Honest Generation Zero Review (From Experienced Player)

Reason 6 - The way Micro DLC has been handled for newer players. Rather than unlocking all the Micro DLC contents after a specific point in the game, newer players are just allowed to have them the moment they reach the very first Storage box making the game a quick breeze through on top of the already terrible AI.

Why do you care how others want to play… As a new player i would have uninstalled if it wasn’t for these dlcs… The game is super hard for me even on Adventure so these dlcs actually helped me from the start to progress… and survive.

Please do not speak for others about what you consider added or not. I have no interest in coop gameplay i enjoy my gaming solo.

2 Likes

The whole reason its there is because its an opinion, the exact reason Reviews get wrote. Its because its the players opinion, and its my opinion that DLC stuff should get handled differently than the current way theyve implemented them.

9 Likes

The devs would be crazy to scare away solo players, if they change, who and when a dlc can be used. Because, like you said, some of the DLCs makes surviving for Solo players less hard.

1 Like

I really feel like rambling tonight, so forgive my ramblings, this might not all be directly related to the OP.

First off, I do agree with some of your points, I would like control points to be more precious, I do not like the current AI because it is exploitable and I also dropped some neg reviews on DLC packs because their contents weren’t great, especially how bad the flamethrower and bow are, zog the resistance pack, and zog DMRs.

Half of this review laments the fact how DLC exists or is implemented, but the truth is that of course they will make weapon everyone wants a DLC because it came together in live development and the base game is in a playable and finished state. Not every game booms as much as e.g. Deep Rock and devs can live off supporter cosmetic packs. Making “I don’t get what I want for free” a negative point is a bit preposterous and also a bit parodic of what most gamers think they are entitled to. DLC implementation is another story: It’s fine to not agree with DLC items being available off the bat, but believe me you’d see more negative reviews of people who buy the packs and seeing them not available the moment they bought them. 5* Weapons and attachments still have to be farmed for.

About multiplayer progression, I haven’t personally experienced this bug, but bugs in general need to be fixed, that absolutely needs to be said. Desyncs or disappearing enemies did sometimes plague this game but you also need to understand that you cannot fix bugs instead of making DLC because what the heck can an artist or a sound designer do about AI issues. The team has a certain amount of programmers, designers, producers to manage them all etc. and all always will need to be busy at the same time, so the dev schedule needs to account for that. Without the DLC they so far released the game would have very likely been shut down already and the live team assigned to other resources.

With 1,5k hours in a game that is designed to maybe be played for 200, maybe the game is not the problem? All the gamedevs I know always joke about these reviews with hundreds of hours and a negative score, because on the one hand you handed the game your two most valuable commodities, time and money, and on the other you are trying to tell people to not do that because you must have had a terrible time if you spent 1,5k hours in it. Most of your reasons seem to be purely political rather than problems with the actual game, no roadmap? So you don’t know what content will get thrown our way and that makes you enjoy the current product less? You’re not a cultist, you don’t need to pledge your life and honour to GenZ or defend it.

It’s a product, use it like one.

2 Likes

… Assuming every new player starts playing solo with all or some of the DLCs.

I don’t think that’s the case.

Usually you would start a new game vanilla and buy DLCs if you like the game. Excluded from this rule are those who bought whole packages because of a discount… Or those who got a steam key for a DLC for free.

No, I think it just has to be communicated in a sensible way… And the system behind the DLC weapons would have to be water proof.

Finally I think the child already fell into the well.
It’s probably too late to change the existing system, unless the devs find a good way to manage the existing customers. Changing something that might affect them and their bought products in a “negative” way always isn’t a good idea, so there would have to be a counter weight. Maybe a switch to select whether to start with the classic way of DLC provisioning or a new way with a better integration.

New customers aren’t such a big problem, I think. It just have to be communicated clear and honest how they get their DLC guns. (By buying this weapon pack you become able to find a greater arsenal of weapons while fighting your way through the mysteries of Östertörn, as simple example)

Although it probably is too late to change it, I’ll stay at my opinion about the weapon packs and I’ll always keep on advertising my ideas.

P. S.: this opinion refers to every DLC pack that adds something that has an endouring/unlimited effect. (don’t find better words)
The tactical equipment packs and the basebuilding packs are excluded as these items are available later (unlocking base building, unlocking crafting, unlocking schematics) in the game. The initially provided amount really is just like a preview: once depleted, you have to wait until you become able to craft and use more of them. (not in loot tables included)

1 Like

I actually love the bow tbh.

Maybe my accuracy is good but i kill most stuff with my DLC bow, Flares suck so i hardly use them on my bow but the arrows are accurate for me to take out dog things and ticks and with exploding arrows i take out hunters, yes i’m on Adventure, while i use my bow i gather other ammo for later game i have like 2000 smg 9mm and 2000 7.62 at the moment.

Bow is pretty awesome i even took out a giant rival thing with explosive arrows and three machine gun turrets.

