Healer skill needs some work

Yesterday I tried my fresh Russian character (medic-demolitionist :crazy_face:) in multiplayer for the first time, and immediately I noticed a huge flaw of the HEALER skill.

I have no idea how much HP does a nearby player has and does he/she require healing.
A health-bar above player head , % number or a list of players with their health would be very helpful.
Even color change of the player tag would suffice - white for 100%, and gradually through yellow to red.

For example here is a screenshot from Dying Light:

4 Likes

That’s not a bad idea. I’m sure for the people who play with other people consistently, it would be far less confusing.

So I have a medic build for one of my characters and I play a lot in random lobby’s quite often, using medical ammo - health drop boxes and health bandages on players could really do with a health bar under there gamer tag would be really helpful as most players I come across don’t use mic’s in game and I have no indication what there health is at and so I just spam the heath kits at them. Adding a small heath bar on ppl sure would much appreciated. Thank you.

2 Likes

Great idea for this purpose.
Just two thoughts to this:

1. For the immersion I prefer a clear screen. Healthbars at the players names or somewhere else on the screen could disturb this feeling. It should be optional like you’re able to turn off the players online IDs and should just get available if you have these specific skills.

2. Communication is a thing that should definatly be used in a cooperative game. The one who don’t want to talk to each other in such a game isn’t worth the medikits.

@0L0 had the same idea a while back. I’m merging these two threads. I think it’s a good idea.

//Mod

3 Likes

There is a few of flaws in how Medic functions in Generation Zero:

• With the “Healer” skill you can heal others but only if your less then 0,5m from another player and they less then 100% health.
  • Having “Healer” doesn’t unlock the ability to see the health of the other Players.
  • Healing another player and yourself is the same Button press.
  • When another player is right in front of you, you will use the selected them instead of yourself.
  • Your unable to see what their health is, so you have no idea of which Medkit would be the most efficient to use.
  • While there is Paramedic pack on the picture for the “Healing amount” Skill
    the Healing from the Paramedic Pack you placed is not increased, by this skill.
  • The healing from Paramedic Packs is rather low per kilo.
  • I have not tested of experimental Medkits can be used to co-op players, nor if the healing power of “Medical First Aid Kit” is increased.

I have no idea if the “Heal amount” skill scales to the Medic ammo, or Experimental “First Aid Kit”, but i think it should.

Since I’ve started Playing Generation Zero, I’ve always been the Medic but i barely use medkits to heal others anymore as i don’t know if anyone is hurt nor how much and it just became tiresome
 <.<
However the Medic specialization is quite neat, with a resurrect of 100% hp (instead of 20 hp)
and you can quickly sprint to your friend(s) to get them back up in no time.
The few times I’ve respecced I’ve always re-taken the Medic specialization ^.~

New Mechanic Ideas:

I’ve played quite a’lot of Field Medic in Killing Floor & Killing Floor 2,
keeping the others alive and shooting when none were injured or i was out of Medi-Dart charge (I also played on the highest difficulties: Survival and Hell on Earth)
In Killing Floor Medical Weapons were: Pistol, SMG, Assault Rifle, Shotgun, and Other ranged weapons
all came with Medi-Dart launchers, which were fired by “alt-fire” and healed your co-op players when you hit them with the Medi-Darts
(Your grenades were Blue smoke bombs, which healed friendlies and poisoned enemies)

While Generation Zero don’t have Weapon Under-barrel attachments such as Grenada launchers for Automatgevér 4 & 5, AI-76 and N-16 (Assault rifles)
or Bipods for LMGs (Kvm 59 & 89 and N-60)
But if we had such Medi-Dart launchers they could be attached to SMGs and Assault Rifles and Shotguns?.
(and requiring the “Medic” Speciation active to operate)

Changes that will make Medic-gameplay feel better in Generation Zero:

First i think making Healing ability from the “Healer” skill to use another button to heal the player in front of you, like the Scope-key instead of using the same button for both.
(as that was what i tried the first time i Tried to heal my friend)
and increase it’s range to 2m (2/3 of the range of the Pitchfork for reference ^.~)

The Healing bonus from the “Healing Amount” Skill should also apply to
Healing Ammo, Healing Darts* and Paramedic Packs.

