Ideas about adding some Narrative to the game?

Ah, I have asked that question long ago as well. In the lore we find nothing really. It’s most likely on one of the other islands. I don’t think the devs had plans to include the Mainland.

Using Google translate isn’t the best, however it might give a clue. We need native Swedish speakers who can maybe better translate Fårösund.

Anyway, Får-ö-sund(et) could translate to Sheep Island Strait
We have a Får-udden on our map which translates to Sheep headland or Sheep cape
Perhaps one of the Islands is Sheep Island.

Karlshamn - Karl’s harbour
Boden - The shed

maybe tv-shows will made about the game one day explains some of that

As for Makarova and Bolshakov, I don’t think them being pawns is merely an idea. We know that they, and many others with them in Ostertorn, are part of the Gold Faction…and we also know that other elements of the Golden Faction are still in Russia.

Those other elements would undoubtedly be members within military and government positions there, with some of them making up the “brains” of the overall operation. We know that Makarova and Bolshakov are not the top of the command structure, because the top elements are needed elsewhere…to secure the Firebirds, to provide more support for the operation in Ostertorn, and to await the operation’s success to take advantage of the gains later…which I doubt is going to happen, as we should be doing everything we can to stop it.

I think it is too early to say what goals the Golden Faction might have, beyond seizing control of the Soviet Union. It is likely that they would eventually wish to expand their borders, as most powers would like to do one way or another. They may very well see Sweden as a weakened power that would be easy to move against, after the whole machine uprising.

( Like Putin, currently, wanting to assert dominance over a wider area, re-establish borders and buffer states… )

In my opinion, “Kenneth” being present simultaneously in both the Ringfort and Averholm is likely just a mistake by the devs, just some small detail they forgot or overlooked. Or, like some other elements of the game, they just didn’t expect the player(s) to be aware that he “exists, simultaneously” in both places at once. Like being able to see the Reaper in Bergfinken disappear, rather than the elevator it is standing on going down and then coming back up.

I figure that the players are not expected to occupy two (or more) places at once—the elevator area in Bergfinken and the Bergfinken Warboard Room, or both the Ringfort and Averholm Orchard. We’re expected to stick together, to move together, to work together, when we’re playing together—not to try and break the game or immersion by trying to observe things we shouldn’t be able to observe. Likewise, we aren’t supposed to be aware of invisible walls between islands, because we aren’t supposed to be trying to go to other islands—or, worse, to the mainland, to see the “end of the world”… (The Langoliers, the Langoliers…!)

The devs could have handled the situation in Bergfinken better—“all players must be present in the Warboard room, to progress the mission, for the Reaper to ‘leave’…” Likewise, they probably were supposed to have removed Kenneth from the Ringfort at some point as well. Just as they did with Veronika, it seems, though we have no idea where she has gone to? Thought she should ahve shown up at Bjorntunet, to meet up with Elsa, but nope, not yet?

But, yeah, it is also a possibility that these “Kenneths” are indeed entirely different people. I don’t think that is the case, but I could always be wrong.

Holberg has a habit of not just doing snus, but of also moving around a LOT and leaving messages on Bjorntunet brochures all over the place. He’s been all over the islands, not just on Himfjall. Fredrik in the Ringfort does not just have snus tins, but also Bjorntunet brochures. That isn’t enough for 100% confirmation, sure, but I still strongly suspect that he is Holberg, FH, VU’s boss/contact at RO, “the guy.”

Part of my suspicion is also based on his facial hair, his beard. You see it all the time, hear about it, read about it—TV, movies, books, fiction and non-fiction…when someone wants to change their identity, escape detection, like a bank robber or a terrorist, or the more believable secret agents (Bond is OUT), they change their look. Grow out their hair, change the color of it, style it differently. I suspect he keeps the beard so that he doesn’t immediately get recognized, compared to the appearance on his ID card that the player gets/can find.

Again, yes, there are other Fredriks, plenty of room for me to be wrong here—but I don’t think so. Similar situation to Kenneth, I cannot overlook the similarities that I see.

In my brief searches for hints at Boden, Karlshamn, and Farosund, I found nothing else in the game but did see that these are actual locations around Sweden. But, as we’ve both pointed out now, yes, it is still entirely possible the references to such locations in the game may be to other locations within the game world, on the islands or elsewhere.

However, I don’t think merely referencing places outside our reach necessarily means that they intended to include the mainland “in play” but just “in the story”—like with the Soviet Union, Russia, Camp Kabarga; not “in play” but definitely “in the story.”

Echelon, yeah, it might be a bit far-fetched, but I think I could at some point see GZ getting some sort of TV series or movie mini-series. Would be wild to see it get some high-end production…

“The Terror” or “Shogun” or “The Expanse”—all I figure were better than “The Walking Dead”…though, unfortunately, maybe that level of production value would be more in-line with GZ…

I mean, hey, they’ve done movies for “Tomb Raider”…games for “Riddick”…a series for “The Last of Us”…games for “Battlestar Galactica”…so the jump to and from game/movie/TV may be a very real possibility.

