used a gas mask. Must have been in one of the bunkers, just to come to the conclusion that it’s not worth it.

Last time a tried to use a mask I battle I realized that I was still spamming the med packs but with limited visibility! :wink:

1 Like

They could add firetrucks and firestations to the game. There you could find the breathing gears firefighters use. May not work on all gases but maybe for some of them. I don’t use the gasmask because it’s to complicated to take it on and off since it’s clothing so not sure how good/bad it is. I just try to run when I see a gas attack coming.

There already is one in Östervik.
Not the best solution how they did it, but better than nothing.

When I want to get into full character, I would wear my gas mask in areas I know there is going to be gas, not because it works but because it’s what I SHOULD wear for protection, if it really worked. But the same goes for changing into a rain suit, warmer clothing for the snowy areas and so on. They are all just for show and not much more.

The same could be asked about all the apparel. Most of it doesn’t do anything but change the looks of the character, since that is all the gas masks really do now.

There are areas, known areas, that a complete HazMat suit could be worn to get into the areas, like in bunkers or on a lot of the areas in the Himfjall Island missions. There could even be signs posted that it is a hazmat suit area. Then the suit could have a complete breathing system, that really works. Then it would be worth the effort of changing into it.

MOPP gear would be cool, and each piece worn would offer more protection. For example,
Mask: 25%
Coat: 25%
Pants:15%
Gloves: 10%
Boots: 10%
For a total 85% protection.
As a tradeoff for the increased protection,
Your slower, tire quicker, and aiming is slightly wobblier depending on how many pieces are worn.

The main issue is, that still doesn’t offer full protection. It would essentially just create a more complex version of what we have now, although granted it would take longer to die. What would be more beneficial in my opinion would be a gas mask/suit that offers full protection, but does not last indefinitely.

Instead of revamping the gas mask system, just apply the weapon tier system to gas mask. gray, blue, purple, and gold. The better, the longer the protection, with the best being full protection for unlimited time.

7 Likes

I really like this idea.

This would literally solve all of our problems.

1 Like

:+1:
The same could work with helmets.
Their only use is to give your head a bullet protection.

So every single headpiece could get a tier.

Edit:

*Hair: 1c - 0% protection
*Hats: 1c - 0% protection
*light helmets: 2c - 3c: 1% to 3% protection
*normal helmets: 2c - 5c: 2% to 5% protection
*experimental helmets: 3c - 6c: 3% to 7% protection

previously

*Hair: 1c - 0% protection
*Hats: 1c - 0% protection
*light helmets: 2c - 3c: 5% to 10% protection
*normal helmets: 2c - 5c: 5% to 20% protection
*experimental helmets: 3c - 6c: 10% to 30% protection

Just as example.

1 Like

Helmets should offer some protection. But not that high. I don’t think the game has specific hit points for different body parts. It just adds the total value of all protection and with such high values combined with other clothing we would be able to take to many hits without going down.

1 Like

Yeah, logistically it would be too powerful.

It was just an example and of course you’re right.
I edited the percentages to more realistic values for this game.

But for the idea before, regarding tiers for the gas masks, higher values are needed.

2 Likes