Machine Companions (re-imagined)

It’s been a bit since Ive seen anything about Machine companions. I don’t just want to talk about ideas but how it would work aswell, because as swell as new content is, it has to be even and working without bugs.

(Overview)
So machine companionship is a hard thing to add to the game because yknow, how? Where does it fit in. I’ve had a couple of ideas for how you gain the help of a MC (what I’m gonna say instead of machine companion).

Idea #1 Real Dog brain swap.

A way you could obtain machine companions could be through brainswapping (this is specifically for runners/dogs). There could be a place where you find a dog where you and the NPCS agree that it would be better if he was brain transferred with a machine. Like Ulmer.

A couple things that come to mind are, how do these NPCS posses the power to do so? And is this too sci-fi. 1 These NPCS could possibly have access to a previous Machine outpost and collect the required tech to do so (E. G. The NPC could have worked on behalf of FOA). That would explain how they are able to do it. 2 I think it’s perfectly fine within the boundaries to have something like this happen, I mean look at the rest of the game.

This idea obviously leaves out the idea of Hunter friends and new types of machines to be friendos.

The reason I though of this one is because some people would like to (I know you may shrug it off) but have emotional attachments to their MCs. You may not think that now but when you’ve spend more than a week with your bestie and he gets evaporated you’ll be sad for sure.

This way has more problems than good things so this isn’t the best.

Idea #2 The Machine Factory Engineer!

This is probably the best way this could work. Obviously we have seen lots of NPCS with Himfjall and for the new FNIX Rising. Who’s to say one of these NPCS from either dlc/future updates isn’t a technological genius!

The way I see it working is you have to have a certain number of materials, you exchange them to mister handy man and he makes a machine buddy for ya.

There are a wee couple problems, like people making too many machines because they have SO many resources. I, myself have over 2000 metal and plenty of other resources so they would have to make it a costly price.

You would only be allowed 2-3 friendos in order to not ruin the server or be overpowered.

I see you only being able to create machines at level 20. But by that time they’ve probably got a billion stuff already right? I propose making it so that you get alot less resources until that point? That could have some altercations but I can see that working.

(HOW THEY WOULD WORK)
Now those were just ideas of ‘how your friends could come to be’ so pleeeeeease take them with a grain of salt since it was hard to think of any good ways you could do this without facing issues. Now this is how they’ll actually work. Behaviour, commands just how they do stuff etc.

#1 Restrictions.

I see there being an time frame between making machine friends like 20 irl minutes as to not constantly make machines.

Only 2-3 machines should be allowed to one person. This would make you not so overpowered.

You would not be able to destroy other players machines.

#2 issues

I see an issue which would be ‘you’ve seen how quickly machines can explode? What’s even the point of having them!’ My answer? Plot armour.

Machine AI when hacked and attacking other bits kinda sucks rn. Theyll have to give it a retouch.

If 4 friends get on a server with their maxed machines they will be unstoppable! They’d have to put restrictions down. Maybe over 2 player groups cannot port over their machines.

#3 commands

I see an Ark esc style to machine commands e. g. You push down a button and it brings up commands OR you could map some commands to buttons (this would have to be PC exclusive as they’re aren’t that many buttons for console so a push joystick would be better).

Commands such as:

Stay
Attack
Peaceful mode
Roam
Turret mode
Follow
Go
and Fetch

I could see being main ones.

#4 machines themselves.

We can’t just have 2 MACHINES! That being the Runner and hunter (possibly tick) as Companions cause thats boooooring!

I suggest brand new machine Concept ideas that part from main machines. (although it has been ages guys cmon add a new machine ready).

A companion exclusive machine that could hold stuff like ammo crates etc for you.

A bombardier which occasionally would through explosives? But small ones.

AND here’s one get ready for it…

Rideable!

That is a massive stretch and something that is most likely not coming although since they don’t think cars is the best idea, maybe this is the next best thing?

I don’t want to make this a machine ideas post so I’ll leave it at that.

#5 upgrades.

Taking resources (such as the leaked ones in the picture we were given) could be used to upgrade them by going to an upgrade station near wherever you get your machines from.

You could upgrade their health, armour, weapons or possibly their ability to do certain things.

#6 following

Once again machine AI unless its hostile is clunky because you have a 6ft hunter following you around.

I’d see having them wait for you outside of houses, barns and bunkers once you’ve entered them.

I can potentially see a lot of problems to come out of this. So if you spot any massive or big ones that could be problems make sure to tell me. But remember constructive criticism.

Bye!

2 Likes

6 posts were merged into an existing topic: Machine Master (AKA Pet Master)