Kotenok rebalancing

Agreed. In future, maybe the devs could add some of the caliber’s in later DLC’s.

Yeah it is a meme but it kinda explains the main reason this thing needs buffed

7 Likes

Yeah, sad to see that most of the DLC weapons are more or less useless or at least no real beneficial addítion to the game. And the 7.62x54 R is not that weak…

Another way to get around that problem and my alltime favorite suggetion would be some kind of magazine extensions for the Älgstudsare and the Meusser. Both are fine guns but lack a bit ammo capacity.
And there are various extended magazine extensions / conversions to use magazines on hunting rifles and even bigger clip housings (?) on older military rifles / carbines.
So give them extensions with +1 round for every * and it would be totally fine I guess.
Another option might be a silencer for the .50 …

My 2 Ct.

1 Like

It’s hard to compete in “rapid-fire cheap ammo DMR” niche, since G3 is also easily DMR herself. Basically your standart production rifle that showed above average score at testing and slapped on bipods&optics.
As NJR87 said a while ago:

Yes, we need some sort of balance.
Currenly it is basically cut in half G3 - semi-auto, 10 base mag, very strong recoil, slightly better damage, that easily compentsated by DPS/DPM of full-auto G3. Obsoletted after 300-is ammo count to go more dakka or finding comparable quality G3. If we wanna see Kotenok worth it’s money - buff is mandatory.
If we can’t add on flat numbers, what about “hidden stats” or effects? Like permament +% dmg to components, so people of marksmen affinity would actully play around with it?
Or just flat-out rechamber it to .270? This round is powerful itself and this combo easily fills niche between bolt-action and anti-materiel rifle.

This is a REALLY bad idea, why should we buff a DLC item by nerfing a base game item? If you don’t own the DLC the only thing that happens is that the AK4 will lose its charm, sure it might be just as good, but what if not? Why not reduce recoil and add damage to the Kotenok and keep AK4 as it already is? We can’t make the Kotenok better by making something else worse. The AK4 is an assault rifle first and a DMR second! We should not touch base game to make DLC better.

4 Likes

I don’t know how it is on PC or xbox, just ps5, but I hate using scopes with the AG4 or AG5. Way to slow moving of the sight.

This is, where the Kotenok should have its advantages. I truely haven’t built a Kotenok-setup, but isn’t it possible to attach larger scopes on it than on the AG4?

If it has less damage than the hunting-rifles it should have a greater magazine, less recoil, less accuracy (but more accurate than an AG4) and faster shooting speed to compensate this.

And keep in mind that it’s a sniper rifle, no assault rifle or dmr and that it’s supposed to kill soft targets (humen), not machines.

Have you ever compared the Kotenok with exp 7.62 ammo against the Meusser or Älgstudsare on high ranges?

1 Like

I didn’t mean to do anything to base game rifle and I believe I didn’t write anything about nerfing it. I’ve meant that it was that good and should be as is, because it became somewhat a standart. I was comparing these two and proposing how to up the “kitten”.

In real life SVD is DMR. Soviet doctrine was first to implement squad assigned marksman across all infantry (mechanized included) which is a rifleman with a suppot role of longer reach (300m vs 600m effective range, up to 1km with best conditions), and actually aim for a kill vs suppressive fire of a machinegunner. Also SVD is the first ever DMR by design, unlike other existing rifles in similar role, which are basically fine-tuned existng rifle or had a precursor. (like said above G3/sg1 - is production rifle with high marks and accessories; second cases are other G3-based sniper rifles MSG90 and PSG1 and M21 - which is finelly crafted rifle itself for sniper role and had M14 as precursor).

No I didn’t, because didn’t bothered - hands too shaky for that. Exerimental ammo is only redeeming feature for this rifle, but alas it is not exclusive.

Ok, you’re right, SVD is a DMR.
But Kotenok isn’t:

Still, it lose in both categories - as accurate semi-auto rifle and as “sniper” rifle niches.

2 Likes

Ah yes the gz wiki as a source.
Just because there it is listed as a sniper means almost nothing.

IMO, the SVD should be as powerful as a meusser. I would argue maybe even higher.

People might say then it is P2W and I would say that the game should have never done weapon additions like this anyway. Plus you can get the exp pvg base, the most OP weapon since before shock ammo.

None of the weapons are really balanced anyway, some are inherently Awful and some are broken beyond belief. The LMGs have 10 more rounds than an AR and all the DLC weapons are just pre-existing guns with different models or are completely inferior to existing weapons.

Maybe so. Changes nothing about how bad the SVD is compared to the other long range options.

The entire weapon system needs to be balanced but I doubt this is going to happen.

Thank you for your little test.
How is it compared to the Älgstudsare with 270 shock ammo?

Is this from the soviet DLC?

Yes it is.

(20 char barrier…)

1 Like

That’s exactly what I think.
But it could have been possible (didn’t test it) that you can kill 4 proto runners with the Älgstudsare with 4 shots and need 16 shots with the kotenok for 4 runners so that it equals in some way.

I must say that I didn’t use the Älgstudsare at all… At the beginning I had the Meusser. When I found an Älgstudsare, I didn’t have ammo for it. And before I found a useable amount of ammo, I found a pvg.