My Save Game has disipeared

PC (Steam)

I was playing fine on 12/09/2019
I launched game today to have new privacy statement request so I agree.
I arrive at main menu only to have only new game option…

I relaunched game several times, I verified game data. I went on forums and looked for solutions.

timothywagner is the only person I play with, we only play this game together something together

r7 1700, 32gb 2666ddr4, radeon fury.

What do you see in your C:\Users\ your user name \Documents\Avalanche Studios\GenerationZero\ folder? If there’s a Saves folder, what’s in that?

Hopefully you’ll have a folder with a name of numbers, and inside that there might be a savegame.bac.

Although if you’re getting a privacy statement I’m guessing it will be empty.

We all had a privacy statement i have had 2 since april launch

I can confirm that I had another privacy statement after the DLC update.

Maybe something in this thread can help you?

Sure, but when you delete your saves, the game doesn’t know what you’ve agreed to so you get asked again. I haven’t seen an agreement since the last patch, but folks on steam often do when they’ve “lost their saves”. I’m hoping we can find a backup for OP, but the presence of the agreement notification isn’t in their favour.

I have seen reports here that data for a specific game state is saved at 2 or 3 different locations. I would love a developer to give a short how-to on backing up and restoring the game data as well as on starting over.

1 Like

I have a new PC with clean install, recently. The usual Generation Zero folder was all I needed to carry on as normal. I’ve backed up saves before and poked around a bit and everything is in that folder (and subfolders). There was that incident with saves going to another folder (which was hotfixed), and according to a steam poster it happened again when they had another crashing period recently, but I don’t believe that’s intended.
The save game file is basically a spreadsheet of the world state - your character details, inventory, mission state. The .bac is a backup, and the setttings.json is a list of what you’ve configured on the menu. It’s simple and straightforward as it should be.

I’d like some clarity as well.

When steam sync is involved it can cause a little difficulty sometimes.

How you describe it is how I understood it so far. Other reports had worried me a bit.