How to make a New Game (full reset)

I play on Steam with my kids. We are going through the game together. We have not played in a while, and have not really been pursuing the goals, more just hunting and gathering.

We would like to do a total hard reset on the whole game. Wipe our date entirely. I have followed the “go offline, delete local date, start new game, go back online, select local files” deal.

The problem is the plunderbox is still chock full, and other things are done, like beacons. How do you do a total start-from-new game?

How are you with Steam cloud sync? Odds are that’s putting something back.

I overwrite the cloud data with the local data that has been deleted. It wipes most things out, but not the plunderbox, and some other random things.

I’m sure those bits of data are stored in the save file along with everything else. Disabling steam sync isn’t the same as going offline, and usually when someone faces your issue it’s the cloud sync that’s interfering. If you haven’t already, disable the sync, wipe the saves, start up and get a game going, then try letting sync catch up.
If that won’t do it you might consider an exorcism.

1 Like

Can’t one just rename the save file? Doesn’t that do it? If you cut your wifi and pressed the Steam button: “start in offline mode”, you’d be back to the start, wouldn’t you?

Edited Response: It is easier than I thought.

This seems to be working now, but it did not before. Here is what to do:

1. In Steam select “Go Offline”.
  2. Delete all the files in C:\Users{your computer name}\Documents\Avalanche Studios\GenerationZero
  3. Delete all the files in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata
  4. Start a new game then exit it.
  5. In Steam select “Go Online”.
  6. Start the game. You will get a choice to overwrite the cloud files with the local files. Select that.
  7. Play your brand new game as usual.

This did not always work, but it seems to be now. Tried is a couple times and it worked reliably.

1 Like

FYI on the last post. We did this on three computers (exact same procedure) and it only worked on two of them. One still had a full plunderbox.

I just got the game a few days ago. The day the Jan update came out.
With new games, especially stealth games, I like to play for about ten to fifteen minutes to get familiar with the controls and with environmental factors like, if swimming is possible, is there fall damage, etc. Then I’ll start a new game. I thought creating a new character meant a new game, but no.

I’ve looked on the web and in the forum. What I’ve determined from the info I’ve found, to start a new game, you have to uninstall the game itself and reinstall?

Is this the only option? And will this put it back like just out of the box…all locations not found, all loot boxes filled again?

I’ve tried going offline, then deleting the save file for my profile. Xbox won’t let me start the game offline. Says it needs internet connection to start. When I started back up, my character was still there, I’m assuming from the cloud save.

If I delete my save file and the cloud save would that work? Put everything back at the beginning?

Thanks for the help!

You can only reset your progress if you delete all your characters and restart the game. Items in the Plundra will be saved, but everything else will reset.

Thank you, that worked!

1 Like

Is there a game + for when you finish the story? A replay of the story with your character? I mean once you finished the story & DLC that can’t be it. Can it?

Xbox1x

If there is then how please

Currently, there’s no New Game+. The main story is not the end of the game, you can roam the island(s) freely and explore, level etc.

1 Like

Thank you for the answer.

One of my biggest issues with the game is that you can only have 1 main world, meaning if you want to do missions over again you have to completely reset your progress. My question is, can you play on a different PlayStation account on the same PlayStation have 2 different save files?

@Mrshneeblie I don´t think so, look, get or buy 2 flash drives,save your main save on one, then delete your character save data and begin fresh save, save that new saved game to the empty flash drive , to prevent confusions i suggest using post-its.
Whenever you want to change game “world” just save the current world and change to the other one, that is what i´ve done in games like Just cause, Mad Max, Metro,Far Cry 3/4 and New dawn, games where there is no new game plus option and the game becomes empty of enemies or enemy installations and outposts after completion.

Merged every topic where people ask and share how to make a New Game in current game state + corrected topic title.

//Mod

Yes i did it.
Its like a new perrson

there are 4 world’s to do missions again, :dizzy_face:, I already 100% weapons, collectibles, some watching utube videos to find all weapons 0/8 etc etc etc, I like the missions, but not doing 0/8 thing again, why would you wanna do that again, just open a new world :slightly_smiling_face: missions are there again

The topic is from a time where there just was one world.

@Zesiir wanna close it?