Mortar station and multiple base reasons

We have bases why nit an actual mortar? We have all the stuff i mean we can make rpg’s. You would have to build a mortar station in a base, it would have a specific usage range that could be seen on map. It sould give the player a reason to have multiple bases up and running at once, you could make armour damaging mortars and HE mortars which would deal more component damage. They would have a cool down obviously since it would be mildly over powered, and expensive.

1 Like

Would be a bit like the artillery piece that was an option in Fallout 4, I think…

Could work similarly, too; if I remember right, the player tossed out a smoke grenade or a beacon of some sort and, so long as they were within range of one of their settlements with an artillery piece built/deployed there, boom, down came the rain.

The FNIX outposts built on occupied Control Points have an artillery barrage ability, which might be easily reworked to allow for a player’s artillery barrage.

I know the devs here want to do their own thing, don’t want to “steal” from other games, but, eh…if an idea is good, and it isn’t exactly unique to just one game, it becomes fair game, doesn’t it?

Several FarCry titles have included mortars, including one the player could actually carry around and deploy and use anywhere in FC2… In FC2, the player used the mortar somewhat realistically…which made it extremely difficult for players to come to terms with, as you pretty much had no idea where you were aiming unless you had done a LOT of fooling around with it previously to practically learn how to aim a mortar in reality. More recent FC titles had their mortars as fixed emplacements that the player could approach and use, and they had much simpler aiming and use—top-down, bird’s eye view, as if using a drone for targeting. Other games have had a variety of different ideas or executions for it, like HALO’s handheld target marker that made calling in orbital artillery “point and click”…so there are plenty of other ways a dev can go about making the execution of the idea more original, ‘their own’—if they must.

[ Call me crazy, but I’d love to see some actual crew-served weapons introduced. Mortar, with shells, base plate, and bipod… Crew-served MGs, with tripod and ammo cans to deal with… Not something for solo play, but in co-op?

Four guys sneak into a field in the Farmlands, one sets up the tripod, second sets up the gun, third sets the ammo close by, fourth guy sets ammo down, loads the gun, mans it…other three move in to attack, or two to attack and one to stay close to the MG gunner to keep him covered, prevent him being taken by surprise…

Wouldn’t have to be conventional inventory items, but random movable on-the-map spawns…like the vehicles usable in some other games. Might even have to find the sections in different places, bring them together. Ruined gunpit, tripod is okay…another location, there’s a gun…some place else, the ammo.

When did the MK19 40mm MG come about? I forget, but other recoilless rifles—heavier than the 84—would suddenly be something to consider, and maybe also something along the lines of a TOW ATGM…

Super complex… Like I said, call me crazy… ]

And, yeah, I know. Bit of a necro. Sorry, but I don’t think it’s out of bounds.