Increase the Base healing from Paramedic Packs, as the healing vs kilo weight is rather low:
Paramedic Packs: 20 x3 = 60
Simple Medkit: 25 x20 = 500
Standard Medkit: 50 x10 = 500
Advanced Medkit: 75 x5 = 375
with a better healing the cooldown can be a’bit longer.
But the cooldown should be on the player rather then the Box, this way multiple (up to 3) people can use the same Paramedic pack at the same time ^.~

UI options for Health Bars or numbers under other player names in the Game options

• Options the Health shown to either be health bars or Numbers (either percentage or “current” / “Max actual Health: 100-130”)
  • An option to have Player names with HealthBars or Numbers in the left side of the screen (as the right side is for the Mission objective and top is for the compas)
  • An option for floating healing numbers show when healing others, via Medkits or Medical Ammo or Medi-Darts*

Also a short guide that mention these UI options in a Tutorial window when the “Healer” skill have been taken ^.~

Could have a health bar/percent under the player’s name that is easy to see at all times.

1 Like

Any idea for how it could work for those with deactivated online id?

My mate and me just play this way. Sometimes in or after battles we have difficulties to find each other, but it feels better in total.

Well, there could be small healthbars with names somewhere at the edge of the screen.
But they don’t show who is who and where.
Maybe in case of need for healing (less than 50% or 30%) there could be an additional marker which isn’t there the other time.

For healing others there could be the action key if you’re close to them. Like if you would loot something, but forced to hold instead of just press E or square or whatever on xbox.

I guess “Deactivated Online Id” is a Console thing? i don’t recall seeing such on PC/Steam

I suppose they either could be Labeled as Anonyms or Guest (with a number if there is more then 2 with No-ID)
But if there is no indicator for them they can’t blame the healer if they are not healed.

Like a floating icon that would appear at the corner of your screen if a person (off screen) is on Low Health while you have the “Healer” skill toward their direction , Probably on their nameplate too when they are on screen?
like when a co-op player is on fire or is poisoned.

E is already used for Non-equitable actions such as “Give Adrenaline shot” and “Revive”
where you either Press E to revive a player if you have Adrenaline shots on you or Hold E to revive them if you don’t.

If you have the Healer skill you can Simply use “Left Mouse Button”/“Right Trigger” with the Medkit your holding.
I’m hopping it could be reworked to be “Right Mouse Button”/“Left Trigger” instead to heal other players with the Medkit your holding
rather then the same Button for yourself and them if your close to them
 <.<

1 Like

While I understand how the medic class is beneficial in other games, it seems useless in GZ outside of perhaps a roleplay situation. Most of the time it’s almost as simple as you’re either alive or on the ground wondering if someone got the plate number of that semi that just pancaked you. Other than just simply spamming medic rounds, I can’t see another possible avenue that would really improve that ‘class’. Though, having that UI upgrade would perhaps make people a little more observant of the collateral they are inflicting. Or it might have the exact opposite effect, got to love those kids and their bloody exploding gas cans

I’ll agree on that part that you can’t really take a’lot of damage thrown at you unless your affected by “Medical First Aid Kits”
But your meant to avoid most of the damage send your direction or at least the best to your abilities, which damage reduction and movement speed can help with ^.~

Sadly the Experimental Medical Ammo types is a bit limited
(.32 ACP, .271, .50 BMG, 12ga Slug)
as it is only Long/Far, Short and Melee range ammo available.
No option for 7,62 which can be used in many Medium/Semi-Long range weapons nor is .44 for the .44 Magnus. (which probably would be my choice for “Healer Gun”)

I did some testing with the Experimental Medkits with my friend:

• Medical First Aid Kit
    When i used it on my friend i got the speed reduction
    while she got the healing

• Radioactive First Aid Kit
    When i used it on my friend i got the Radiation DOT
    while she got the Stamina boost

I expected them not to work on other players due to the dot and snare they apply, but you can you just get the downsides when you use them to give them the benefit.

Now if they just applied a Buff icon on a player buffed by them so you/yourself/they know when it’s run out
That would give them more value when they are used ^-^

Also since the “Affection” icon is round is it possible that the icons border could also serve as a Duration bar for Fire, Radiation, Slowed, Poisoned
and positive things like: Simple healing, Standard healing, Advanced healing and “Uber healing”, “Energized” (Stamina)
Just like when your knocked down and have the have “Revivable” icon while your Revivable or a Adrenaline Shot can be used you, like that.

Possible toggle-able option in Game, as to some this can be information overflow to those that don’t want such info ^.~