GZ Graphics settings

Motion Blur

I like to hear what graphics settings people choose for Generation Zero or more general for games. I read in a post just now that someone (Xbox) asked "where is the “Motion blur option”, and I wondered if they wanted that option to be able to turn it off. Because that’s what I generally do in games.

Is Motion Blur something you want on or off?

Motion blur gives me a headache. I usually try to get rid of it as soon as possible.

2 Likes

I never thought that with it off the visuals looked unrealistic, I never noticed blurred visuals when looking forward in real life either. It’s not for better performance why I turn it off, but because the visual performance never seemed better with it on. Most post-processing effects I set to off. But I will give it a real test where I focus on noticing improvement.

2 Likes

That’s good reason to turn it off.

2 Likes

I usually turn it off - there’s no motion blur in real life, and most of the time, it’s messing with my perception, causing motion sickness.

The guys from Digital Foundry made a video discussing the pros and cons of it and mention some valid usage scenarios. I agree about the logic behind it, but for me it’s depending on the implementation, which most of the time is a resounding miss.

1 Like

I totally don’t mind motion blur, if it’s done right.

Most of the games (usually action packed) overdo it.
In GZ it’s really good.

I think that different user experience might be related to framerates at which they play. At higher framerates motion blur in GZ is barely noticeable. At lower - well, it gets worse the lower your FPS is.

2 Likes

I thought I didn’t see any obvious difference.

1 Like

Hmm, that depends how it’s implemented. It’s implemented by number of frames then yes. If it’s time-based it shouldn’t make a difference.

I don’t think so. I feel it’s just a big smear of everything which really messes with my eyes. In GZ I got motion-sick within just a couple of minutes having it on. It was never that bad in any other game. But then in GZ I usually run around like a crazy chicken.

1 Like

Definitely Motion blur OFF whenever it is possible. For me it’s too distracting for the eye and I feel more like I’m kind of drunk or dizzy. So I like that artificial effect off in most games.

And we’re not talking of any relativistc speeds in GZ which might cause an Motion blur effect in real… :wink:

1 Like

Oh, come on. Get on a bicycle, speed up to 40 km/h and look down :wink:
There is nothing artificial about it.

2 Likes

Why would I ever look down? I (like normal people) look on my phone while flying a drone behind me to get that realistic third person feel, who would ever want to do first person biking?

2 Likes

I just disable Chromatic Aberration because I’m not a fan of lense effects. :sweat_smile:

Also, I prefer a variable ~40 fps with better graphics, and I think that the motion blur is quite useful for sub-60 fps gaming.

1 Like