Marksman anyone?

Exactly! So we need to know where the intersect is on each weapon - i.e. at what range the sights are set. The rest we can work out…

2 Likes

That is where brain comes in, brother :slight_smile:

Well, only after trial and error. The brain can work from a fixed point. The thing is we have no fixed point. The bullet goes up, and then it comes down. If I know that at the current zeroing it comes down at 200 metres, I can use my brain to work out what 500 metres might look like. But if it’s just fired up in the air then my brain doesn’t know where to start…

What someone needs to do is to put a mate in the “butts” and fire at a target from various ranges until it comes down right. But playing single, by the time I’ve got there to have a look, the bullet mark has gone…

2 Likes

Me and a friend play Call of the Wild a lot. You can spot there, and zero your weapons. So in GZ when we play, one usually acts as a spotter for the other, so we can accurately hit our targets. It’s good fun, but a zeroing system for GZ would be really nice to have.

3 Likes

@Zesiir
Optionally either automatic (for those that do not know what it is) and a manual version.
Would be my suggestion.
Like in many an car-game: either manual or automatic transmission…?

Thoughts?

2 Likes

Side note:
For those thinking: “Automated zeroing? It’s the eighties, dude! And where’s my bloody car?”

Let me say this:
Machines…

For those that failed to get it: these machines can shoot.
And hit.
Thus, they can aim.
Thus, they got zeroing.
Automated zeroing.
Unless I missed tiny dwarves doing it for them…? o_O
Which could be…
Red weed and all, right? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

The machines have computers and all kinds of targetting assistance. And of course its just the game code that is written to make them hit quickly. Super AI that “cheats” the system that the player has to cope with has been a feature of games since they were first written. This does not mean at all that the game has zeroing for the player.

1 Like

@Saddletank
You missed the point, my friend.
There was the suggesting to add zeroing ability for the players.

Also:
If machines can hit you from distance, means they have zeroing ability.
No zeroing ability = no hits.
Simple fact, simple logic.

If machines can have automated zeroing on their weapon arsenal, then so can humans.
What can be applied to machine held weapons can be applied to player wield weapons.

Sure, the weapon gets more weight, I get that.
But do understand, what I suggested is not impossible in THAT universe’s Sweden at that time.

Otherwise, plenty of players might not even have SEEN a real weapon (hyperbole), let alone SHOOT it.
Let this player fiddle with a zeroing…?
By the time he’s done, he died 500 times.
And still hit the tree next to the Harvester that is 10 meters away!

Have YOU ever zeroed a rifle and hit a (military) target 800 meters and up?
I have.
Takes a tiny bit (hyperbole again) to learn that…
And for the record, those targets ain’t too bloody big, I can tell you that much. :slight_smile:

I don’t think I did miss the point. I do think you may have misunderstood the point I was making.

My point is it’s not “zeroing” as we understand it, its just game code. There is no actual zeroing function in the game as regards the discussion we are having. You couldn’t take the code the AI uses and convert it into a GUI for the player to use. In that regard it is not “zeroing”. The machines are not checking range, target deflection, target size, wind strength and so on when they take their shot.

No, that does not follow at all. Computer code “cheat” gives the AI machines the ability to hit you first shot.

That would be aim assist which would be awful.

2 Likes

This may be a bit off topic, but I find most machines to be lousy shots if you get them at just s bit of distance …

@Saddletank
Marksman anyone?
Here the topic around zeroing weapons begin.

Now, I went on (with others) about introducing zeroing as system.
Both MANUAL, as AUTO-ZEROING.
This, by any means, is NOT aim-assist or aimbotting.
You still need to focus the weapon on the target and shoot.

Then I said, seeing it as the Mech’s (as entity, NOT as the code) can shoot spot on, it therefore has aim zeroing.
From a MACHINE’S point of view, it has simply zeroing.

Yeah, it is game code, sure, but that is not even remotely what it is about.

Weapons in GZ behave, to say the least, awkward.
You can basically snipe a machine 500m down the road with a bloody pop-gun.
While the .50 simply loses aim at about 200 meters (bullets impact not “dead-aim”.
Also the bullet trajectory system is, so say the least, inaccurate.

Now, we COULD compensate this with weapon zeroing.
This can be done, as I see it, in three ways:

1. Automatic.
  2. simple (distance tuning as per this post: Marksman anyone?)
  3. Hardcore zeroing, where wind and other stuff has to be accounted for (so not just bullet drop, but also sideways zeroing).
    This could be done as a two- or three way option.
    To satisfy everyone (I would like the hardcore way, myself).

What I said about machines having auto-zeroing is pointed towards the story, and the machines, as REAL STUFF.
Not about the code behind that system, or the code that makes machines actually hit you… :slight_smile:

For PC gaming using a mouse I totally agree. On Xbox using a wireless controller … not so much! I hate these game controllers where you aim using your thumb on a stick :imp:

@IanForce
Thumb Ball Track Ball, brother, Thumb Ball Track Ball. :stuck_out_tongue:
One needs no more. XD

Yes, my own preference indeed! But I don’t think my Xbox supports that. There has been a huge debate about whether Xbox should support mouse for gaming. Still no, I guess. Something about co-op game balance …

@IanForce
Well, I won’t tell you that you could put a mouse on the controller cable…
Nor that the only thing you need to look out for is the amount of buttons the mouse has. :wink:
Naturally, I never say this, as I am a nice person, and thus refrain from telling these things. XD

1 Like

Really??!? I didn’t know about sticky flares tossed at machines either! Time to up the game a bit :+1:

@IanForce
It only requires a wee bit of soldering… which, understand, I do not say.

If I recall correctly, the game setting is a teenager returning from a camping trip to find total havoc. I don’t know if you guys spend your teen years zeroing in rifles. I did not. I played the piano (my mothers idea, not mine). I think it would be awesome if we had a professional soldier or police woman character, that had access to all this fine weapon tuning. As we are discussing in another thread, different characters with different starting points and perhaps different skill sets would be marvelous.

@Xogroroth, I might PM you in a day or two not to discuss that :wink:

:smiley: Yeah, I really did. I gave up cricket for Full Bore shooting at 14. Shot at Bisley three times (didn’t win)…