Generation Zero (2021) Oversaturated Mediocrity

Thanks, considering how wacky things can get, I appricate that

That actually made me think of something, melee could actually work if the exp or foa exo suit cosmetics weren’t just cosmetics and instead actually had functions. Let’s say lore wise foa had made a exp high tech exo suit that was initially built for workers that carry stuff. And through a quest we could get it (not from a random machine cause IMO that’s basic and boring). With a help of a ex foa engineer it could be modified to increase the users strength more so meele could be used. Then remove the EXP sledgehammer (because lore wise it actually doesn’t make sense at all but I wont explain because then this text would be mega long) and the bränboll trä, because none of them make sense at all. Instead have a melee weapon that’s actually built to kill machines.

So TLDR create a fun way to make meele make sense that fits the games world other than being a thrown in feature.

1 Like

I think Its a good Idea Especially since it would add credibility to pulling off melee attacks.

1 Like

I agree with you for the most part, the melee weapons we do have could still be useful against runners. (Or ticks…but we dont talk about those)
The part that I agree on the most tho, is the machine slaying weapon that would be unique to its true purpose (slaying robots) whether it be built using the blade from a hunter or just a large piercing weapon. All this assuming you have a fully functional exo suit.

1 Like

I even think if they have done that with the way we describe meele, with the EXP sledgehammer and just in general, it would make sense. Not from a realism POV but a story one. Given the context of how deadly the machines are and how hard the military failed, it seems odd that some random teenager would go around hitting machines with a wooden bränboll bat. Doesn’t add up with what was established at all. But if meele was presented as a high-risk high-reward thing, and getting it required progressing to get an exo suit ( that isn’t RNG based) it would feel so much more rewarding.

If they just spent effort and time trying to create a cohesive world instead of randomly throwing stuff in, ie the weapon packs and the reaper. I think so much of the game could be better.

1 Like

This Is a good idea, an Idea that is enticing

1 Like

I dont mind the variety of guns, tho they could be more centered around the situation.

As for the reaper, I wish it just was just roaming around like any other insted of it being a boss. I like the danger of it, but knowing its location ruins the surprise of Death lurking around.

I like the difficulty of the machine because of having to decide whether to avoid it or hunt it. It gives the sense of being the Resistance and not “Master Chief” if you catch my drift?

I didn’t think about that, sounds actually more dangerous and maybe i’d be a little scared. Despite it’s generic movesets (AOE and stomp), not knowing it’s out there would fit in the game better. Rivals included I’m not a fan of how the game has this need to explain stuff by an external force outside the games story. By that I mean the wall of text that appears when you first spawn it, in the reaper segment in the video at 26:56.

It just takes out so much what made the reaper interesting before it became a fightable machine, there was so much mystery around it. What’s sad is that it’s never talked about in the game itself, it existing has no impact on the story what so every, it feels so out of place.

I can agree with that, but for me personally, it’s not so much about the difficulty. Rather it is the way you fight it. The AOE and shields only make the reaper hard in a cheap way, there’s not much in learning a strategy, it’s just the same tactics as any other tank but you just need to DPS more. If you die then just adrenaline shot or respawn and try again. There is no consequence to losing, aside from losing a bunch of ammo. But when you do kill it, you get all that back anyway plus some EXP guns. Wich in the end are the same rewards as you get from a normal rival. Sure there is the EXP sledgehammer but I’m not a fan of melee so wouldn’t use it, then there is the cosmetic you can get. But it has zero functions so it’s useless.

TL:DR Nothing about the reaper does anything or impact the story or world. Rewards are just more of the same so the end goal feels more like grinding ammo than doing anything meaningful.

1 Like

:star_struck:

What about a “Nemesis-System”?
You know Resident Evil 3 (game), where the Nemesis follows the player through almost the whole game?

Imagine such a system for rivals inside a region and for the reaper for the whole map (or himfjäll, depending on his spawn-position). You cannot see them on the map, you just get an info that they are there. And they will follow you… They will hunt you. That sounds scary.

3 Likes

I talked about something like that in the video, though for rivals. Anyway I think it would be really cool, since it would give more agency and incentive for the player to be constantly on the move. Plus that constant fear of feeling watched.

The main trailer kinda hinted or talked liked it was a feature in the game. Was a little disappointed that never was the case

1 Like

Plus the reward (exp loot etc) feels more like a reward for surviving, not as a simple bounty for hunting a huge machine.

The times, where players join multiplayer to hunt the hosts rivals could be almost over, as you can’t see them on the map and hunt them. Exp weapons would become more rare, I guess.

Sorry, didn’t watch your video.

I agree with this, the strategy is certainly preset, and you cant do anything about it. Tactically, I use a barn to fight the Reaper by getting it to spawn in the farmlands :joy:.

The reaper itself counts as lore, but it certainly hinges on nothing, it can be fixed, much lore still needs to be written… Like for instance the bunker its found in has many closed and locked doors that lead who knows where…(just realized you cover the underground tunnel system in your video and talk about puzzles which I like. :sunglasses: good video by the way.

Ive killed the reaper only twice, it certainly eats my ammo, which I dont mind, but I agree with you. The rewards are low and it gives you no sense of progression, and because it brings no progression, it shouldn’t really count as a boss.