1 Like

I could be wrong, but expecting that the devs made a mistake is not very satisfying evidence to me. I haven’t seen other instances of a NPC placed simultaneously in different locations the world. We do know that Ringfort Kenneth, like all ringfort dwellers except Frederik (mission Synapses), was a survivor of Måsskar.

I play solo (always), so I would not see both Kenneths simultaneously, still I would not expect to see the same NPC when I use fast travel. If the devs are reading this discussion, they might give us some more identification data, to get a clearer sense of who is who (@SR_Carni). To me the story is most important, and although mysteries are fun for a while, I would love to see more narrative pieces explaned.

With true evidence missing we can only guess right or wrong. I was curious to see if I might had overlooked some evidence in visual form or lore and hoped that you shared your ideas.

If we check the mission Synapses, we find that before RIngfort Frederik went to the Ringfort he took shelter in the Minken Warboard room where he heard a mysterious transmission in Morse code that after transcribing contained orders from Holberg. This seems to me a clear indication that Ringfort Fredrik is not Holberg.

1 Like

As you may have noticed I have been checking up on all seen and unseen characters in the game. Finding connections with others, and what happened to them.

Now I am working on Robin Pauli, friend of Benny, he is janitor at the hotel according to one source, but in the trophy “Here’s Pauli! (Find out what happened to the missing guest of Björntunet Hotel)” it seems that Pauli, who some assume we find in the maze, is the guest. I have three questions:

• Was Pauli a guest or janitor or both?
  • Do we know for sure that the dead person in the maze, is indeed Pauli?
  • Or was Pauli the one who did the axe killing, since “Here’s Pauli” sound a lot like “Here’s Johnny” from the movie the Shining?

What do you think?

…seems more likely to me that “Fredrik” stumbling across that message from “Holberg” is nothing more than him trying to hide in plain sight.

Holberg leaves a message for others, but others don’t seem to get the message…so Fredrik “finds” the message and reports it to others, concealing the fact that he was the one who left the message to begin with.

Not enough conclusive evidence in any direction, just as with Kenneth, but I maintain the suspicions I’ve pointed out. In both cases.

Speaking of Kenneth… Figuring that the devs simply made a mistake with the “duplicate Kenneth” isn’t what I would hope for or that I’m happy with, either, but we all know that GZ does have certain flaws…and certain corrections have taken quite a while to be made in the past, while some other issues continue to exist. So, unfortunately, it is a possibility I consider to be all too real—likely enough to point out.

Given Bjorntunet’s many references to the Shining, I’d consider it likely that Pauli was both guest and janitor. Much like the character in the movie, technically guest and temporary caretaker for the off-season.

1 Like

So it’s Robin Pauli (janitor) who, like Jack (caretaker) in the Shining, is found in the maze, frozen!
Then logically, following the movie’s narrative, the axe-killings in the hotel were committed by Robin Pauli.

We find axes at more places:

The two false twins, Lisa and Louis, who blackmailed Ingvar Larsson and were murdered with an axe as the bloody axe on the scene suggests (this mission leads also to the Hotel)
Were they killed by the axe murderer from the hotel?

Then in a cave on Måsskär we find a grave with two crossed axes. Not related I guess to The Shining.

Then there is the scene with a grave or memorial and a mysterious plaque, which seems to contain a name and some obscure numbers. This has remained a mystery that needs more story information.

My notes:

Salonen R.

• Plaque found at -1198, -1694 west of Boo Church. Containing text: 9 R. Salonen 17 93.
    Located on a small hill. Might be a grave or memorial.
    Location has a totem-like Wooden statue.

Edit

• Status / Story: Developer Tribute - Robin Salonen, Environment & 3D Artist for Generation Zero in 2019.
1 Like

It’s a “memorial” for one of the devs, I guess.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=https://www.mobygames.com/person/932038/robin-salonen/&ved=2ahUKEwjwqOOu8byFAxWicPEDHXVfBiAQFnoECBgQAQ&usg=AOvVaw2B9-HH9aaJqk4FFjTetUmx

1 Like

Cool find. So what would the numbers, 9,17 and 93 mean?

a birth date maybe 17 sept '93?

Funny thing, after we had the discussion that Kenneth should not be at two different places at the same time, now it seems the dev changed it, and kenneth is no longer at Averholm Orchard.

Can somebody confirm that kenneth is indeed gone from the Apple Barn near Sorken bunker?

Some ideas seem a bit too much complicated or advanced, too much “deep”
And as things are now, with vehicles, experimental weapons, augmentations and new ncps i suggest instead easy stuff like :

• Battles between Swedish forces and Spetsnaz Units
  • Continuation of Fnix Conquest story
  • Some conclusion to the Soviet machines broken Loop A.I directives and surviving Soviet units.

Suggestion of a GZ 2 in 2027 so that we can actually finish the story and have new Islands and factions (Yeh right in our dreams :eyes: :sweat_smile: :rofl:)

1 Like

Don’t forget a new engine.
Destroyable structures and landscape, cities with skyscapers, new machines,… :sweat_smile:

Im already “asking” for something really difficult, you are asking for impossible…its curious that we in general have almost 0 modern games with destroyable environments, cant even remember anything in the last 10 years besides Battlefield and the new Teardown game.
Before that, Red faction and Mercenaries games, its been abandoned by the gaming industry since then.

1 Like