Let’s Learn the Swedish Alphabet!

Let’s Learn the Swedish Alphabet! :+1:

There are some letters that seem to be weird for some people, but they are easy to pronounce.

I’m not a Swedish speaker, but I learn German and Swedish is similar to it, but easier.

The Alphabet:

Aa Bb Cc Dd Ee Ff Gg Hh Ii Jj Kk Ll Mm Nn Oo Pp Qq Rr Ss Tt Uu Vv Ww Xx Yy Zz Ää Åå Öö

The special letters are “Ä” which is pronounced as “é”, “Å” is pronounced as “ó” and Ö, which is pronounced as “oe”.

“Ä” and “Ö” are letters that can be found in the German Alphabet, and “Å” is used in the Danish Alphabet.

Basic Words:

“Hallå - Hello” : pronounced as “Halló”

“Fika” - “Coffee” : pronounced as “Fiká”

“Motstånd” - “Resistance” : “stånd” is similar to “stand”, but the special letter is pronounced as “ó”

Hope you enjoy! :wink:

3 Likes

Åå Ää Öö is the last letters of our alphabet, not mixed in like you wrote :wink:

We dont say it like that, in sweden we say Hallå.

1 Like

Ah, ok. Sorry for the mistakes. I’ll correct them. I wrote like this, because in my language, we write the special letters after the basic one.

So does that mean other languages can be used on this forum and the English only policy will be changed?

No, I don’t think so.
But as swedish is used for many textes ingame, these lessons may be helpful :wink:

1 Like

As a child there was a series on Dutch television (don’t remember the name) and one sentence always comes to mind when thinking of it (I can’t let you hear the bending in de voice and fonetic :smile:)

‘Pèllèh, weeh doe wah?’ (almost Dutch to me ‘Pelle, weet je wat?’) Eng. Pelle, you know what?

:sweat_smile:
Could also be a german dialect.
“Pelle, weisste watt?”

3 Likes

German is very hard. I just got a 8 at German. :joy: The pronunciation is easy for me, but there are a lot of rules and exceptions.

2 Likes

Gar nicht… :grimacing: :wink:

About Swedish… Hej comes to my mind (instead of Halla ← sorry can’t find the little ° above the a… :man_shrugging: )

And also Herre gud … (a former girlfriend of mine worked for a swedish company and finally moved to Sweden and she used it somewhat frequent but often more as a “mild” curse like god damn… (?))

1 Like

You must press ALT0229 on your Keyboard that is the “å” and the “Å” is the ALT0197

4 Likes

Translates to “Oh My God” or “Mein Gott” and used in the same way, can mean both something good or something bad.

Some good examples:
Herre gud vilken idiot - Oh my god what an idiot
or
Herre gud va gott - Oh my god how tasty/delicious
:slight_smile:

2 Likes

For Dutch people German isn’t that hard - language consists of several EU languages.
But like studying Spanish and Italian at the same time - it’s complex and somewhat hard.

1 Like

In Dutch: Heer God.

Só close …

Maybe a resurrection of the Swedish language :laughing:

1 Like

I am a Romanian native-speaker, and this language has latin and slavic words. It’s a combination, and German is really hard for a language like this. We have some words that are identic or similar to German, such as “Gratis” which means free, due to our history.

2 Likes

It’s all history. People from everywere have been all around Europe.

2 Likes

In Romanian there is a letter “Ă” which is pronounced as “e” in “bubble”. This is a common sound in all Germanic Languages. We also have to similar letters “Δ and “” which represent the same sound. It’s a common slavic sound, but it doesn’t exist in English. If you search on Wikipedia, this sound is described as the second vowel in word “roses” for some English speakers.

1 Like

Our alphabet looks like this:

Aa Ăă Ââ Bb Cc Ee Ff Gg Hh Ii Îî Jj Kk Ll Mm Nn Oo Pp Qq Rr Ss Șș Tt Țț Uu Vv Ww Xx Yy Zz

“Ș” is pronounced as “sh” and “Ț” is pronounced as “ts”. We also use “J” for sound “zh”.

Google translate works fairly well if you want to listen how words are said

1 Like

And if you want to request a pronounciation or just browse them by language, Forvo is thé platform.