Rivals are kinda meh, It would be better if they grew in awareness and then made their way too your location (within the region they spawn in).
I think you also said something about “learning the players tactics” which would be a good trait, dont know how they would go about doing that.

1 Like

There could be different things, rivals could be improved.

Changing tactics (especially for tanks):

• Going into close combat even if gun and mortar/missile launcher are intact.

Changing weapons

There could be more differences in armament compared to the non-rival versions, like an additional grenade launcher (gas grenades, napalm grenades, nuclear grenades,…) or more often the large rail gun, dropable mines,…

Additional equipment

• What about a seeker-like alarm-sound-module directly on a rival tank or harvester?

Just some ideas for some more differences so that you are forced to change your tactics. For now, I feel that rivals are just some machines with more armor and more health.

But the greatest change would be the above suggested “nemesis-system”. I would love this!

2 Likes

That’s the number one thing I really don’t like about this game anymore, the whole fix it later mentality. The game says it’s finished but certainly feels early access to me. I’m gonna be harsh and say that those parts of the game does not respect the player’s time and intelligence. The rivals and especially the reaper can be so interesting, but just isn’t.

And that’s a shame because the way the reapear was reveled in FOA4 was so good, never have I actually felt scared by something standing still. At any second I thought it was gonna activate. There was so much potential. But the game fails to keep (IMO) the player hooked and instead uses teases to stuff that probably never will be a thing, or promises that things might get better.

4 Likes

The stuff you have written here is basically similar to what I said. And I agree with it, rivals could be such a good concept. Since the game was initially about gurealla tactics, it would only make sense for the machines to adapt in one manner or the other. But sadly the rivals only defining trait is one name and some rng.

To me, the map revamps seems rather unnecessary right now. Not only for their lack of contunitury but because it feels like they take up more time and recourses than actually adding or fixing old features.

1 Like

I haven’t watched your video yet, but I’d like to chime in in regards to the constantly changing world.

I wish that the regional revamps were not omnipresent and instead based on progress, time, etc. I started playing in December last year so there was a lot of very jarring stuff caused by the whole evolving map.

Spoilers for post-ending stuff, sort of

When I was finishing up in the Archipelago, I went to Masskar and was like wtf? This huge destroyed Resistance base getting actively shot up by the FNIX Cannon (!) doesn’t make sense to be easily accessible in the tutorial area.

After the Archipelago I headed to the Farmlands (not a great idea in hindsight, dozens of Tanks and Harvesters when my best gun was a 2c Kpist) and then to the South Coast. I could tell that those FNIX structures were something that I wasn’t supposed to see yet, so I spent a lot of time purposefully avoiding these areas because they didn’t make sense. At this point I didn’t even know what the machines were or where they came from (Soviets, Aliens??) but I was able to interact with FNIX’s machinations created months after Behind the Curtain.

Then Landfall came out and it was a similar story where I hadn’t done any of the 4 last missions but I was seeing a Soviet invasion in progress. At this point I didn’t know who Von Ulmer was or that FNIX existed but I was seeing Soviet Machines (!), abandoned Soviet outposts and the Resistance Newsletters.

This is also kind of a problem with the 2 DLC missions. As soon as you start they game they appear in your log, so I was at Yttervik reading about how I wasn’t alone in the world and that it’s been months after the Cataclysm and there are a bunch of survivor groups in hiding

I just wish all the post-game stuff wouldn’t appear until you finished Behind the Curtain, or something like that so the timeline and story wouldn’t be so jarring for new players.

3 Likes

Problem with that is new players can join player’s maps that are done with everything. I don’t see the game being able to flip back and forth.

The last update broke a lot of the base game play and made it harder to enjoy just playing. Look at the posts about how players are trying really hard to make the broken assignments work.

1 Like

Yeah, at this point I know that they definitely aren’t gonna re-do how all the revamp stuff works, but it’s just a shame that the story is so jumbled for new players.

What stuff did Landfall break exactly? I’m quite aware of the broken assignments, but what else got messed up? On PS4, it’s pretty much been business as usual since Landfall. I just wish they would let us alter the deadzone on the weapon wheel so it’d be easier to select stuff.

2 Likes

Damn this thread just refused to die.
Jokes aside I agree, I feel like at this point so much of the story’s context will feel massively different, due to there being revamps that could be considered spoilers or something like that. A huge selling point of the game was initially the story, but now it feels like it’s being sidelined or at least not having much care anymore.

Revamps were a cool concept, personally I thought it mean they would make towns more diverse and make them feel like actuall towns instead. There is so much missing like schools, hospitals more types or store etc etc. Now it’s mainly here is a tease to a story we might (never) do or some blown up buildings. Not that it’s bad, I just don’t agree with the current way it’s done.

To me revamps feel like a waste, because we are still 3 years later since release, are getting features that still need to be finished or old ones never being changed or fixed at all.

1 Like

Well good sir, this thread is a good one.
You make good points and plenty can be discussed here in this thread.

1 Like

Thank you so much. I wasn’t expecting the thread to get so many comments and discussions, even if some people didn’t watch the video itself.

2 Likes