Mulitplayer causing crashes

I’m on PC, and find this issue regardless of whether I host or join a co-op game.

So, playing single player is fine and completely bug-free.

But joining a co-op game WILL crash my game either through

(1) joined players and the world (i.e. all the robots) glitching out, leaving me stranded in a “dead” world that I cannot interact with in any way (no looting, enemies stuck in one place and not registering damage nor reacting to the player’s presence, etc)

(2) hard crash, upon which game closes and goes directly to the crash report screen

(3) In-game notification appearing “you lost connection to steam and all multiplayer functionality will not be available” even though I have a solid 100 Mbps wired broadband connection

(4) Cannot join another’s co-op game through the Steam invitation service since when accepting a friend’s request to join - the game “does nothing” meaning it doesn’t seem to recognise them Steam interaction somehow

I just wanted @SR_Kimchi and @Avalanche_Graham to know about this since co-op is really the golden nugget of this game yet this functionality seems kinda shady at the moment.

Am I the only one experiencing very frequent crashes in co-op on PC?
I’m asking since I start to feel bad that I’m causing all these crashes for my teammates or for whomever decides to join my game.

I will post screengrabs of examples in this thread shortly. I truly love the uniqueness of this game and wish to be able to play it online without hassles soon! :slight_smile:

Ok so here is an example of crash number (1). Notice though that nothing “special” happened before this crash. We were just playing as normal, and I was joining the guy’s game.

2 Likes

One thing I’ve noticed, crashing seems to occur a lot at the start of a playing session (like within the first 30 minutes), but after that it’s smooth sailing. Though… I suspect, crashing happens for a whole bunch of reasons.

It’s good that you provided video, though. I try to record crashing myself but it’s not easy.

1 Like

I can confirm this, I keep crashing when join other peoples game.

You guys are singing my song. I’m on pc running win 10 and am having the same issues. Can play all day long by myself w/o much of an issue but multiplayer is a nightmare. Hope they can fig this out soon.

Exact same problem, and we send reports every time. It’s nice to have new content, but would be nicer to have multi sessions without wrecking every time we try to play with a friend. Thx.

I made another video of a typical MP crash. I’m making these cause they happen quite frequently. The main points are that I am joining another person’s game, but when said player glitches out (not voluntarily leaving the game mind you, this might be a separate issue btw), I am “alive” inside that person’s world. Because the in-game audio is much louder than my voice in the attached video, I make a short summary of the main points here:

(1) All collision physics (structures, other players etc) and moving about in the world seem to be working
(2) All interaction with the world is broken (opening doors and loot etc)
(3) Enemies are stuck in their position, do not react to players and take no damage from bullets.
(4) All audio still works like normal

I play on PC/Steam (Win 10). Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 17134) (17134.rs4_release.180410-1804)
Language: Swedish (Regional Setting: Swedish)
System Manufacturer: Alienware
System Model: Alienware 17 R4
BIOS: 1.6.0 (type: UEFI)
Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-6820HK CPU @ 2.70GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
Memory: 32768MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 32646MB RAM
Page File: 11196MB used, 22248MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 12
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: 144 DPI (150 percent)
System DPI Setting: 144 DPI (150 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: UnKnown

In order to demonstrate the severity of the multiplayer issue, I compiled my two latest gaming sessions when in co-op. For both of these I was joining another person’s game. On wednesday we averaged 11 mins per crash, and today slightly over 7 mins per crash. I have disabled all background apps on my PC to try to isolate my issue, but as we can see it is still a frequent problem.

I’m NOT trying to be a complainer here, or to not contribute positively to the discussion, rather my purpose is to verify with you guys if this is a “normal” statistic for you as well, or if its something on my end.

Maybe the team at @SR_knivspark could help us out also. Would be great to know, according to their crash reports, what is the most likely cause of co-op crashes to the game. Like, does the user data point at any particular root cause?

Edit: see my dxdiag in my previous post.

1 Like

The Rivals update is Not more stable, possibly less actually. Still crashing when playing Multi (or even solo) at regular intervals, sometimes it locks up so I cannot send the error report in.

I can confirm some of these observation
Platform: PC

I can solo play all day long without any crashed or problem, dont even remember when last crashed in solo.
But when multiplayer with fiend, things start to go bad. Loot opening problems, fighting tanks crash game.

And some of these problems seems to tie up with host, who suffers. Not so much the client, this is my experience.
Yesterday was levelling rivals to kill with my friend, and was then hosting. And started to have all the same problems what my friend had when he hosted the game.

Sync issues i think might be the use of UDP protocol for syncing the movement of players / robots in game. (havent check this, just a hunch. correct if i am wrong) So computers just send these packets to each other, and now and then they sync.
It might be even worse with bad net connection or when latency is getting high.

Playing on PC.

For some friends it always work to join my session.
But for some friends, they need to start their character first, in the game. Then join my game. If they just click “join Contoso” in Steam, then it G0 crash for everyone.