Honest Generation Zero Review (From Experienced Player)

Having followed this game since May 2020, having defended this game for around 1 and a half years (im sure some Friends can even say i defended this game far too much on Discord + Reddit) and spent over 1.5k combined hours (Steam + PS4), its become increasingly difficult to defend the game due to a variety of reasons.

Reason 1 - The constant release of Micro DLC. Yes its fine a game releases some micro DLC every once in a while, maybe like once every 6 months, but when its almost every update for a full year; it starts to become annoying as the very stuff put into the packs, especially the Bikes, Camos and Tactical Equipment, can easily be part of the base game instead of an overcharged price. I was lucky enough to receive keys for most DLCs last year, and even then most were just not worth the price they were asking for (The Tac Equipment being my prime example here, only 1 item was worth using out of the 5), but have paid for US pack 1, Soviet Weapons and European Weapons, all of which i now regret purchasing since it has fuelled the fire for more Micro DLC.

Reason 2 - Bugs that seem to either get marked as low priority or are flat out ignored take far too long to get fixed. Some of the best examples to this would the Homeward Bound Challenge which is getting fixed in Patch #26. This challenge has been broken since Feb last year, it was only working for 9 months compared to 1 year and 3 months it spent broken. This was commonly reported every single month since it got broken, and is now just getting fixed.

Reason 3 - The AI of the machines has decreased in quality severely. When i started playing, sure the machines were broken as a result of a bug but instead of trying to find a nice middle ground to where its part challenging and part fun, they went for the complete nerf to the AI to the point where they mostly get stuck in loops of walking in circles, refusing to fire some times and most of the time refusing to use their melee. All of this was not present when i started, they could have even made it a great difficulty with the right tweaking to the AI.

Reason 4 - Community requested Items getting locked behind DLC (Ties into Reason 1). For quite a lot of the Micro DLC that has been released over the past 2 years, there has been an increase in community items getting locked behind a paywall. A fantastic example is the Resistance Weapons Pack, the Bow and Flamethrower were they most requested weapons from the community which they decided on locking behind a paywall, and even then these weapons were still just not good as damage was too low and get immediately overshadowed by way better weapons like the EXP weapons and even most other 5c or 5* weapons.

Reason 5 - Far too many Control Points added. This would be a good addition had it been done way better such as just adding 1 to a few regions instead of the average of 6 in the regions. This is even despite community feedback after it was revealed Farmlands got 12 Control Points pretty much deleting a lot of machine spawns there, yet another 7 got added to the South Coast. I would love if this got revised and most Control Points got removed so that there is actually machine spawns in the Farmlands, Forest and South Coast Regions.

Reason 6 - The way Micro DLC has been handled for newer players. Rather than unlocking all the Micro DLC contents after a specific point in the game, newer players are just allowed to have them the moment they reach the very first Storage box making the game a quick breeze through on top of the already terrible AI.

Reason 7 - Multiplayer Progression. MP has to be the biggest selling point to many people for this game, yet they managed to screw it up royally. Back before June 2022’s update, everyone got XP at the same time for missions allowing for fair levelling up. However, post that update the game pretty much rolls a die into whether or not the clients in another world will get XP for the mission thus creating an uneven levelling system despite most people wanting to level up at the same time.

Reason 8 - Story went from making little to now zero sense. Before the same update that wrecked the MP progression system, the tutorial of the game taught you the basics as to be expected from every game. The story made some sense and still linked together all throughout. However the same update had reworked the tutorial which is fine since it taught some basics to crafting understandably. But the problem is, they also reworked the story to only this part and, to my knowledge, have zero intentions on reworking the rest so its leads to a second story going on, this doesnt even in include the Soviet story they decided to also write into this, which takes place after FNIX Rising which should be endgame content only. Instead a new player could be easily going through the second region and fighting machines they should not be allowed to see until after the end of base game at least, along with missions that will make absolutely no sense since, obviously, they havent done FNIX Rising where they pick up from.

Reason 9 - Machines going invisible for Hosts. Before May 2023 update, sometimes machines would go invisible for the host player or the client player. Post the update, there has been a massive increase in this issue for host players especially.

Reason 10 - Bluescreens and hard console resets. Post 2023 May update, there is now a sever case for some people where they will have a hard crash resulting in a Bluescreen on the PC itself or for console players, forcing you to force restart the entire console (This comes from users on the forums).

Reason 11 - Roadmap Situations (This one could get overlooked tbf). For all of 2022, rather than have a solid all year roadmap, they instead decided on the weird do one every few months instead (I understand updating it to include what was added in a patch, but not constantly changing it as at that point, dont make a roadmap) From Nov 2022 to April 2023, it was always stated to be being worked on and nearly completed as of April. Last dev stream it was mentioned that they would finally get to working on the roadmap after Patch #26 drops, this implies that it had not been worked on whatsoever, or at least to me it does with how it was stated. Then the dev letter drops the same day saying that its nearly completed so its impossible to actually tell if there was a roadmap ever worked on.

All in All, i would love to recommend this game as it was a great game to me and i had plenty of faith they could make this game a fantastic one for a while but ive just been witnessing its downfall instead and can no longer recommend it. So far ive only found it enjoyable to be playing older versions than the current version as a result of what has been going on with the game.

Copy pasted my Steam Review.

16 Likes

This one is more of an honest review.
The part about crashes and micro dlc is specially more problematic and quite relevant specially after another messy update.

5 Likes

Yeah, I agree. A lot more thought has been put into this one. It may be negative, but if those are the experiences of the reviewer over the years as a summary for how the game is now, then it’s honest.

I always read both positive and negative reviews of games, as it helps to form a better understanding of how a game is. After that, it’s up to you to decide.

3 Likes

I changed my review to reflect my thoughts on this game. The combo of DLC spam, issues with bugs, and other things.

At this point they realy do not deserve any of our attention or money for packs until they can handle the game.

5 Likes

If they don’t deserve any of our attention, what’s the point of posting feedback?

2 Likes

Edit: put quote in.

The goal is to have as many people leave the game, or/and not playing, not buying. This is no honest feedback, because it has an alternative motive and that is to kill the game, not to make it better.

2 Likes

I disagree here I’m afraid, I think we’ve both been here long enough to know that @Indominus-J has been around a long time and was easily one of the most active / constructive forum members for a good while. (I don’t know if you use Reddit but they were a huge supporter and could frequently be found helping out over there, particularly to new players.) I felt that they, like yourself, were (& are) a real ambassador / example of the GZ community.

The way I read it, their feedback is nothing but honest, brutally so, but they provide evidence to support why they believe their criticism to be valid. This is the very definition of review / feedback.

It’s all subjective though, if you don’t agree with it (I’m not saying I agree or not) that’s fine, no-one is right or wrong here, but after 1,000s of hours in the game and supporting it as loudly as they have I can’t believe that this criticism comes from a position of wanting to do the game harm, more likely just the opposite.

3 Likes

@OBiW4NSHiNOBi, I wasn’t referring to Indominus-J, but to the poster where Zesiir was reacting on the poster who is actively trying to hurt the game studio by writing bad reviews and calling out for boycotts.

I know that Indominus-J was a great supporter, but he too is now giving negative reviews for a game that he loved, supposedly to get the devs to get back in the game. But he made a 180, from supporting the game to hating it.
However, I believe that threats, bad reviews, or boycotts will only lead to demotivation of the dev team. I don’t know what is going on there, but I believe that the devs are very unlucky with getting the game right, using the Apex engine, and that they deserve a supportive community, not vile attacks.

Imagine you were to treat your kid like this when they tried their best with a task, but it still went wrong. Would you send a bad review to all his friends, shaming him, and tell them they shouldn’t want to know him, to force him to do better. Or would you give him ideas to improve, and build up his confidence that he can do it?

Not talking about Indominus-J’s review here… but about the other posts where people were asked not to buy the new DLC, like this one and this one

IMO, It is never OK to resort to bullying tactics to get what they want. If I don’t like a game, I never would write a bad review out of spite, because I think it’s a pretty weak and lame-ass thing to do, especially when you do it to a game you always loved.

3 Likes

I am really sorry you can not understand how this works but I’ll explain it for you. If you cannot understand after reading this, then it really is not my problem.

This was a quote of the post you linked. This is a simple phrase.

Less people buying DLC = less profit = management takes notices = management realizes people actually want stuff fixed and not more DLC piled onto a half broken game.

