Looting and Recycling Feedback

Idea for new looting and recycling feature that should be pretty simple to add in to the game.

AOE Looting, aka Area of Effect.
So in these bigger fights where we are killing 10-20 enemies and its a literal graveyard I would prefer to not have to run around to every single enemy but instead be able to loot all the loot from one body within a certain radius from you. HUGE quality of life feature.

Need the ability to recycle straight from the storage chest. It is annoying to have to run back and forth to take supplies from storage to recycle. Especially when it comes time to clean house from everything that’s been looted for the last couple hours or days and then we can only carry so much and it takes ten+ trips back and fourth. Another HUGE quality of life feature.

Would be great to see these features.

1 Like

Hi,

From my opinion I disagree with you.
I think it would take much away of what makes Generation Zero somehow unique.

Yes, it’s annoying to search every dead machine after a base assault. But if I do that, then for a special purpose: certain loot. That’s worth the effort plus it adds a few minutes of silence between the action.

Automatic looting if you come close to machines would also have the risk of gathering all the stuff I don’t want or need. And: it would add the risk of suddenly becoming overencumbered. Then you open your inventory, search the scrap and throw it away, close the inventory and two steps further you’re overencumbered again. Just by walking.

You could use the companion with the scavenger module (companion DLC) instead.

Recycling from inside the plundra would take away some of the immersion and some intended gaps between storage and recycling stations in my opinion.
The plundra just is a box without equipment for dismanteling stuff. The recycling station is there exactly for this case. And it has an own inventory for materials. It’s good that they are split to two stations.

In total the suggestion almost sounds like changing the game so that you’re able just to fight without needing to focus on the other parts of the game. And this, in my eyes, would change the game too much. That’s no quality of life service, that’s removing some efforts and just servicing lazyness.

Sorry. Others may have other opinions.

4 Likes

I never said anything about automatic looting my guy. Maybe re-read what I typed.

Scavenger module is not that helpful. It’s too bad we can’t use the scanner one as it continuously disconnects my friend or myself.

But I respect your opinions. But I also don’t agree with anything you’ve mentioned here. Thanks for the input though.

2 Likes

Excuse me. This sounded like a walk-by-auto-looting (for me).

3 Likes

Not sure how you see that when it specifically says “loot from one body” not “walk by looting”. Lol. Auto looting for a game like this would be a trashy way to play. I just want to go up to one body, loot it, and have like a 10 foot radius of loot from everything within that radius in one screen.

My points still stand otherwise.

2 Likes

For my style of playing, the hit a USE key to pull up all loot in a set radius would take to long to sort through. Could be attacked from stray machines that were late for the party. I like to be selective of which machines and type I loot through to get what I use. And a lot of times I will loot while fighting the machines, so I like to be quick.

The recycling process now causes players to recycle stuff they don’t want to recycle. I find the filters to sort help a lot with what you want to recycle. Why would we need the recycle station if you could do everything at the locker? And some things you cannot put in storage, so that would change or still must go to recycle station for those too?

It would be nice if the storage had the same view as what you carry with icons showing if a weapon has attachments and things that are not attached. And it goes back to the ability to toss fully equipped weapons, and everything stays attached.

3 Likes

I’m torn.
Now, as the idea became clearer for me, it doesn’t sound as bad on the one hand.

When there is the message “combat won” (and just in this case) and you get the XP for it, there could be a note to press a button to loot the defeated machines.
Then you see all the loot on one screen and may take everything you want “quickly”.

Pro: No need to search every destroyed body.
Con: there could be quite large stacks of ammo or ressources. Either you take all at once quickly and risk to become overencumbered or you select the wanted amount, which takes some time when using a gamepad.

If you close the screen or if you miss the note to press the button or you got killed or ran away (lost or escaped combat), you have to loot them body after body like it is now.

On the other hand it’s… too easy, too fast. The challenge/excitement/fun of finding the good stuff would be almost gone because you get everything presented on a silver tablet. And there is still the risk of winning a combat, but still getting the message “escaped combat” because one hostile machine gets out of range, survives and doesn’t count as defeated.

2 Likes

Why not give the player the option? Do you want to collect all or do you want to loot each machine separately?

My play style is “loot everything and keep everything” for now. If I had the option to loot all destroyed machines in one click after a fight I would use it every time. When I get over encumbered I open up my inventory and dump the less wanted stuff so I can fast travel to a recycling station.

2 Likes

Thank you friend. I’m glad there is someone out there feels the same.

2 Likes

You believe looting every single machine in a 50 machine pile up is faster than looting one window that could encompass 10-15 machines at a time? That logic doesn’t make sense to me but to each their own.

And you must not loot everything you come across otherwise you would understand my problem. I carry a base weight of 50ish pounds. That leave 40 pounds for recycling loot. I have over 300 pounds of loot in the storage that needs recycled.

I’m sure you can do the math on how many trips that is. Now double those trips per day. It’s just annoying have to move that much stuff back and fourth but I did find a work around. In my claimed base you can set the storage chest right next to the recycle station and you dont have to move thus not having to worry about not being able to walk from storage to recycle.

1 Like

Man you going way to far into this. I want a ten foot loot radius from wherever I loot from. Anything inside that ten foot radius it lootable from my one location.

