Multiplayer, your different characters share the same game world

Platform:
[PC]
Description:
Played a multiplayer game with a friend, I was host inviting him. We decided to create new characters to start from the beginning - but when I started the game I started in the same Safe house as my old character, although without XP or loot.

Fast travel to the beginning Safe House but the game progress still showed the old story line. We both had to delete both our characters to start over in a new game from the beginning!

Each character should be linked to it’s own world and progress! It’s also a bit strange that you carry over any progress from a multiplayer game to a solo game (maybe only as a Host if you continue playing after other players log off?)

The WORLD and it’s state should be central, not the Characters? Of course that creates the dilemma what to do with invited characters to your game, if they’ve played solo or in other games, not sure - should their state between each mission be saved and used to match an invite to a game and that game worlds state? Or should all game worlds be kept separate? The game tells you that any progress is lost, when deleting, but it’s only the character, not the game world.

Another bug: When we started over, my friend could NOT see any starting items to pick up, only the symbol for the gun, flashlight etc, but no items. Had to restart again and rehost a game.

The game has crashed a couple of times too, hope you’ll sort out those bugs soon! <3
Images / Videos:

Host or Client:
Tried Host, Client and Solo games
Players in your game:
Two
Specifications:
Language: Swedish
MB: MSI, MS-7751
CPU: Intel i7-3770K 3.5 GHz
Memory: 32 GB
DirectX: DirectX 12
Graphics card: NVidia GeForce GTX 980 Ti (6 GB vram)
Screens: 3 x 27" (Dell U2715H, 2560 x 1440)
Sound: Realtek Digital Output, Logitech G35 Headset
Network: 250 mbit down, 50 mbit up
Client: PC, (DVD but connected to Steam and updated)

your characters sharing the same world and mission log is how they intended it to be, not a bug.

I’ve come to understand that, doesn’t seam logical though, you should be able to play several parallell games with different progress? Especially if one is solo and one is with friends in multiplayer. At least it should be a choice if you want several characters in the same game world or not.

1 Like

in a stream he said it was so you can try out different roles and skills without starting a new game. I think they are exploring ways to change it. I think they should have each game like it is but let us have multiple save files

3 Likes

Honestly, I think that was something they came up with on the spot instead of actually thinking about it. The fact that the fixed weapon pickups are shared and can only be gotten once (barring bugs) combined with how insanely hard it is to get reasonable amounts of XP without being able to do missions or clear out the handful of fixed groups of robots that don’t respawn means that it’s kind of impossible to effectively use the shared game world the way they’re saying it was intended to be used.

1 Like