Moving savegame from XBOX PC GamePass to Steam version

Hi Evryone,

I have some difficulty with the moving of the savegame files.

I have a XBOX PC GamePass subscription, but I also own the game on Steam.
I’d like to move my GamePass savegame files to the Steam savegame directory, but I can’t find it.

I see a two directories (numbers in the folder name) at C:\Users[username]\Documents\Avalanche Studios\GenerationZero\Saves, but the folder associated with the Game Pass version is empty, I only see files in the Steam version folder.

Can anyone help me where can I find the Game Pass save game files so I can copy them to the Steam folder?

You might need to disable Steam Cloud (save syncing) before starting, as I did.

If you need to, backup this folder before starting…

C:\Users\gg\Documents\Avalanche Studios\GenerationZero\Saves

Open the folder inside there with the file “savegame” and delete it.

Now go to this folder…

C:\Users<>\AppData\Local\Packages\AvalancheStudios.GenerationZero_m0byj0nmrybdr\SystemAppData\wgs\000901F2F457E61A_169E01009F0C4C2D806A18D632ABC594\9184875913C444978F436303B5226266

Note the last two folders might have different digits, and maybe even one higher up could too, I do not know for sure.

Copy the newest file in that folder into the Saves folder previously mentioned, it’ll have long name with numbers and letters, change the file name to “savegame”. No joke, I launched the game in Steam and saw the CONINUE option, I clicked it and there was my character with all my stuff! Not only that, but the Steam achievements started rolling in!

It seems I cannot edit my original reply, so I’m posting my edit in another reply. I hope that’s okay. :slight_smile:

You might need to disable Steam Cloud (save syncing) before starting, I did, but I don’t know if that is required. You may also need to launch the game at least once from Steam beforehand but be sure to close it before moving onto the steps below.

If you need to, backup this folder…

C:\Users\gg\Documents\Avalanche Studios\GenerationZero\Saves<>

Delete the “savegame” file in that folder.

Now go to this folder…

C:\Users<>\AppData\Local\Packages\AvalancheStudios.GenerationZero_m0byj0nmrybdr\SystemAppData\wgs\000901F2F457E61A_169E01009F0C4C2D806A18D632ABC594\9184875913C444978F436303B5226266

Note the last two folders might have random digits, and maybe one higher up could too, I do not know for sure.

Copy the newest file in that folder into the \Saves<> folder previously mentioned; that file will have long name with random digits, change the filename to “savegame”. No joke, I launched the game in Steam and saw the CONTINUE option, I clicked it and there was my character with all my stuff! Not only that, but the Steam achievements started rolling in!

A final bit of sweet news, the storage box had the weapons from the Steam bundle I just purchased. Before figuring this out I was tempted to return the game and go back to Game Pass, but this outcome was perfect!

Is there a way to do this in reverse because I have been following some other guy claiming he knows how and whenever I try to load up the game through xbox pc it crashes without a error.
Can someone please help?