And I don’t look at what I loot. I take All every single time. When i get full i got to base and then sort through things. Youre getting way to in depth for my playstyle. And thats just it, a playstyle. We play different and that’s all. These are just some things I wouldnt mind seeing added to the game.

1 Like

No need to become grumpy.
You talk about HUGE quality of life changes by your idea but you simply mean for your playstyle?
Ever thought about changing your playstyle if it’s annoying for you to do this procedure? You’re not forced to do this.

And I just tried to write the story on that it could be a useful feature for everyone. Excuse me that I didn’t understand your intention.

1 Like

Everything you just posted tells me you are a novice player and you ARE wasting a lot of time not looting, you do the E key then the R key to take everything without know what it is. That may seem fast, but you are always overweight and can’t sprint so having to stop and sort through each column to see what you don’t want/need. I don’t and most all experienced players don’t.

I do not need to look at my inventory while out hunting for machines. I look at what I have as I use it. You missed were I don’t need to loot every machine and only loot the ones I KNOW will have what I need…and only take my needs.

You loot 50 machines that are from one battle? I will not loot the 2 dozen runners, or the 10-15 hunters. I will loot the harvesters, tanks and wolves as they drop, the smaller machines depend on the class and if I need what they will have. A battle that ends with 50 destroyed machines, I would only need to loot the last machine destroyed because as I stated, I loot machines as they fall and use them for cover as I loot. I am a hunter and not a gatherer. You want the game changed to make your gathering easier…what you are asking for will not do that and when you gain more experience, you will understand why.

Your method of gathering… You have to stop while looting and sort inventory to fast travel or sprint. I would have already left for the next battle. I do not look in my inventory on the battlefield, I am selective as to what I loot so there is no need to.

I do not store anything that will be later recycled, it is recycled next time I am at a save house and I recycle all supplies and then hit storage to top of or to restock things I maybe low on.

If executed correctly, the game has a very good inventory control that is fairly easy to keep balanced.

3 Likes

You can play your way and I’ll play mine and loot everything that the game has given me. I will then use all the functions the game has given me to look through, dispose of, and save what I deem necessary to my playstyle.

What gives you the right to say that the way I play is wrong? Lol. You sound like a child trying to minmax looting in a PVE game. I want all the loot period, and then I’ll do what I please with it.

Thanks for you’re thoughts though.

1 Like

I tried to explain to you how to MAXIMAX looting to be more effective at it. As you mature in the game, maybe someday you will realize what I stated is true.

There is nothing wrong with it, it is how all novice play, they feel they need to loot everything because they don’t know what they need or should keep. But once they can no longer stash anything, they reason there is not enough space for all their junk.
Sorry if I hurt your feelings.

1 Like

My feelings aint hurt. I think you just have no idea how to “play” a game rather than “work” in a game the way you are. I’m not sure what you don’t understand about wanting to loot everything. That doesn’t make someone a novice. And when my storage is full, I recycle. It’s not that hard to maintain it. I think you have some issues if you feel the need to constantly upkeep you inventory. It kind of shows you don’t know how to quickly manage it. I can manage a full stash, inventory, and companion inventory in 60 seconds. It’s not hard dude. You want to waste time only looting specific things off of specific enemies, by all means, play that way man. It’s your style. Stop slandering mine.

I just want the option for an area of effect looting feature, that’s all. Never asked for your opinion btw, this thread is for the devs, not to insult other players.

1 Like

And if you do gather all loot off all machines and loot locations on the map you are doing your 60 seconds very often.

Your words in the opening thread. I am a hunter and not a gather. I loot off the machines only what I have used to destroy them. And I don’t loot anymore than that. I could do it all day long and run from one end of the map to the other without any trips to a safe house to drop off anything other than the resources needed to craft EXP ammo, I use very sparingly. It is the way we played before the introduction of crafting everything and the exp ammo.

If all you would like to do in your style of play is destroy a few machines, then spend 60 seconds sorting your inventory then that is fine. Have fun playing gather/sorter. Again, I like to hunt and spend my time playing the game doing that.

What you don’t understand is your feature request will mean my style of play will be changed so I must select all or not every time I loot a machine during battle and after. And YOU will realize that your feature request is a bad idea and only works for beginner players that have no clue what to gather so they pick up everything. You may come to that conclusion on your own someday. And in no way am I trying to insult you, if comes off that way then I am sorry. Just trying to explain gathering everything is a less effective way of tracking inventory.

Answer this question, every 60 seconds you spend doing your inventory how much do you just drop back down on the ground?

BTW: posting in a public forum is not asking input from just the developers, it is for open discussion and debate from the users of the forum.

1 Like

After my return to GZ with latest crafting and base building I found one thing I wish that it wasn’t like it is.
Textile can’t be recycled from all those clothes you find everywhere.

And after some time now I have realized that Textile is one of the most valuable resources in game. Without it no crafted Med kits - Without Meds I die, a lot. :grin:

Apparell are no items. They never have been.

I thought I could help you by refering to the wiki, but the information there isn’t complete:

I personally often find textile in world loot and I always recycle every simple and standard medkits to get textile for my advanced medkits.