1 Like

It’s a flair weapon in the end. I was just disappointed by the performance and handling of the weapons, mostly because any other explosive weapon performs better than the bows explosive arrows and any other precision weapon performs better than the normal arrows. If you’re having fun that is cool and play the game as you like. For me performance of these items does play a role and I want to have a real reason to use them.

The bow doesn’t really shine there and just feels like it has no niche, and the versatility it offers isn’t one either as weapon weights are so low and inventory capacity is so high.

Same goes for the flamethrower, comically short range paired with lower damage than shotguns made me find myself frustrated with it. It literally has less range than the mini-flamethrowers our enemies are using.

1 Like

I like how i can carry so many explosive arrows and my weight is pretty good compared to the RPG and the rocket launchers personally, the bow is slightly weaker but still nice.

For me its a wonderful weapon at the start.

I think you’re right its niche but i like it a lot.

1 Like

I can’t agree.
I like it best in a battle where I’m surrounded by hunters. It’s my tick-toaster.

1 Like

It’s wonderful the read these last few posts. It’s a showcase of how many different preferences people can have. :coffee:
That’s why I don’t trust bad reviews, because they do not always include the pros of the game.
So I never trust bad reviews to guide me, I look at how many people liked the game.

@PocketYoda, I liked the bow with the explosive arrows too, but now I am really thrilled with the Homing Turret, which is truly a big help in fights. Only thing that I have to take care of is, that it doesn’t kill my Rivals unwillingly.

In the end I’m not very critical on weapon DLC content, because the devs need to make so that many people will find something that they like, while not making them better then main game weapons. For instance, I liked the Kotenok using Shock ammo, even though it wasn’t liked by many others. I liked it because it was new, and nice to try out.

And ticks @Madchaser, I always shoot with my Kpist (Party Pop Dark equipped), which is the weapon I use most. I think, dodging them while shooting or shooting them mid jump is very satisfying. :wink:

And without real new content, I stopped using fast travel in normal gameplay and trying to keep my carry weight below 50, and I only use ammo I can loot to keep it interesting, because at almost 4K hours I have every weapon type, all collectable items, basically done everything. That’s why a new DLC is always very welcome, and the latest equipment one is the best of that type so far.

3 Likes

I just throw an EMP at the ground which insta-kills all ticks.

1 Like

LOL… when you start using the SMG ammo you may find you need to carry 2000 rounds of each ammo type and then almost the same for the 7.62 when you start using the LMG weapons. And keep a healthy supply of both in your storage locker when you wonder into areas of the map the 9MM and 7.62 are not to common to loot and your carry supply gets lower.

11 posts were merged into an existing topic: That old April update

i can garuante that new control points makes less enemies that it just feels more empty.
it feels like that i want to go back in old times using stealth mechanics more often. it does feel weird that most updates was onoticed removed something that we often do.

3 Likes

I used my 5 homing turrets but i cannot make anymore, aluminum is high level for me.

Yeah, it’s not a common resource. Easiest way for you to get that, is to recycle 3c weapons and higher you find and don’t need. Then you don’t have engage the tougher machines before you have the good guns.

1 Like

Aluminum is very common for me but I don’t use that much either.
Remember what you find where. Notice you find a lot of, say, 5.56 AP rounds on all the runners you just destroyed and the hunters have 7.62 AP rounds. What area of what region was that in? Check your landmarks. They also yield the same resources in that area and those same resources come back after the region cycles. Maybe not the same amounts and same places but overall the same resources are there. Remember it is RNG but the map has its favorites.

1 Like

I’ve had to craft all my 5.56 i only get 7.62 and 32cp etc…

really well said, sadly i can relate to all of this. ive been playing pretty much weekly if not more since day one and it feels like a different game these days. and to think of what the story must be like for people who havent been playing since launch, keeps me up at night.

1 Like

Couldn’t have said it better. As much as I love this game, the community surrounding it, and my personal experiences with members of the studio, I do find much of this to be a fair criticism. I understand that working on something of this scale isn’t easy, by any measurement, this game has a laundry list of both bugs and balancing issues.

In Reason 8, I found that the author has a great point when he/she says:

It is unfortunate that the soviet machines are thrown into the mix from the start. What would have been cool is if the game started off at level 1 just like the game launched. Very quiet, a bit tense, and as the story progressed, the machine population evolved from the initial prototype class everywhere, to military and fnix being more and more common and replacing the prototype machines, with the occasional fuster cluck of running into a very angry and nasty apocalypse class.

Though, I do understand the scale of difference in difficulty of what I’m comparing. As I’ve said with a few of my posts, it’s easy for me to arm chair criticize, but it is far harder to do. That being said, the game has the same feeling as though we’d suddenly realized our home had turned into a horder den. Personally, this looks like it may require a complete overhaul to bring everything that has been added into the game without it feeling and preforming like a Bethesda product.

3 Likes