Idea: Car alarms

coming here to post by the suggestion from a comment from one of my reddit posts.

one of the ideas i had to add into the game would be cars with car alarms. u could upgrade the tech tree to be able to identify these cars, and possibly use an EMP, well aimed shot (car battery?) or something to disable them.

just one of the ideas i have had while playing :slight_smile:

6 Likes

This is an awesome idea! Really hope they implement it.

Car alarms where not that general in 80’s.
But still good idea, and sake of the game should be allowed. Just random cars. Like every game session car entities are randomised. So alarm wont be in the same car always.

It’s a pretty cool idea, you’d have to consider risking looting a car vs. the alarm going off attracting enemies.

The game is set in 1989, so more cars had car alarms, but some still did not. So as people have said, this is an okay idea.

Edit: Apparently plenty of cars in the 80’s had car alarms, but more so cars that were manufactured in Europe. So this idea would make complete sense.

Pretty please :slight_smile:

How about adding low random chances 5-10%'ish of looting a car that triggers a car alarm to sound off with the effect of a medium lure?

It would add the extra element of do I loot this atm if knowing machines are around at the particular time

2 Likes

Any car with an active alarm could have a discrete red blinking light in the dashboard, to allow for players who are careful to spot it.

That’s pretty reasonable, but I would like it to be pretty discrete as in you actually have to look for it to notice it.
Maybe even then as well, have a lower chance again of a vehicle that doesn’t have the light. could be deemed a system that didn’t have a light or the light itself deemed “faulty”

Grew up in the 80s don’t know of a single person that had a car alarm back then

1 Like

Cant remember machines running around either :slight_smile:
I was mainly just thinking for the extra random events

I actually really like this idea. Simple. Easy heck it wouldn’t even be that hard to implement this is pretty solid if you ask me.

I remember one. But, yeah, they were certainly a rarity. Car alarms didn’t start to become common features until the mid-90s, (at least in The States.)

Neat idea, though, i’m thinking if it fits the setting.

Somehow, all cars and trucks are made inoperable despite they looking seemingly fine. Only one thing can do that and it’s powerful enough EMP. Latter fries any electronics and since car alarm is also part of the car’s electrical system, it wouldn’t work either.

Another small idea would be locked car doors where you need lockpicking skill and lockpicks to open the car doors and trunk. Not all cars would be locked but only some of those that are parked in front of the house or in parking lots.