This line of thinking also works with our attention on the game. If they wanted to do this through just pure feedback and not in this money driven way, they would have made different decisions. We have given them countless ideas and chances to improve, they took some, left a lot. It is nobody’s job to financially (or otherwise), support a game that makes releases like this month after month.

Keep coping with that idea.

7 Likes

I understand it all to well. These bullying tactics are only going to create resentment towards the ones who are doing it, and in the worst case the game is going to end, because there is no budget, no player base and no motivation to keep going.

You hate the game, stop stalking!

2 Likes

What is my blud waffling about.

look liked I said, not my problem you do not understand how the free market works.

If they run out of budget because people do not buy into their dlc spam, then they made poor decisions.

I will not debate someone who cannot understand how this works, or who devedefends on every aspect.

6 Likes

If I made a game I would certainly not let my decisions be influenced by a person whose only debate skill is bullying and doing the studio harm.

Bugs and other things going wrong is never something that is intended, so bullying or boycotting won’t help there in any way. Good feedback with a positive attitude can help the devs fix things, and keeping their spirits up.

This new DLC is great fun the best so far. People who like the game will want to experience this, for the price of a cup of coffee with piece of pie. :+1:

4 Likes

Me telling other that not buying the DLC is a way to strongly encourage the change they want see is NOT bullying. In what way is me choosing to not give them my money a form of bullying? In what way is me telling others what will happen if they do the same a form of bullying?

I am sorry to tell you this, but boycotting is not some evil thing. It is just the act of not particpating in something. Anybody who think such action makes you a bad person holds an opinion so horrendeously bad, they do not deserve any consideration. It is not anybody’s job to give them any of their own money.

Did that for years, did not work.

If boycotting does not work then that is the fault of Systemic Reaction and not those refusing to buy their DLC. If they decide they’d rather lose money than fix their QA, that is their own fault. If the only way to fix the game is to give them even more money, than their system is broken.

I get how you guys think. Any form of negativity = attacking the devs.

Come back with something useful to say instead of

“not giving money = bullying”

6 Likes

You’re not sorry.

This a game, a trivial thing in our lives. There is no need for bullying tactics for trivial matters, just give up on the game and move on. Or if you personally want to boycott, because you think that will guarantee change, go ahead. I believe that positive attitude and feedback also can bring change, so I follow that path, thank you.

2 Likes

Okay this is just stupid. You have yet to explain how me not giving them money is “bullying”
I guess just insulting others with differing opinions is easier than coming up with an intelligent sentence.

You are right on one thing. This is a waste of my time. I have better things to do than to talk to people who hide in their echo chambers and insult others when they do not buy a DLC pack for a game.

4 Likes

Nonsense, I never said that I want you to buy the dlc, in fact I rather you do not.

Forcing a company to do your will, by rallying others to also boycott the DLC, is a bullying tactic.
That you feel that this is an insulting statement means you know it’s wrong thing to do.

And please don’t whimper over presumed insults, while you constantly do it yourself to me.

1 Like

Alright, time out guys. Let’s stop the flaming and agree to disagree.

@MarkNcheese42 You’ve every right to dislike and disapprove of the game’s current development,
but don’t hammer it in so hard you break the nail in the process. It just gets tiresome.

And it’s a grand waste of my time. So unless you’ve got anything constructive to say in the future, I’d suggest moving on to other pastures.

//Mod

6 Likes

Reason 6 - The way Micro DLC has been handled for newer players. Rather than unlocking all the Micro DLC contents after a specific point in the game, newer players are just allowed to have them the moment they reach the very first Storage box making the game a quick breeze through on top of the already terrible AI.

Why do you care how others want to play… As a new player i would have uninstalled if it wasn’t for these dlcs… The game is super hard for me even on Adventure so these dlcs actually helped me from the start to progress… and survive.

Please do not speak for others about what you consider added or not. I have no interest in coop gameplay i enjoy my gaming solo.

2 Likes

The whole reason its there is because its an opinion, the exact reason Reviews get wrote. Its because its the players opinion, and its my opinion that DLC stuff should get handled differently than the current way theyve implemented them.

9 Likes

The devs would be crazy to scare away solo players, if they change, who and when a dlc can be used. Because, like you said, some of the DLCs makes surviving for Solo players less hard.

1 Like