Gz AI update and improving the harvester

Generation zero ai should get an update and characteristics of machines either making them more aggressive making the player run from cover to get away from them or giving the machines some sort of ambush ability, making the machine smart would be nice and they could use tactics against the player making the player use strategies to combat the machines.

(Also maybe give the harvester the ability to fire homings that have mid to long range to combat fire-birds cause none of the FINX machines and have a chance of killing it without the player help)

1 Like

Hi,

May I ask how far you’ve already come in the game and on which difficulty you play?

I always played on skirmish and I don’t think it’s too easy. Otherwise I would never die.
The machines already use some tactics.

Machines with long ranged weapons stay behind and hide in the bushes, woods or next to structures and try to take you down from distance, while other machines directly approach the players and fight from medium to close range.

They try to surround you and single runners even try to run away to call in nearby reinforcements.

While swedish machines try to supress you to get into close combat, soviet machines strafe around you and try to get you out of your cover. But finally it’s mostly all about mass instead of quality.

They are superior machines that don’t even need to use tactics. They are many and they are stronger than a human and more agile than swedish tanks.

I agree that at least the rivals should get an update. There already are some topics with ideas of how to improve them. They could hunt the players actively over the map or at least through their regions, have some other or additional weapons or abilities and even could look slightly different with more armor, instead of just being stronger.

If you feel being too strong compared to the machines, it’s because of your used weapons and ammo and some of the updates that made it easier to get uranium for crafting experimental ammo and to get experimental weapons. By the way, the crafting made so much so much easier than in the past.

Nevertheless, nothing is perfect and there always is potential to improve something, but for that you have to get more into detail of what you’re thinking about.

Regarding the harvesters and firebirds, or swedish and soviet machines in general, there are some more problems. First of all keep in mind that the soviets came into the game as update two years ago, three years after release.
They weren’t planned from the beginning so they didn’t have a technical basement for a third faction. You can still see it when just watching fights between swedish and soviet machines. In most cases you’re detected and pulled into combat without having done anything. That’s because FNIX has detected an enemy and this triggers the combat state. It’s just because of the way it was programmed initially.

It then took some additional months for the firebirds being released. Founding on the same system, flying enemy machines (that fight against FNIX) initially never were planned. On the other hand, they even were introduced as a superior weapon against the swedish machines, as the soviets knew about this lack of anti air capabilities.

Finally I could now imagine a story expansion which could add a new developed machine for FNIX that is made to fill this gap. A hunter-sized, four legged aa-homing-missile-turret… Like our homing turrets, but larger and with four legs. Slow, without having own defensive abilities against ground units, but guarded by other machines.

They wouldn’t be a direct danger for us, but could be targets / objectives in missions to clear a location for getting some Nato-Support by air.

Keep in mind, GZ is about the resistance against the FNIX invasion, not about the war between FNIX and soviets. An aa-unit would just play a siderole like the soviets do, but even less prominent.

As alternative there could be hunters with newly invented homing aa-rocket launchers on their shoulder to take down flying enemies.

Both, the 4 legged aa-unit or the hunters with a shoulder-aa-rocket launcher, could be spawnable by harvesters, if they are in a fight with a firebird… Or they are there in the world to guard specific locations. But again, that’s not main priority of the game, but they could bring some potential for story missions or even additional procedual missions.

:+1:

The runners would be a good choice for AA rockets, since they already have them. And my runner with rockets already fires at the fire birds. It would be nice if it was more of a homing type rocket so it doesn’t miss so often.

1 Like

Imagine runners with homing rockets in base assaults or in fights against reapers…
No good idea.

A special rocket launcher on the shoulders of a certain type of hunters would be better to identify in my eyes.

But I see another problem.
Currently every weapon can be used against every target.

Unguided rockets as well as homing missiles of the homing turrets.

For this new purpose (AA) we would need rockets that just can be used against flying targets.
Additionally we would need a system, that these hunters don’t stand idle if their primary weapon was destroyed, because they try to use their secondary weapon (homing aa missiles) against players or other machines, but can’t… So they would have to switch to melee.

For a new machine as suggested, which just has a homing aa-rocket-launcher, it wouldn’t be a problem… It could get destroyed if disarmed… If the weapon even would be a seperate component.

1 Like

@Deadman Just to add that Hunters already flank you all the time.
The only issue is that they stay quiet without shooting for too many seconds

As its been said above, Rivals, now those require some upgrading, they are either too easy or are just bullet sponges, they should have a different A.I behaviour, more agressive and able to call more reinforcements.

The rest is Okay besides the Hunters staying sometimes quiet like they are waiting for mobile network coverage or something (I know internet or wifi were prototypes at the time its, a joke).

1 Like

hunters that looks like Arnold Swazanagor chasing me around the map, :dizzy_face: can open house doors and walk inside etc, Arnold driving a Flak-moped chasing me around the map

One small improvement that might be possible with the Harvesters, could be to split their missile pods in two. As it is currently, destroying/disabling one side of the missile pod structure knocks out the entire system. Not so with their gas system, concussion weapon, etc. If the missile pods currently on the Harvester could be taken from a one-piece system to a two-piece system, more like the Wolf’s separate pods, it would make disarming Harvesters a bit of a longer, more drawn-out process. During which, of course, they’d still have the other half of that weapon system presenting a threat…

1 Like