Marksman anyone?

Should be a bit less than double the distance to the peak bullet rise, because the game does appear to be modeling proper ballistic curves. I haven’t been able to determine it accurately, but the Älgustudsare loses accuracy pretty quickly past about 450m, so it’s hard to tell for certain.

My sniper build so far is using the PVG 90 and AG 5 on single shot with a 1x4 scope for dogs, hunters, …

My reasoning behind using one assault riffle is that i want to make use of the skill to do extra damage when using automatic riffles in semi auto mode (make it count i think it’s called). With the recoil reduction in that skill tree you’re always on target and can hit the weak spots in quick succession. The PVG i use for far range and harvester/tanks. My pistol is the .44 because you can scope it (thought it made sense). You can actually take out military harvesters pretty quick with that .44. I also carry a scoped riffle with me because .243 or .270 is pretty easy to find. Other than that i’m going for being sneaky. Probably will be taking 1 skill in extra carry capacity and if i have skill points left go for either (or both) increased damage to armor and increased damage to components.

1 Like

Well, the sights cannot be set at more than 450 metres - it’d be more like 200 or 300. But which? Somebody who does multi-player needs to experiment and see. In fact I’m surprised that we aren’t told, or could set them ourselves. Then we could accurately aim off…

1 Like

Keep in mind the devs admit that they aren’t firearm experts, so I wouldn’t be surprised if they were scoped for some particularly long distance.

As far as setting them ourselves, it would be nice, but it would have to be something where we just dial in a number instead of going through the full process (the game just doesn’t give accurate enough impact markings for doing it right ourselves), though even then many people would probably need it to be explained to them.

Little box next to the sight - set at 100, 200, 300, or 500. Job done…

1 Like

My point was more that many gamers just don’t get the concept of needing to zero a scope at a specific range, and would need to have the setting explained. It’s pretty rare from what I’ve seen to find a game that actually lets you set a custom zero point for your scopes.

Well yeah, but most of them don’t model the bullet rise and drop properly. What’s the point of having a cross-hair if the bullet doesn’t strike at it?

Sniper Ghost Warrier 3 is one game…

@Bootie
True, depending an a variety of variables, the bullet will (over distance) seem to miss looking at the crosshair.
The crosshair is not a precision instrument, it gives an approximate direction where it will hit.
Your brain, then…
If you calculate the variables, the crosshair can suddenly become quite darned accurate!

Longest kill shot: 3.540meters…
Note, this is not quite easy to do…

I am pretty sure ArmA does weapon ballistics accurately but to be honest that kind of detail isn’t something that appeals to me. I know lots of players thrive on this kind of detail but if its not in a game I don’t lose sleep over it.

1 Like

“The crosshair is not a precision instrument, it gives an approximate direction where it will hit.”

Bless you, that’s not true, or it shouldn’t be. There is a discipline called “zeroing”, where you ensure over five or six rounds that your sights are perfectly aligned for a certain range. Now, when I shot at Bisley, we had only two rounds to zero with and then seven rounds to count, but the principle is the same. If my character recovers an AG4, the first sensible thing to do is to get out the little screwdriver, pick a target, fire at it, adjust, fire again, adjust and keep doing that until you hit it square (assuming that you are sufficiently talented to do so). From then on, you simply move the sights up and down for range. Now in this case we can’t do that, but we need to know at what point the bullet and the sights intersect. Perhaps @tene might consider making a video where he investigates each one and reports - if he’s running out of ideas for instance :wink:

3 Likes

@Bootie
Yes, but no zeroing in GZ…

Exactly! So we need to know where the intersect is on each weapon - i.e. at what range the sights are set. The rest we can work out…

2 Likes

That is where brain comes in, brother :slight_smile:

Well, only after trial and error. The brain can work from a fixed point. The thing is we have no fixed point. The bullet goes up, and then it comes down. If I know that at the current zeroing it comes down at 200 metres, I can use my brain to work out what 500 metres might look like. But if it’s just fired up in the air then my brain doesn’t know where to start…

What someone needs to do is to put a mate in the “butts” and fire at a target from various ranges until it comes down right. But playing single, by the time I’ve got there to have a look, the bullet mark has gone…

2 Likes

Me and a friend play Call of the Wild a lot. You can spot there, and zero your weapons. So in GZ when we play, one usually acts as a spotter for the other, so we can accurately hit our targets. It’s good fun, but a zeroing system for GZ would be really nice to have.

3 Likes

@Zesiir
Optionally either automatic (for those that do not know what it is) and a manual version.
Would be my suggestion.
Like in many an car-game: either manual or automatic transmission…?

Thoughts?

2 Likes

Side note:
For those thinking: “Automated zeroing? It’s the eighties, dude! And where’s my bloody car?”

Let me say this:
Machines…

For those that failed to get it: these machines can shoot.
And hit.
Thus, they can aim.
Thus, they got zeroing.
Automated zeroing.
Unless I missed tiny dwarves doing it for them…? o_O
Which could be…
Red weed and all, right? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

The machines have computers and all kinds of targetting assistance. And of course its just the game code that is written to make them hit quickly. Super AI that “cheats” the system that the player has to cope with has been a feature of games since they were first written. This does not mean at all that the game has zeroing for the player.

1 Like

@Saddletank
You missed the point, my friend.
There was the suggesting to add zeroing ability for the players.

Also:
If machines can hit you from distance, means they have zeroing ability.
No zeroing ability = no hits.
Simple fact, simple logic.

If machines can have automated zeroing on their weapon arsenal, then so can humans.
What can be applied to machine held weapons can be applied to player wield weapons.

Sure, the weapon gets more weight, I get that.
But do understand, what I suggested is not impossible in THAT universe’s Sweden at that time.

Otherwise, plenty of players might not even have SEEN a real weapon (hyperbole), let alone SHOOT it.
Let this player fiddle with a zeroing…?
By the time he’s done, he died 500 times.
And still hit the tree next to the Harvester that is 10 meters away!

Have YOU ever zeroed a rifle and hit a (military) target 800 meters and up?
I have.
Takes a tiny bit (hyperbole again) to learn that…
And for the record, those targets ain’t too bloody big, I can tell you that much. :slight_smile: