Meusser Hunting Rifle Inverse Bullet Drop

I really am flexible with the range at which rifles are zeroed. What I am looking for is a consistent experience from which I can build up my gameplay style. The only targets I ever shoot at range would be the Harvester and the Tank as everything else is pretty small to snipe weak spots at range for me. Of course my character is low level so if I had the no weapon sway perk this probably would not be so much of an issue.

@NJR87 brings up a good point about revamping the optics for rifles. As much as bullet rise is an issue for me, having a consistent optic from which to base the weapon characteristics on would drastically effect how I play regardless of if there is bullet rise or not. Currently, the optics have a zoom functionality with five steps for the four zoom levels, for whatever reason, and the crosshair/mildots change with the zoom level rather than staying consistent making the mildots useless. If scopes were adjusted to have functional mildots and appropriate crosshair zoom functionality I would have no problem with bullet rise because I will have a consistency in rifle optics/ballistics to practice with.

@Aesyle Making mildots actually function in-game as they are intended in real life would have the added benefit of keeping your existing playstyle of sniping at range regardless of if the weapon zero range was changed. The biggest part about mildots is that given a certain range, which you can determine from the size of target compared to the mildots, you can determine how much bullet drop there will be and aim accordingly. The concept of aiming at long range has to be dead center of the optic’s crosshair is from an optic zeroing perspective which cannot be done in-game.

What I think rifles suffer from the most in this game is from a more complex ballistics system without the added complexity of rifle optics. This makes for an inconsistent feeling experience with players not having the tools to use the rifle ballistics system effectively.

2 Likes

Well with weapon sway aiming at targets at great distances is always a gamble. In this case the weapon drop can be at any value when the char cannot hold the weapon still. Even precise crosshair scopes wouldn’t make any difference.

To know where the bullet hits I used a church as an aiming target. I put a way point as close as possible to the church wall and moved away controlling the distance to the waypoint via the map. At certain distances (50m, 100m, 150m etc.) I shot at the wall and watched where the bullet would hit. This way I know where the crosshair has to be at certain distances.

As mentioned before the ballistics of bullets is pretty flat in GZ which makes it pretty easy to even hit targets at 200 - 300m precisely if you have the Marksman specialization activated. Otherwise it’s really hard to hit the target you want to hit.

1 Like

As said above I would rather had a zero to 50 m but if the devs don’t want to do that the zero range could depend of the sight’s magnification.
iron sight = 50 m
4-8x = 100 m
6-12x = 200 m
8-16x = 300 m
And very important: this information should be mentioned in the description of the sight or at least in rifles description.

3 Likes

For the love of first person shooters, please fix the scope sights! With all the information about bullet rise, bullet drop, zeroing, etc. a simple, standard mildot sight for each scope would solve the majority of the issues. Instead, the mildots are more of an esthetic as they zoom in and out with the magnification of the scope. Why even bother having mildots at all: just have a basic crosshair like they had in World War II and be done with it if the mildots are just for looks.

I have been playing around with the rifles at longer engagement distances with varying results of bullet rise to spot on the crosshair. I have yet to witness any bullet drop below the crosshair and have resorted to my norm of 50m - 75m engagement distances because I can rely on the shots at those ranges. I waste too many shots at ranges between 100m - 300m which really does not create a fun player experience in a FPS.

1 Like

Mildots been real help for long (130+ m) ranges with very curvy bullets (.44 and slugs). Problem is - inconsistent pattern between scope’s quality. I have engages like these when I feel extra cozy fighting big ones from “safe” distances and need to spend ballast ammo for revolver, shotgun and rifles.

if you paid for the upgrade in your Tech tree you would know the range of the Robots from your location. Its an overlooked upgrade people think they should be handed it to them… If you wanted to use rifles should of thought about the Range as well.

best comment i read all day buddy i need to test this on a shooting range now. personally think a 200 or below range is good range because w/ underrated smoke grenades you can cover yourself pretty quick to max out your visible cover. but to acquire the exo suit isn’t that 500 meters away?

1 Like

Keep in mind, this thread is over a year old so you might not get a response. I’ve noticed you resurrecting other threads, please don’t do that. All that happens is they get bumped to the top, and consequently locked.

//Mod

You’re right this thread is quite old but as far as I know nothing has changed in this time. I never read something in the patch notes. Bjorn told us that it works as intended but haven’t respond to our suggestions. Does that mean that they wont changes anything and it is useless to write in here? Do you know more?

Wasn’t the “inversed bullet drop” just caused by the rifles being zeroed to a specific distance though? If so that’s working as intended. Though the option to switch zeroing would be helpful…

That’s how I understood it. I hope there is a change in the next update. Maybe similar to what we suggested.