Level based Machine Level Scaling and MP Machine Scaling

It’s a figure of speech, wherein thine elders hold forth at great length on how much harder things were when they were young, how good you have it, and how you should be grateful, stop complaining, and generally be less whiny and more admiring of your elders and betters.

The canonical piss-taking of that behavior takes the form “When I was young, I had to walk to school. 30 miles! Barefoot in the blizzard! Going uphill both ways!”

2 Likes

That makes no sense to me.

If you offer it, offer it all the way through. Otherwise, you’re just setting people up to die horribly at level 15 when suddenly the protection ends but they have acquired no skills (the player, not the character) to see them through.

1 Like

Ok maybe you are right
Maybe it´s better to do it like Bloodborne does
“Having a Hunter as the first machine to kill in the beginning of the game”
Many would just rage quit or run to the hills.

Now seriously, you have a point, i guess people just have to learn it the hard way.

I wasn’t trying to be snarky, if you can believe that. :slight_smile: I have absolutely nothing against making the game easier for those who want it, just against getting them invested and then kicking them in the face. :wink: To rephrase, I suppose if you offer this, but offer this indefinitely, it amounts to selectable difficulties, and we might as well put it in the menu as such?
Just perhaps not as “story mode” like some do, as that would imply a worthwhile story.

I know, i just thought it would be funny to use that real example.
This might actually be the most difficult thing to change in the game, the difficulty.
I just hope they don’t make the game too much easy (if they ever implement difficulty settings).

If they had different strategies in the AI, I guess.
But a simple multiplier for enemy HP seems comparatively safe. Perhaps their damage as well, but that may have side effects such as cars and gas containers shot by them exploding later, which may or may not be desired?

1 Like

Just changing HP alters the balance in prolonged combat. It’s a difficult thing to change without it feeling wrong somehow.

Isn’t that sort of the point, though?
A change that doesn’t, isn’t. :smile:

Prolonged fight: more opportunity to make mistakes and die, and for various bots to get a hit in.

Fewer HP -> shorter time to kill -> less time under fire from multiple sources -> more bots dead before they can get to melee range -> easier fight

You’re probably right. I just had a feeling that simply scaling the hp of the robots would alter the play in unexpected ways. But I’m sure it’s worth a go.

That of course is entirely possible. My claim was simply that to me, this seems the “least worst” (or rather, least obviously invasive) change, as the inverse (keep bot HP, increase player-inflicted damage; or keep both of those, and decrease bot-inflicted damage) has side-effects that were immediately obvious to me, as this would alter interaction with environment “explosives” like stationary gas tanks, cars, and so on.

Also note the “immediately” bit, I haven’t sat down and actively thought through all of the scenarios (nor, of course, do I know any kinks of GZ’s implementation). So for one thing, it’s entirely possible that someone else will read this, and find a completely different issue “immediately obvious.” :smile:

1 Like

Wouldn’t the easiest and straight forward way be to increase player HP? Gives basically the same result, but at the same time makes us less vulnerable to our own explosives, gas tanks, fall damage… -> overall easier. And does not reduce battle time that much but just reduces the amount of dying.

It would also mean that learning how an enemy is to be destroyed would not change in any way in case you up the difficulty later-on. And it maintains the necessity of preserving ammo wherever you can.

You wouldn’t even need a patch for that, you could just bring medkits to the fight.

And that’s exactly why I don’t find it terribly attractive. :wink:

Not quite. You can’t heal what’s not there. If you get ragdolled, or hit from a few things at once you’d die quickly, instead of slowly.

1 Like

Sure. But that is confusing the terms hard and tedious to some extent.

Why do i get the feeling when reading the latest replies here, that you guys forgot that we have skills in GZ as well? Skills that:

1. Increase the dmg you do to machines (extra dmg to armor, extra dmg to components, extra dmg with semi-auto fire, extra dmg with fully automatic fire, extra dmg when using explosives).
  2. Reduce incoming dmg (skill for 10% reduced gas dmg, skill for reducing 10% bullet dmg at lvl1, 10% explosive dmg at lvl2, 10% gas dmg at lvl3 and 25% reduced dmg for all three). For example, with Vanguard and Chemist skills, i’m completely immune to all gas. Tanks and harvs can fart at me as much as they desire, i won’t loose any HP. Same goes for the military hunter mortar fart bombs. :grin:
  3. Increase your HP (skill for 10% HP increase per lvl, 3x lvls in total).
  4. Increase the effectiveness of first aid kits (meaning you don’t have to use that many).

And for ragdolling, there’s also another skill to prevent it: Steady Feet.

If you don’t consider any of the skills whatsoever then maybe yes, GZ is difficult game. But with skills, you can make your life easier IF you chose to get those skills. If not, well, your loss and stop complaining.

Is all that possible in 30 skill points?

Let’s see (i’m currently in-game, so can check it easily);

Combat tree:
Make 'em count - 5 points (for lvl1) or 6 points (for lvl2)
Vanguard - 6 points (if each skill is lvl1) or 10 points (when maxing out Armor, Armor damage and Trigger happy)

Support tree:
Heal amount - 4 points (for lvl1) or 6 points (for lvl3)

Survival tree:
Steady feet - 4 points (since it’s 4th skill and has 1x lvl only)
Health amount - 2 points (for lvl1) or 4 points (for lvl3)

Tech tree:
Component damage - 3 points (for lvl1) or 4 points (for lvl2)
Chemist - 1 point (since it’s 1st skill and has lvl1 only)
Explosives expert (includes Chemist) - 5 points for lvl1 (+10% dmg) or 6 points for lvl2 (+30% range)

Bare minimum, for each skill at lvl1, we’d get: 5 + 6 + 4 + 4 + 2 + 3 + 5 = 29
Maxing out all those skills would cost: 6 + 10 + 6 + 4 + 4 + 4 + 6 = 40

So, possible? Yes.
Also, when you go with Vanguard and fully-auto fire, there wouldn’t be much point wasting 5 points for Make 'em count skill for extra dmg of semi-auto fire. You could use those points to improve other skills.

1 Like

This is similar to my build, but I can’t go in game to check. It’s really helpful to see the breakdown, @Aesyle, thank you!

I do still get gas damage, but I’m sure before the last update I did not. Are you sure you still don’t? (I have chemist, I’m wondering if I didn’t take that other 10% skill.)

On that topic, I’d be interested to see your builds. Here is mine:

Picked my char with Vanguard and Chemist and tested it out in Sorken comm bunker.
Now, i do take little gas dmg as well. I guess devs fixed that with latest patch. Nice, since gas immunity isn’t my thing. :smiley:

1 Like